The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mechanics

Watching a 1990 NCAA game on ESPNClassic (Alabama - Loyola Marymount, Hank Gathers ann'y game).

They are using three officials and I realize mechanics have changed a lot for the better since then, like rotations and such, but some of these things really just make me scratch my head...

- Sideline throw-in table side. T administers throw-in. C is behind the trail vertically. Looks really strange with 2 guys on the same sideline and the guy on the other sideline isn't between them (or even close).
- Similar scenario -- frontcourt sideline throw-in opposite. C administers. L comes across ball-side. T still remains behind the C.
- Backcourt endline throw-in near the corner opposite the table. T administers throw-in (obviously by handing it, not bouncing it .. who knew that bouncing would be such a good mechanic?). C is ~20ft away. L is well into the frontcourt. T has to sprint after the ball is inbounded to get to the tableside sideline. (Nothing wrong with sprinting, but this was not necessary at all).

- Last... less of a comment, more of a question: at some point was there a decision that between the lane lines as the L was not a good place to be? There was an emphasis recently on pinching(?) the lane. In this 1990 game, the L routinely stood nearly directly under the basket and kind of wandered back and forth (I suppose it was less important to let your partners know which side you were on because they knew you would come back tableside). So my question is did staying outside the lane ever become emphasized? Anybody know when?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

My first camp -- in 1990 -- the camp director (now defunct conference supervisor) made it clear to us to stay out of the lane.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Watching a 1990 NCAA game on ESPNClassic (Alabama - Loyola Marymount, Hank Gathers ann'y game).

They are using three officials and I realize mechanics have changed a lot for the better since then, like rotations and such, but some of these things really just make me scratch my head...

- Sideline throw-in table side. T administers throw-in. C is behind the trail vertically. Looks really strange with 2 guys on the same sideline and the guy on the other sideline isn't between them (or even close).
- Similar scenario -- frontcourt sideline throw-in opposite. C administers. L comes across ball-side. T still remains behind the C.

Up until about 3 (or 4?) years ago, C would be "temporary T" if T needed to be below about the 28' mark to administer the throw-in. This way, if the ball was inbounded into the backcourt, or stolen for a fast-break, someone would be able to cover.