The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can't comprehend this one (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57455-cant-comprehend-one.html)

Zoochy Sun Mar 07, 2010 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 666830)
When the whole gym hears it it is an automatic WHACK at all levels (youth, jr. H.S., H.S., and college).

MTD, Sr.

OK... what if this player has turrets?:D

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 07:25pm

I'm Sure That You Mean Tourette's (Tourette Syndrome) ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 666856)
What if this player has turrets?

I'm certainly not going to T up that player. That gun really scares me. Let him swear all he wants to. In fact, if it will stop him from shooting me, I'll make some profanity suggestions that would make a sailor blush.

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/a94544818a29666c

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 07, 2010 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 666857)
I'm certainly not going to T up that player. That gun really scares me. Let him swear all he wants to. In fact, if it will stop him from shooting me, I'll make some profanity suggestions that would make a sailor blush.

He has a cannon for an arm.

Zoochy Sun Mar 07, 2010 07:38pm

Sorry... I had a spelling malfunction.

deecee Sun Mar 07, 2010 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 666857)

billy you are on a roll the last couple days.

jeffpea Sun Mar 07, 2010 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 666838)
I would be greatly disappointed in any official who would have a problem in charging a player with a TF in this circumstance. This is even a TF in Special Olympics.

MTD, Sr.

MTD - consider yourself disappointed in me...'cause I'm not calling that in a HS and definitely not in a college game.

imho an official has to ask himself/herself this question: "who was the unsportsman-like conduct directed towards?" certainly not an official, or opposing player, or coach, or fan...therefore, i'm not calling that...

BillyMac Sun Mar 07, 2010 08:20pm

Had To Be There ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 666874)
An official has to ask himself/herself this question: "who was the unsportsmanlike conduct directed towards?" certainly not an official, or opposing player, or coach, or fan...therefore, I'm not calling that...

High school game. I kind'a agree, but for me it would come down to just how loud it was, and just how loud the crowd was. Not so loud in a crowded, loud, gym. Pass. Really loud in a gym with a few quiet people. Technical.

Even in the first case, I wouldn't ignore it, but would say a few words to the player discouraging him from doing it again.

asdf Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 666874)
MTD - consider yourself disappointed in me...'cause I'm not calling that in a HS and definitely not in a college game.

imho an official has to ask himself/herself this question: "who was the unsportsman-like conduct directed towards?" certainly not an official, or opposing player, or coach, or fan...therefore, i'm not calling that...

Replace the profanity with the player slamming the ball down in frustration, whiffing on the "catch" as the ball comes up off the ground and it ends up 15 feet above the floor..........

We're shooting fouls shots in each situation.

APG Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 666896)
Replace the profanity with the player slamming the ball down in frustration, whiffing on the "catch" as the ball comes up off the ground and it ends up 15 feet above the floor..........

That very situation isn't an automatic for everyone. I remember there was a huge, long thread discussing this after the Kansas vs. Memphis National Championship game where they passed on a technical in a situation very similar to this.

JRutledge Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:13pm

Quote:

Who is we? Do not speak for me on this one. :rolleyes:

Peace

deecee Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22pm

Quote:

really? we are? why do you say so?

asdf Mon Mar 08, 2010 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 666898)
Who is we? Do not speak for me on this one. :rolleyes:

Peace

We, as in the crew that I am working with that night.

I do not speak for anyone other than myself.

asdf Mon Mar 08, 2010 06:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 666897)
That very situation isn't an automatic for everyone. I remember there was a huge, long thread discussing this after the Kansas vs. Memphis National Championship game where they passed on a technical in a situation very similar to this.

Just because they passed on it does not mean they were correct.

They got reamed for it.

asdf Mon Mar 08, 2010 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 666900)
really? we are? why do you say so?

How about throwing it against the wall?

How about booting it into the empty seats behind the basket?

How about throwing it aginst the backboard?

Where do you draw the line?

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 08, 2010 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 666919)
How about throwing it against the wall?

How about booting it into the empty seats behind the basket?

How about throwing it aginst the backboard?

Where do you draw the line?

And that was Jeff's point.....

Every official draws their very own line. And every official has their own opinion as to whether unsporting conduct was involved.

Personally, if a player hollers an expletive after a missed FT that is loud enough to be heard in every corner of the gym, that's an automatic "T" to me.

Of course, it's always not a bad idea to have some kind of clue as to how your assignor/evaluator likes to see this kind of play called also...as well as how they want to handle the other examples listed above(within reason, of course. There aren't any absolutes when it comes to "T"s). Asking a few questions in a meeting at the start of the season might save you a few headaches down the line. Don't fight Head Office. :)