The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure he'd appreciate dinner and a cold beverage with his son afterwards. Something signed by the crew. Last season one of my baseball partners kept a "pearl" in the back of his bags on the plate when we worked my first sub-state game together. After the game he handed it to me signed when we went out for a beer. I have it on my desk now. It's more about him taking the time to recognize me getting the game than the ball itself. That and the fact that he is a little older than me and I have tremendous respect for him as an official and as a person.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

All great ideas. Really appreciate the thoughts from this group.

Officiating is one of those few things that is a "just dad and me" kind of activity. We've been able to call a couple games together over the years, but for the most part we've never lived close enough when I've been officiating to do it. But we talk much more often during basketball and it's always about the latest game, or a situation we saw on TV, or what's coming up on the schedule. I've always been close with my dad, but officiating has done nothing but bring us closer.

Sorry to keep going on and on, I'm just a really proud and happy son. Can't wait to hear his thoughts afterwards.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jdw3018;666551]All great ideas. Really appreciate the thoughts from this group.

Officiating is one of those few things that is a "just dad and me" kind of activity. We've been able to call a couple games together over the years, but for the most part we've never lived close enough when I've been officiating to do it. But we talk much more often during basketball and it's always about the latest game, or a situation we saw on TV, or what's coming up on the schedule. I've always been close with my dad, but officiating has done nothing but bring us closer.

JDW,

My son and I have called a college game and a State Tournament together and both were very memorable for me. I wished that we had documented it in some fashion or other like the folks on this board has suggested. One of the members in our high school group got to go up to Oak Hill in Virginia last Sunday and call one of their games with his Dad. I believe he has requested video.

I encourage you to go way, way out of your way to memoralize this milestone. Who knows when, or if, he'll make it back.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 04:32pm
Livin' The Dream

how about a watch?
with the State Association Logo in it....State Tournament Official.
that is what I got when I did my one game for the State of Iowa. But they supplied it. I am sure you could find a company on the web to make you one. Customlogowatches.com actually has some as I looked quickly. Something he could take with him and have with him all the time!
Congrats to him!
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
All great ideas. Really appreciate the thoughts from this group.

Sorry to keep going on and on, I'm just a really proud and happy son. Can't wait to hear his thoughts afterwards.
Not sure your dad is a grandpappy but what a neat thing to pass on and have everyone remember not only the event but a timeless photo/DVD of your father..
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 06:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Your point?
I took a gamble that you would know. I guess I lost.