The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 01:04pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
I actually teach at the school in question. The kid was indeed a 5th year senior (don't know how he ended up at the school in that circumstance) and the school did indeed self-report resulting in the 4 forfieted wins. However, the school, not the kid, appealed to the state to overturn the appeal based on the player's limited playing time and impact on the 4 wins (he joined the team late in the season so there were only the 4 wins in question).

Our school's head coach, AD, & Assistant Principal over athletics joined a teleconference on Thursday (I think) with the state and the same reps from the 3 schools in the 4 games in question. One school who our kids had beaten twice said the player in question had no impact on the wins; the other 2 schools said he did have an impact. So, on Friday morning the state announced 2 forfiets were overturned and 2 weren't, resulting in the team reclaiming the 2nd seed vice missing the tournament. The resultant 4th & 5th place teams played a play-in game on Friday night...don't know how that turned out.

On Saturday night my school hosted a post-season game for the first time in forever. The gym holds about 2500 people and it was probably 40-45% full, a HUGE attendance for the school (though at least half were there for the rival team from about 3-4 miles away). The place was rocking and the kids were pumped. Unfortunately the other team played an excellent game and our boys absorbed a 17 point beat down that wasn't even that close. Talk about anti-climactic. As a loyal fan for the home team on this night I wanted to blame the officials...my association mates ...but they called an excellent game.

Oh well...made for an interesting week.
There are many different versions of this story. I have had your team this year and they were a pretty good team; they surprised many local officials. You did kind of leave out the fact that the player on the other team had 42 points, 5 steals, 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

Do you officiate basketball?
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
There are many different versions of this story. I have had your team this year and they were a pretty good team; they surprised many local officials. You did kind of leave out the fact that the player on the other team had 42 points, 5 steals, 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

Do you officiate basketball?
I do officiate basketball, so I've only had a couple chances to see the team from my school play this year. They have some skill but still need more discipline. As for the kid who scored 42 with all the 5's, he was outstanding (I didn't realize he had scored that many points until later when I read the article in the paper), but the lack of defense from my school's kids sure made it easier for him and his teammates (not to take anything away from them). And I did mention that the winners played very, very well They could give PVHS a run in the next game.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Nevada!