The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:37pm
We don't rent pigs

"My job is important and I have every right to stand anywhere I please as long as I'm not on the court."

Which do I dislike more, photographers or cheerleaders?

Easy, it's usually only one photographer. Herds of cheerleaders seem to get bigger every year.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Under IHSA giudelines and policies, cameras with flashes by spectators are clearly verboten.
I would have expected that in Wisconsin, not Illinois.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I would have expected that in Wisconsin, not Illinois.
(In my best German accent) "Ve have vays of extracting information Her MByron"

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 02:01pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Aside from coming to the officials lockerroom (which is not covered in the posted policy), I don't see that this photographer did anything wrong. The IHSA regs posted above say he can use a strobe and to require him to not use one requires going through the host principle before he can be asked to cease.

As long as he's not phycially in your way or harrassing you (or a player), I don't think you could directly do anything about him. You could mention it to the principle/AD, but that is about it.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Aside from coming to the officials lockerroom (which is not covered in the posted policy), I don't see that this photographer did anything wrong. The IHSA regs posted above say he can use a strobe and to require him to not use one requires going through the host principle before he can be asked to cease.

As long as he's not phycially in your way or harrassing you (or a player), I don't think you could directly do anything about him. You could mention it to the principle/AD, but that is about it.
I think I have grounds here, as the coach said his flash was distracting her players. If I told him prior to game no flashes, I agree with you, as there isn't a problem or complaint.

I also feel this wording covers us, taken from IHSA guidelines and policy. In future, I would tell host management that flashes are interferring with the conduct of the game and let them handle it. Seems pretty clear in my opinion.

News Media General Policies and Procedures, Continued
Host principals (or designee) should confer with game officials and authorized news media photographers before requiring photographers
to cease use of electronic attachments because such equipment may be allegedly causing interference with the conduct of the contest.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was not there. I cannot comment on the location or what the photographer was doing specifically. But if a photographer is "interfering" they can be removed from said position and not allowed to take shots in certain places. Most understand this and in no way try to interfere. But it is not uncommon to deal with those that push the limits and take an attitude that makes them feel obligated to be anywhere. And yes, I am the one that tells them to move. And there are also rules that apply to media people that they cannot be anywhere close to a 3 foot area around the playing court (also applies to cheerleaders). And if an official asks them to move, they must move or other actions can be taken like not continuing play until they accommodate the officials. Now in baseball this happens much more often where photographers want to be on the playing surface which is not at all allowed and there is not a "game management" person available to correct the issue. Never had a major problem in basketball, but I have had photographers that like to stand right off the end line and it is the officials that will likely run into them. I do not need anyone to tell them in that case to move. I tell them to move and that is it.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I read it the other way, in that the officials should be consulted before telling the photographers to stop. It doens't say the officials have to consult with GM.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
"My job is important and I have every right to stand anywhere I please as long as I'm not on the court."

Which do I dislike more, photographers or cheerleaders?

Easy, it's usually only one photographer. Herds of cheerleaders seem to get bigger every year.
The herds or the cheerleaders?:
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That response leads directly to me notifying game admin about the problem.

But if there is insufficient room for me to work the endline, I will be very insistent with game admin, noting that there is a safety hazard hindering me from performing my duties as an official.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Herds of cheerleaders seem to get bigger every year.
Oh, sorry. I thought you said nerds of cheerleaders.

Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

From my state cahmpionship game last year. They had video camera men under the basket on the base line. Is was the roll out stye hoop. Of course they were hanging out right on the basket suport. I was trying to rotate strong side in 2 crew and the camera man was in my way every time. I couldn't fit between him and players in the key a few times. It was very anoying.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 05:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
The herds or the cheerleaders?:
We gonna have to start diagramming sentences on here now?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I read it the other way, in that the officials should be consulted before telling the photographers to stop. It doens't say the officials have to consult with GM.
The governing body (as I read form ISHA regs) specifically said media photographers were permitted to use a strobe and only and only had to get permission to mount off-camera strobes on structures. There was no indication he was in a position he was not authorized to be in or doing anything more than taking photos. Given that, I'm not sure an official alone can tell a photographer to stop doing something that the state has said they could do if they are doing so in the location approved by the game/state admins. I think the official should deal with it through the game admin if anything.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 06:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
(In my best German accent) "Ve have vays of extracting information Herr MByron"
Der.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Der.