The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 572
Last Dance by John Feinstein

I flew out to Vegas last week and picked this up in the airport bookstore...it is excellent. Story of the 2005 Final Four with a whole chapter on the Referees. Storys about Hank Nicholl's and how Mr. Rose, as an altrnate official, saved a very veteran crew from sending the wrong player to shoot free throws. All in all a very entertaining book
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
John Feinstein spends an inordinate amount of time in his books talking about bad calls by officials. At least in this one he digs a little deeper and finds out the whole story, instead of just taking a coach's word for what happened.
__________________
I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:14pm
mj mj is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
John Feinstein spends an inordinate amount of time in his books talking about bad calls by officials. At least in this one he digs a little deeper and finds out the whole story, instead of just taking a coach's word for what happened.
I have read "A March to Madness" and I'm in the middle of "The Last Amateurs". I haven't found anything out of line.

I guess I'll have to check out the one listed above too. I'm a big Feinstein fan.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 738
I have read all of John Feinstein's non-fiction sports books, and I can't remember him bashing officiating. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe "The Last Amateurs" is about the Patriot League, if I am not mistaken, and Feinstein did the official scorebook at some Patriot League games. I am sure he knew he was part of the officiating team.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
I have read all of John Feinstein's non-fiction sports books, and I can't remember him bashing officiating. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe "The Last Amateurs" is about the Patriot League, if I am not mistaken, and Feinstein did the official scorebook at some Patriot League games. I am sure he knew he was part of the officiating team.
I haven't read any of his books, but I do know he wrote that Bobby Knight story, or one of them. I vaguely remember either on this forum or on a sports talk radio show with Feinstein where Knight personally blames a certain official for totally jobbing him.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I haven't read any of his books, but I do know he wrote that Bobby Knight story, or one of them. I vaguely remember either on this forum or on a sports talk radio show with Feinstein where Knight personally blames a certain official for totally jobbing him.
A Season on the Brink
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,801
Great author - actually discusses the officiating (pretty neutrally) in most of his books.

I'm actually in the middle of A Civil War right now. Pretty good book - I just wish I had more time to read it.
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
John Feinstein spends an inordinate amount of time in his books talking about bad calls by officials. At least in this one he digs a little deeper and finds out the whole story, instead of just taking a coach's word for what happened.
I don't really see that....I've read a lot of his books, and to suggest he has it in for officials isn't really fair IMO.

"Season on the Brink" is about Bob Knight - basketball's version of John McEnroe - so OF COURSE there's going to be negative ref-talk. I believe the ref he specifically mentioned was Tom Rucker.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
I don't really see that....I've read a lot of his books, and to suggest he has it in for officials isn't really fair IMO.
I didn't mean to say that he has it in for officials. The basketball books I've read by him seems to have coaches complaining about officials (what else is new), but little in the way of rebuttal. From a writer that seems to carefully research everything, this didn't seem balanced.

I haven't read "The Last Amateurs" yet; I was refering to "A Season on the Brink" (he seems to blame the officiating for the Pan Am games incident) and "A March to Madness". I seem to recall a chapter on the quality of ACC officiating having gone down since the NBA raided their staff when the NBA went to 3-man.

Maybe this is just something that stuck out in my mind. Or a senior moment.
__________________
I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Dance Officials johnSandlin Basketball 27 Mon Mar 28, 2005 09:31am
PC fouls in the Big Dance drothamel Basketball 9 Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:42am
Big Dance Officials brianp134 Basketball 0 Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:26am
Last dance...last chance BktBallRef Basketball 11 Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:52am
The Dance of the Incredulous Coach Dan_ref Basketball 0 Thu May 01, 2003 01:16pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1