The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Handler OOB?

Had this last night.

A1 is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt close to the sideline. He is getting blocked out towards the line and decides to let the ball go (he was dribbling) as he stepped on the line. He then however did not regain possession of the ball and let one of teammates grab the loose ball.

Was this a correct no call?? From what I observed he knew he was going OOB and sort of pushed the ball forward towards the division line and then stepped OOB. His teammate then grabbed the ball and continued up the court.

I know the book says even though a ball handler is not in contact with the ball if he has possession of a dribble and steps OOB, it is OOB.

Thanks
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Had this last night.

A1 is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt close to the sideline. He is getting blocked out towards the line and decides to let the ball go (he was dribbling) as he stepped on the line. He then however did not regain possession of the ball and let one of teammates grab the loose ball.

Was this a correct no call?? From what I observed he knew he was going OOB and sort of pushed the ball forward towards the division line and then stepped OOB. His teammate then grabbed the ball and continued up the court.

I know the book says even though a ball handler is not in contact with the ball if he has possession of a dribble and steps OOB, it is OOB.

Thanks
Since it was next touched by a teammate, it was a pass rather than a dribble. You may have to be patient to see which it is in plays like this. Iff A1 had retured inbounds to continue the dribble, it "might" be a violation. You then have to decide if it was an interrupted dribble (not a violation) or not (violation).