The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Congrats to Nevada (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57248-congrats-nevada.html)

tomegun Sat Feb 20, 2010 04:42pm

Congrats to Nevada

Congrats to Nevada! He will be working games in the state tournament next week in Reno.

On another note, our state tournament almost didn't happen...on time. A team self-reported an ineligible player and was forced to forfeit 4 games. This moved them from second place out of the playoffs. Well, one of the players went to court and the playoffs on that half of town (boys) were delayed.

The zone final was supposed to be played last night, but will be played on Tuesday now. Here is what happened:

The decision was made to give back two victories and the team made the playoffs. I heard two versions of what happened: 1) The player in question was a fifth-year senior and 2) The player in question took some high school classes as an 8th-grader and that started his eligibility. If it was the latter, I think the state shouldn't have penalized the team in the first place. At any rate, the victories were given back because this player was the last player off the bench and his team won the two victories by 30 points or so - he didn't determine the outcome.

Now, the winning team will have to play today, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday in Reno and Friday in Reno. If the team happens to take a bus to Reno, that is a 450 mile trip!

grunewar Sat Feb 20, 2010 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 663325)
Congrats to Nevada! He will be working games in the state tournament next week in Reno.

Congrats Nevada! Good for you!

Quote:

On another note, our state tournament almost didn't happen...on time. A team self-reported an ineligible player and was forced to forfeit 4 games. This moved them from second place out of the playoffs. Well, one of the players went to court and the playoffs on that half of town (boys) were delayed.

Our local HS finished the season 19-0 (ranked #2 in the state) and was found to have an academically ineligible player after their first round of the playoffs. Their appeals were denied. Done. Gone.

Really a sad way to end the season.....now, we'll see who knew what when....

dsqrddgd909 Sat Feb 20, 2010 08:38pm

Congrats Nevada!

Welpe Sat Feb 20, 2010 08:55pm

Congrats Nevada!

tjones1 Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:19pm

Congratulations Nevada!!

Good luck and have fun.

BillyMac Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:38pm

I Had To Ask ...

Quote:

What sport?

Camron Rust Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 663353)
What sport?

This is getting a bit old. :rolleyes:

Congrats NEVADA!!!!

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45pm

Congrats Nevada,
From the Golden State

Raymond Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 663339)
Congrats Nevada! Good for you!

Our local HS finished the season 19-0 (ranked #2 in the state) and was found to have an academically ineligible player after their first round of the playoffs. Their appeals were denied. Done. Gone.

Really a sad way to end the season.....now, we'll see who knew what when....

Oh, you live in Hayfield?

We had a girls team down here lose their #1 seed and a home game in the 1st round of the regionals b/c they had an extra game on their schedule. They didn't actually play an extra game, but they participated in a holiday tournament in which they played 3 games but could have played 4. The VHSL says schools have to count ALL POSSIBLE games from tournaments.

BillyMac Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25am

Congrats NEVADA !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 663367)
This is getting a bit old.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I have never before asked Nevada what sport he was going to officiate in the playoffs. Others, yes. Nevada, I don't think so.

Why are we congratulating a state for having playoffs? Don't all states have playoffs?

walter Sun Feb 21, 2010 02:03pm

Congrats Nevada have fun!!!!

JRutledge Sun Feb 21, 2010 04:01pm

Congrats Nevada. I am sure it is well deserved.

Peace

jearef Sun Feb 21, 2010 05:15pm

Congratulations and good luck, Nevada. Enjoy the experience. :D

Corndog89 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19pm

Quote:

The zone final was supposed to be played last night, but will be played on Tuesday now. Here is what happened:

The decision was made to give back two victories and the team made the playoffs. I heard two versions of what happened: 1) The player in question was a fifth-year senior and 2) The player in question took some high school classes as an 8th-grader and that started his eligibility. If it was the latter, I think the state shouldn't have penalized the team in the first place. At any rate, the victories were given back because this player was the last player off the bench and his team won the two victories by 30 points or so - he didn't determine the outcome.

Now, the winning team will have to play today, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday in Reno and Friday in Reno. If the team happens to take a bus to Reno, that is a 450 mile trip!

I actually teach at the school in question. The kid was indeed a 5th year senior (don't know how he ended up at the school in that circumstance) and the school did indeed self-report resulting in the 4 forfieted wins. However, the school, not the kid, appealed to the state to overturn the appeal based on the player's limited playing time and impact on the 4 wins (he joined the team late in the season so there were only the 4 wins in question).

Our school's head coach, AD, & Assistant Principal over athletics joined a teleconference on Thursday (I think) with the state and the same reps from the 3 schools in the 4 games in question. One school who our kids had beaten twice said the player in question had no impact on the wins; the other 2 schools said he did have an impact. So, on Friday morning the state announced 2 forfiets were overturned and 2 weren't, resulting in the team reclaiming the 2nd seed vice missing the tournament. The resultant 4th & 5th place teams played a play-in game on Friday night...don't know how that turned out.

On Saturday night my school hosted a post-season game for the first time in forever. The gym holds about 2500 people and it was probably 40-45% full, a HUGE attendance for the school (though at least half were there for the rival team from about 3-4 miles away). The place was rocking and the kids were pumped. Unfortunately the other team played an excellent game and our boys absorbed a 17 point beat down that wasn't even that close. Talk about anti-climactic. As a loyal fan for the home team on this night I wanted to blame the officials...my association mates :)...but they called an excellent game.

Oh well...made for an interesting week.

stripes Mon Feb 22, 2010 09:57am

Congrats Nevada.

Go make us proud.