The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Running Clock being proposed in WIAA Executive Assembly

Decided to browse through the interface called the world wide web, & happened to browse through the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) Website. One of the proposed amendments that's going to be voted upon is to do a running clock for basketball.

"ML/HS AMENDMENT #8
52.7.0 BASKETBALL, page 85 NEW ARTICLE

52.7.0 NFHS Basketball Rule 5-5-3, utilizing a 40-point differential, will apply for all regular season & postseason contests. Beginning in the second
half, if the point differential is 40 points or more, the game clock shall run
continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s timeout,
a charged time-out, time between quarters, or the administration of
free throws.
Note: Current 52.7.0 would become 52.8.0
Rationale/Pros/Cons for HS Amendment #8:
1. Establishes a point differential rule in basketball in all classifications.
2. Current NFHS basketball rule 5-section 6-article 3 note allows state associations, by adoption, to modify score clock rules when agreed upon point differentials exist.
3. It is difficult to control team efforts when a contest is no longer competitive. Asking reserves not to give their best effort increases the chance of injury and is humiliating for both teams.
4. Often teams suit up only ten players, which make modifying play more difficult. In addition, many programs play their reserves for two or three quarters in junior varsity games, limiting the possible substitutions that can take place.
5. Non-competitive games compromise the spirit of the game, making it difficult to maintain good sportsmanship by both teams.
6. Preference is to speed up the game clock, rather than to terminate the game."

For those states that do use the running clock rule, what are the pros & cons to it?

What do you think of the running clock?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

probably not the best person to respond, but...

We don't have the rule in Iowa, and I hope we never adopt it; I can see its usefulness in football, where an inferior team can be physically beaten down. But basketball? No one gets hurt physically by made jumpers and lay-ups. Coaches with big leads can, and typically will, pull off the dogs, play zone, etc. We need to stop worrying so much about 'feelings' -- you can't convince me that a running clock is less humiliating than a 50 point beatdown... sorry, but that happens in sports sometimes -- deal with it! OK need to climb down my soapbox now...
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

The only thing I suggest is if they do adopt it make a provision that once its hits 40 do not revert back to regular clock unless by some miracle it drops to say 20 or so. That will prevent the running-not running-running-not running crap.

In Missouri its 30 but will revert to normal clock under 30, so when teams trade buckets its always flip flopping. The game is over by then, just play it out with the clock running.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We use it in our metro league at the jv level. I like it, but not enough to lobby for it.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:46am
Esteemed Participant

One of the reasons they are looking at the "mercy rule" is that WA adopted the shot clock in boy's basketball this season - we have had it in girl's games for quite some time. So the team that is way ahead can't simply pull the ball out and work on their stall, or use lots of clock on each possession. If they don't shoot, it's a turnover - no coach is going to let that happen.

Worst game I have ever had was a girl's Varsity game - final score was 110-11. Mercy rule would have made it more like 60-10. Easier to swallow for everyone involved.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Pennsylvania's mercy rule kicks in at 40 points anytime in the 2nd half. The clock remains running, until the game is over, regardless of the point differential. The only time the clock stops is for an injury, a time-out or after an official reports a foul requiring free throws.

If you're down by 40, everyone wants the game over as soon as possible. This helps.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That, A Very Long Time Ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
If you're down by 40, everyone wants the game over as soon as possible.
Everyone except the reserves sitting down at the very end of the bench. Depending on which side of the scorer's table we were seated at, I played either the left bench, or the right bench, position. I had that position nailed down. Almost literally.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota Mercy Rule

In Minnesota the mercy rule is only in the last 9 minutes of second half, ahead by 35 or more. It reverts to regular timing when the defecit is under 30.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
One of the reasons they are looking at the "mercy rule" is that WA adopted the shot clock in boy's basketball this season - we have had it in girl's games for quite some time. So the team that is way ahead can't simply pull the ball out and work on their stall, or use lots of clock on each possession. If they don't shoot, it's a turnover - no coach is going to let that happen.

Worst game I have ever had was a girl's Varsity game - final score was 110-11. Mercy rule would have made it more like 60-10. Easier to swallow for everyone involved.
RockyRoad,

Since Washington's using the shot clock for Boys' now, what's been your thought of it. Has it helped speed up games?

What are your overall thoughts of the proposal of the mercy rule with the 40 point differential in the 2nd Half? Should it stay running even if the score gets closer or keep the running clock throughout no matter the score?

I had a game earlier in GV where the final score was 68-8.

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 08:23pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

DE has the mercy rule. It only kicks in if the point differential is 35 points or more in the 4th quarter only. It reverts back to stop clock if the lead falls back to 25 points. it is not used in the State Tournament. Once the rule kicks in, the clock only stops for timeouts.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
RockyRoad,

Since Washington's using the shot clock for Boys' now, what's been your thought of it. Has it helped speed up games?

What are your overall thoughts of the proposal of the mercy rule with the 40 point differential in the 2nd Half? Should it stay running even if the score gets closer or keep the running clock throughout no matter the score?

I had a game earlier in GV where the final score was 68-8.
I'm not sure that the shot clock has really had that big of an impact. Most of the boys teams in this area want to play up-tempo anyway (whether they have the talent or not!)...so I guess my feelings are mixed. I don't mind it, but I'm not completely sold on it either.

As for the "mercy rule", we need it. Especially in the smaller classifications there are some very lopsided games and I think this would help with some of the garbage that goes on late in those games. The WIAA instituted the same type of rule in football this past fall, and the team I coach was on both sides of the "mercy" one time each...it was very good to have.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRobinson View Post
In Minnesota the mercy rule is only in the last 9 minutes of second half, ahead by 35 or more. It reverts to regular timing when the defecit is under 30.
We've had it for 2-3 years and I've had 2-4 games out of 30-35 games per year when it has been used. I have not heard any negative comments from ADs, coaches or players. All officials I've worked with are pro-mercy rule.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

CA's Version

California also uses the mercy rule:

1607. MERCY RULE
When at the conclusion of the third quarter, or any point thereafter, if there is a point differential of 40 or more points, a running clock shall be instituted for the remainder of the game, regardless of the score. This applies to all
levels of play.

The clock only stops for officials and team timeouts!
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I'm not sure that the shot clock has really had that big of an impact. Most of the boys teams in this area want to play up-tempo anyway (whether they have the talent or not!)...so I guess my feelings are mixed. I don't mind it, but I'm not completely sold on it either.

As for the "mercy rule", we need it. Especially in the smaller classifications there are some very lopsided games and I think this would help with some of the garbage that goes on late in those games. The WIAA instituted the same type of rule in football this past fall, and the team I coach was on both sides of the "mercy" one time each...it was very good to have.
Well one thing I've noticed is that for the Boys' games the scores are a bit higher than in the past cause of the addition of the shot clock.

Concerning the smaller classifications, I know what you mean. That GV game where the score ended 68-8 was between 2 1A teams. However, one team had talent throughout the team, while the other team had only one player that had any real good potential.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

In Montana, the rule is running clock after 40 points in the 2nd half. Does not change if the score goes under 40. Has not been a problem, but has helped prevent very lopsided scores in the lower classes. I feel that it has helped prevent the hard fouls and upset players just by shortning the game. I have only worked two games that have used this rule out of 90 in the last 2 years. I would say that it has not been disruptive and is probably a good tool.