The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

photographer

Had my state tournament game last night, off night for me, but that's another story.

Lined up for free throws and coach of shooting team complains to me that photographer under basket is distracting he girls with his flash. I go over and ask him to stop. He gets a little huffy and starts saying IHSA allows him to do so as he leaves. At halftime, we go to a classroom rather than locker room as it's a good walk from gym. Photographer knocks on door as we tell him politely we are having our halftime meeting and please leave. Glass door closes and he again knocks on door and one of my partners says my turn. Photographer with a pissed off look now wants our names. We are now looking for the AD as he leaves.

I can't seem to find a ruling prohibiting this. We were giving him leeway being under the basket and while not a tight area, it was cozy. Rule 2.3 gives broad authority for anything not covered in book. Anybody have anything else?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Read the IHSA Terms and Conditions to see if there's anything there.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

He bothers me at halftime in the locker room and I am getting his name as the state association is going to hear about it! Here in Iowa NOBODY can be in the officials' room before, during, after the game...period.

-Josh
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:01am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see anything in the Terms and Conditions of the IHSA Tournament that says anything about photographers.

First of all you are in charge of that game. You can have anyone removed or moved if they are distracting to that game. Photographers often try to act as if they can go where they want to and do what they want to. But that is not the case, you have jurisdiction over the game and a flash during a FT is inappropriate.

And no, I would not give him my names. He is a "media person" not the IHSA representative. At best he is a fan.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

This is from the "manager's manual". Note also, that no one can be in the "safety zone" (3' beyond each baseline).

(4) Photographers—Restrictions concerning
the area(s) in which photographers may work
from, and of the facility in which the tournament
is to be conducted, should be distributed in
advance to photographers.
Photographers shall not enter the dressing
room without approval of the coach involved.
Photographers shall be allowed to work the
tournament under reasonable conditions, as
determined by the Local Manager in conjunction
with the IHSA Policy regarding news media/spectator
photography (Policy No. 29 in the IHSA official
handbook).
Spectator use of electronic lighting shall not
be permitted during play.
Authorized news media representatives, who
have identified themselves to the Local Manager
(or designee), shall be permitted to use electronic
lighting equipment throughout the course of the
tournament. Such electronic lighting can be 1)
strobe lights mounted to fixed positions at the site
and/or 2) electronic strobe attachments mounted
to a camera.
Local Managers should confer with the
coaches of the teams participating in a contest
before giving permission to authorized news
media photographers to use strobe lighting
mounted to fixed positions.
Local Managers should confer with game
officials and authorized new media photographers
before requiring photographers to cease use of
electronic strobe attachments mounted to a camera
because use of such equipment may be causing
interference with the conduct of the contest.
Jubilation photographs shall be considered
as a standard type of photography permitted following
the conclusion of contests. Properly credentialed
news photographers shall be permitted
access to the arena floor following the conclusion
of the competition to shoot jubilation photographs
of players, coaches, fans or other involved persons.
Photographers shall be instructed by Local
Managers when to retreat from the arena floor so
that trophy or award presentations may get under
way. All news photographers (whether they be
television camera operators or still photographers)
shall abide by these shooting rules.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Well it looks like this guy violated several rules.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob,

To tag on to your post, under policies and guidelines.

I'm printing this out and bringing to game tonight at same site.

35. News Media/Spectator Photography Policy
This policy applies to both regular season and state series competition conducted by IHSA member schools.
Equipment Storage: No equipment other than that which is hand carried by the photographer is allowed on the playing surface or adjacent
to it. All carrying cases, computer equipment, photography equipment and/or other not being carried by the media representative is not
to be on the playing surface or adjacent to it.
Photographer Shooting Zones: The local manager will determine photographer shooting zones. It is the responsibility of the local manager
to insure the safety of participants in the event(s) hosted by the manager’s school. The local manager has the responsibility to coordinate
the working location(s) for photographers and other media representatives covering the event.
Photographers shall be allowed to work the game/meet under reasonable conditions, as determined by the host school (principal or
designee for regular season and contests in state series prior to the state final) or IHSA Office (state finals), and the nature of the activity.
Spectator use of electronic lighting shall not be permitted.
Authorized news media representatives, who have identified themselves to the host school principal (or designee) may be permitted to
use electronic lighting equipment throughout the course of a given activity. Such electronic lighting can be either: 1) strobe lights mounted to
fixed positions and/or 2) electronic attachments mounted to a camera. The host school should make coaches and game officials aware when
permission has been granted for photographers to use electronic lighting.
Host principals (or designee) should confer with the coaches of the teams participating in a contest before giving permission to authorized
news media photographers to use strobe lighting mounted to fixed positions.
News Media/Spectator Photography Policy, Continued
—116—
News Media General Policies and Procedures, Continued
Host principals (or designee) should confer with game officials and authorized news media photographers before requiring photographers
to cease use of electronic attachments because such equipment may be allegedly causing interference with the conduct of the contest.

In hindsight, Should have alerted management to handle. At the time, it seemed easier, quicker for us to say "shoo". I'll cover that tonight in our pregame.

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 10:47am.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
In hindsight, Should have alerted management to handle. At the time, it seemed easier, quicker for us to say "shoo". I'll cover that tonight in our pregame.
I agree. And most good game management people will do whatever you request especially if it is affecting you doing your job. And it is not like you were the ones doing the complaining, you were alerted by the coach who may or may not have had a legitimate beef. And it would really be hard pressed for the photographer to hold you responsible for this action.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I agree. And most good game management people will do whatever you request especially if it is affecting you doing your job. And it is not like you were the ones doing the complaining, you were alerted by the coach who may or may not have had a legitimate beef. And it would really be hard pressed for the photographer to hold you responsible for this action.

Peace
As my partner pointed out to him, you should be able to shoot without a flash if you use the right settings. The guy was really annoying.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As my partner pointed out to him, you should be able to shoot without a flash if you use the right settings. The guy was really annoying.
I never get into that. "How you shoot is up to you. But you can't use a flash during the game."
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I never get into that. "How you shoot is up to you. But you can't use a flash during the game."
Oh, but it was fun telling him that.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Our local kids rec league has a rule prohibiting flash pictures during play. It was put in about 10 years ago when a parent standing on the corner of the endline and the sideline pressed the flash on his camera just as a kid was about to receive a hard pass. The flash temporarily "blinded" him and the ball smacked him in the face, breaking his nose!

If we see a flash go off during play, the Board member in attendance politely tells the person that the league has a rule against it. They may take all the pictures they want during play, just not with their flash. They can use their flash during timeouts and before or after the game. To my knowledge, we've never had a parent complain after being told.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Had my state tournament game last night, off night for me, but that's another story.

Lined up for free throws and coach of shooting team complains to me that photographer under basket is distracting he girls with his flash. I go over and ask him to stop. He gets a little huffy and starts saying IHSA allows him to do so as he leaves. At halftime, we go to a classroom rather than locker room as it's a good walk from gym. Photographer knocks on door as we tell him politely we are having our halftime meeting and please leave. Glass door closes and he again knocks on door and one of my partners says my turn. Photographer with a pissed off look now wants our names. We are now looking for the AD as he leaves.

I can't seem to find a ruling prohibiting this. We were giving him leeway being under the basket and while not a tight area, it was cozy. Rule 2.3 gives broad authority for anything not covered in book. Anybody have anything else?

I DARE a photographer to give me sh*t on the court! I'd give him the boot! lol
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Our local kids rec league has a rule prohibiting flash pictures during play. It was put in about 10 years ago when a parent standing on the corner of the endline and the sideline pressed the flash on his camera just as a kid was about to receive a hard pass. The flash temporarily "blinded" him and the ball smacked him in the face, breaking his nose!

If we see a flash go off during play, the Board member in attendance politely tells the person that the league has a rule against it. They may take all the pictures they want during play, just not with their flash. They can use their flash during timeouts and before or after the game. To my knowledge, we've never had a parent complain after being told.
Under IHSA guidelines and policies, cameras with flashes by spectators are clearly verboten. More leeway with the media.

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 04:23pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I DARE a photographer to give me sh*t on the court! I'd give him the boot! lol
Since I was specifically asked by the coach to have him stop, I felt it necessary, it was interfering with the game.

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 04:22pm.