The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

T or no call

Team B up by four with 20 seconds left, team A launches a three that is an air-ball, wide left by about a foot. B1, on the right side of the basket, jumps for the rebound, contacts the the net while the try is in the air and grabs long enough to move the rim.

Clearly not BI according to 6-1, 6-2, or 6-4, because the ball never made it to the basket or cylinder. But is it a technical according to 10-3-4b?

I was in the stands, but my good friend ruled no call because he thought it to be unintentional. 10-3-4b does say intentional. On the other hand, if he was going for the rebound he had no reason (other than instinct) to grab the net.

This was a HS noncompetitive rec league, but it was the championship game. I was not the ref because my son was playing and I disqualified myself. Oh yeah- my son won!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Assuming he let go immediately, nothing.

Question, where was the ball when he grabbed the net? If it was already clear it wouldn't be successful, the try is over so 10-3-4b doesn't apply. the ball may still be in flight, but the "try" is not.

It would have to be obvious that it was intentional to even consider it. Maybe a pull-up or two.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Question, where was the ball when he grabbed the net?
His initial jump was timed for the rebound, so the ball was still in the air and not yet quite below rim level. If the ball had hit the rim, it may have been a candidate for BI, since it would have hit about the same time as he moved the rim.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
His initial jump was timed for the rebound, so the ball was still in the air and not yet quite below rim level. If the ball had hit the rim, it may have been a candidate for BI, since it would have hit about the same time as he moved the rim.
Fair enough, but unless it's obvious he did it inentionally or he gained some advantage with it, I don't think it's anything.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That is what I thought as well and that is what my friend called.

But, since my son's team was the benefactor of the no call, I told him I would get a second opinion.

During the game, only one fan noticed and ask me (since he knew I was a ref) so it was not too controversial.