The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Least Amount of Fouls?

I had a game where neither team fouled much. It got me thinking and I believe on the varsity level this may have been the least amount I have seen. We had 5 and 3 in the first and 5 and 1 in the second. 14 Fouls. I can't remember a varsity game where I have seen fewer. How about you guys and gals?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I had a game where neither team fouled much. It got me thinking and I believe on the varsity level this may have been the least amount I have seen. We had 5 and 3 in the first and 5 and 1 in the second. 14 Fouls. I can't remember a varsity game where I have seen fewer. How about you guys and gals?
I have probably had a few times with 10 fouls or less in a game. Not very often as during the end of games team foul to get back into the game if the game is close. But I have had several games where we might not get in the bonus in each half. Not common, but it has happen and not that unusual. It usually happens when teams are playing a zone and offenses are very patient and not driving to the basket.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I was not there, but I talked to an official who worked a D-3 woman's game where the crew called -0- (none, nada, zip) fouls in the 2nd half. One team was clearly outmatched, both teams played zone, and the better team was told to run as much time off the shot clock as possible before shooting. I was at that school a week later, and the table crew confirmed this.

I asked him how much of his check he refunded back to the school. He just laughed...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

This year in a men's (w)rec(k) game between my partner and myself; we called 7 fouls for the whole game [FIBA rules - 4 x 10 minute Quarters].
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 03:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I don't have an exact number......

but, I've had games where neither team was in the bonus either half, and for me that's "winner, winner, chicken dinner!"
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I had a BV game last year where the first foul was whistled with about 4:30 left in the first half. We ended up with 4 fouls in the first half but then had a total of 12-15 in the second half. Both teams played zones and settled for outside shots most of the game.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Had a boys game last Friday with 6 (3-3) in the first half, 9 (6-3) in the second for a total of 15. Was over in about 50 minutes.

Of course, this was followed with a girls game of about a billion fouls, a blarge, two foul-outs, and two Ts. So all-in-all about an average night.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 05:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

On an "opposite" note - I have two rec games tonight with the guy who, two weeks ago, called 44 fouls in one game to my 5. The second game starts at 7:45. I expect to be home sometime before midnight - maybe. And...the gym is only three minutes from my house.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:34am
This IS My Social Life

Best Personal Experience Just Tonite

Girls' JV tonight. Only two whistles the entire first quarter, after the tweet prior to the jump ball, was for two OOB calls. NO, that is NONE, that is ZERO, I mean ZILCH -- 0 fouls the entire first half.
Wow, the second half was a real hackfest, as we finished up the game calling only five fouls total.
And they pay us for this!
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Girls' JV tonight. Only two whistles the entire first quarter, after the tweet prior to the jump ball, was for two OOB calls. NO, that is NONE, that is ZERO, I mean ZILCH -- 0 fouls the entire first half.
Wow, the second half was a real hackfest, as we finished up the game calling only five fouls total.
That is one for the record books for sure. My best case scenario on the varsity level was a 4 overtime game where the team that wound up losing didn't commit their 7th foul till late in the 3rd overtime. Don't remember about the winning team.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Had a 7G game this season in which the first half had 8 fouls total, and then the first foul of the 3rd quarter came with under 1 minute remaining. You have to love 7G zone defense by both teams. However, the following 8G game had a total of 42 fouls for the game, 26 in the first half.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 05:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I am going to guess that the 5-2 game between BFA-Fairfax and Milton HS in VT 3 or 4 seasons ago, did not have many called.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 05:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
6 total fouls

?Most boring game in the world? ends at 5-2 - Other sports- nbcsports.msnbc.com
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Least Fouls

ONE foul in the 1st half of a GV Tournament game this year. Score was tied at the half. There was literally nothing to call. The girls from both teams absolutely would not even touch one another. 7-8 fouls in the second half, so 8-9 total for the game. Had a group of other officials watching the game, and they only felt like we could have made 1-2 additional calls total. It was really interesting. Never had that happen before.

Of course, last night was entirely different! 1st half, double bonus for both teams about 2 minutes into the 2nd Q, and double bonus for one team with 3 minutes left in the 3rd Period, with team #2 getting into the double bonus with 6:50 left in the game. 55+ fouls for the game. Literally, the worst game of the season. (BV)
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:54pm
This IS My Social Life

The Best of Times...The Worst of Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Well, they got even with me tonight. 7G, an uncontrolled hackfest that took about 1-1/2 hours. 8G, a controlled hackfest in which I ejected the official scorekeeper during the game and the head coach immediately after the game.
Glad I'm getting exposure to both worlds, but one day after the other???
GV tomorrow night, BV the night after. Neither can possibly be as good as yesterday's game, nor as bad as tonight's games.