The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

John Clougherty says it....

ACC Coordinator of officials thinks (some) officials work too much.

Link

Quote:
I think they work too much. There are times they are tired. I was tired. I worked 85 games in one year, and a lot of my guys work just as much. But a lot of them get their rest, in fairness to them.

They have a routine. They get to their site, they get lunch, they get a nap and they get ready for their game. Then they get ready for their next game. They take the first flight in the morning, they get to the site, they get lunch, nap and then they get ready.

I’m telling you, though, I think some of them work too much. They get tired. Does it affect their officiating? Some of my coaches think it does. I’m not certain that the numbers don’t prove it out.

I have no control over that. I wouldn’t even think about telling my top guys, who work multiple leagues, that they can’t do that. I have an option not to assign them ACC games. But once I assign them my ACC games, they have the right to go anywhere they want to referee after they get my games. Their commitment to me is to take my games first. They can then take those and go wherever they want. They’re independent contractors; I can’t tell them not to.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

At least he recognizes that under the current system, he has no control.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

He has "some" say over that. It is just whether he wants to use it. I know I have been told in some leagues what I can and cannot do or I will not work their league. He could do that same thing as it relates to his conference, but of course like he said he has no control over another conference.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yep, he could, but he doesn't want to lose the big dogs by telling them they are limited on how many games they can work if they want to work for him. And he certainly couldn't just tell the younger guys that while allowing the big dogs to do whatever they want. Well, I suppose maybe he could, but....
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And he certainly couldn't just tell the younger guys that while allowing the big dogs to do whatever they want. Well, I suppose maybe he could, but....
But it works so well elsewhere...
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He has "some" say over that. It is just whether he wants to use it. I know I have been told in some leagues what I can and cannot do or I will not work their league. He could do that same thing as it relates to his conference, but of course like he said he has no control over another conference.

Peace
Totally agree. He's basically saying the same thing the coaches say: "They work too much, but I want them working my games as much as possible."

He could easily expand his roster and assign his big dawgs fewer games in his other conference, the Colonial (CAA).
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Did you read the quote?

He says he lets his officials know he has first dibs on their schedules. Once he has them scheduled, though, he has no control over how many games outside of the ACC they take, since they're independent contractors.

What else would you have him do?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Did you read the quote?

He says he lets his officials know he has first dibs on their schedules. Once he has them scheduled, though, he has no control over how many games outside of the ACC they take, since they're independent contractors.

He could require them to have a certain number of days off if they want to continue getting games from him. In order to do so, however, he'd have to put some teeth into the policy.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Did you read the quote?

Assign them fewer games. Utilize more of his roster. Expand his CAA and ACC rosters. Require his officials be in the host city a certain amount of hours before gametime.

There are things he could do. But he is just like the coaches--HIS games aren't the problem, it's those OTHER games that create the "overwork".

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 11:08am.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He could require them to have a certain number of days off if they want to continue getting games from him. In order to do so, however, he'd have to put some teeth into the policy.
That would be hard to enforce. He could require them to arrive on site 24 hours ahead of the game to ensure that they're rested for his games.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yep, he could, but he doesn't want to lose the big dogs by telling them they are limited on how many games they can work if they want to work for him. And he certainly couldn't just tell the younger guys that while allowing the big dogs to do whatever they want. Well, I suppose maybe he could, but....
I agree with that. But maybe you need to put your foot down and make a policy and stick to it that works for your league. Maybe other leagues will follow and you can get more guys in the mix that can work. I love many of the big names, but other officials can work too. And if you only want to give games to guys that will not even in many cases work deep into the post season, then what is going to happen in a year like this when many of the big timers are hurt. I think at some point you have to set a standard if you truly believe that certain officials are tired because they worked 10 days in a row. I am much younger than many that do that, and I get tired over working 2 or 3 days in a row.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Did you read the quote?

You must not understand what I said then. Because he could require things that would make it difficult to work other games before and even after his games.

I have a college assignor that told us that he does not want anyone double dipping on the day of his games. And if he finds out he will fire us from his league. Now what we do afterward is up to us, but we are not going to work a high school game in the morning and then his college league in the afternoon or evening (usually on a Saturday). Now a guy working D1 is more than likely on TV or there is a box score somewhere that will record who worked the games. Yes we are independent contractors but he can make a policy that will lessen what we work if we want to work his league. And if those that value his league (which is considered by many the best league in the country if you let the media tell it), then you will accommodate him. It is not that hard to do if he really wanted to do it.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Exactly. If he really wanted to, he could. What he really means is, "I'm not willing to take the steps to enforce it with my league." He even said as much, "I have an option not to assign them ACC games."
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly. If he really wanted to, he could. What he really means is, "I'm not willing to take the steps to enforce it with my league." He even said as much, "I have an option not to assign them ACC games."
And he's not willing to take those steps because he knows he's going to lose some of the officials over it, and those are the officials that the coaches and the conference are most comfortable with.

While I agree he could take steps to make this happen - and I also agree there are more officials who can work that level than get to - I don't envy his situation.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

fellas...this is the "which comes first? the chicken or the egg" debate....

it will all be solved by the NCAA and changes that will be made to regionalize the officiating assignment process. probably something like - each region has an assignor and you can only work games at schools located in your region (where you live); that way one assignor can control how many games you work (eliminate "tired" officials), where you work (cut down on travel expenses paid by schools), and what schools you work at (regardless of conference affiliation).

probably several years away, but a strong possibility of happening....