The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

The Counters . . .

So we've got this team in our zone. High School boys playing FIBA rules. Coach is solid, players are nice kids if not great ball players. One of the teams strengths in they are one of the most vocal (team communication)teams in the area if not the most skilled.

Normally you go do a game. Coach is loud cheerleading demanding of his kids, kids are intense, loud, passionate. Never out of control but very vocal. Defensively the kid on the ball is always shouting out what the o is doing (dribble.dribble.dribble, pass, shot etc) kids off the ball talking to the on the ball defender etc. Lots of loud chaotic pressure on defense.

I preface all this because they added a new tactic to their repetiore last night and I want to get everyone elses feelings on it before I discuss my response.

The counting . . .

After their first made basket team starts defending full court man. Player on the ball and the bench start "1 . .. Deny Hard . .. 2 DENY HARD . . . 3 DENY HARD!!!! . . ." etc. As the ball gets entered the bench start "1 . . D-up . 2 D-up .. . 3 D- up . .4 D-up" I didn't think anything (duh) thinking its their hip version of my old school D-Fence until I realised when they reached 5 on the out of bounds they kept repeating "5 DENY HARDD!!!!" and in the front court at 8 its was repeating "8 D-UP!" In the half court they went back to their regular noisy defense.

Early in the 1st quarter when the crowd noise began to match the player noise my partner called me in to have a convo . . .

How would you handle this?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
So we've got this team in our zone. High School boys playing FIBA rules. Coach is solid, players are nice kids if not great ball players. One of the teams strengths in they are one of the most vocal (team communication)teams in the area if not the most skilled.

Normally you go do a game. Coach is loud cheerleading demanding of his kids, kids are intense, loud, passionate. Never out of control but very vocal. Defensively the kid on the ball is always shouting out what the o is doing (dribble.dribble.dribble, pass, shot etc) kids off the ball talking to the on the ball defender etc. Lots of loud chaotic pressure on defense.

I preface all this because they added a new tactic to their repetiore last night and I want to get everyone elses feelings on it before I discuss my response.

The counting . . .

After their first made basket team starts defending full court man. Player on the ball and the bench start "1 . .. Deny Hard . .. 2 DENY HARD . . . 3 DENY HARD!!!! . . ." etc. As the ball gets entered the bench start "1 . . D-up . 2 D-up .. . 3 D- up . .4 D-up" I didn't think anything (duh) thinking its their hip version of my old school D-Fence until I realised when they reached 5 on the out of bounds they kept repeating "5 DENY HARDD!!!!" and in the front court at 8 its was repeating "8 D-UP!" In the half court they went back to their regular noisy defense.

Early in the 1st quarter when the crowd noise began to match the player noise my partner called me in to have a convo . . .

How would you handle this?
So you're saying they're trying to influence your count? So what is the 8 count?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In FIBA, 8 count is our 10 second back court count.

Counting is unsporting, plain and simple. Tell them to stop. If they do it again, easy T. If the warning doesn't work, the T will.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry FIBA rules . .. 24 -8. 24 second shot clocks, 8 seconds to get it over half.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In FIBA, 8 count is our 10 second back court count.

Counting is unsporting, plain and simple. Tell them to stop. If they do it again, easy T. If the warning doesn't work, the T will.
Agreed. No good can come from letting them continue.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Isn't it considered unsporting in FIBA for a defender to yell "shot" at a shooting opponent? How is this different?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Sorry FIBA rules . .. 24 -8. 24 second shot clocks, 8 seconds to get it over half.
24 second shot clock? For high school ball? Why?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
24 second shot clock? For high school ball? Why?
Because it's FIBA. I think they're are based off of soccre roules.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because it's FIBA. I think they're are based off of soccre roules.
I may be missing a joke here, but is that supposed to be soccer rules? What's soccer got to do with this?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I may be missing a joke here, but is that supposed to be soccer rules? What's soccer got to do with this?
Yes, you're missing a joke about soccer, the preferred sport of most places who use FIBA rules for basketball.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, you're missing a joke about soccer, the preferred sport of most places who use FIBA rules for basketball.
ah ok. Did not know that.

I am a soccer official but I go by USSF/FIFA (rec and travel games) and NFHS (high school games). Will soon be doing local college soccer games.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
ah ok. Did not know that.

I am a soccer official but I go by USSF/FIFA (rec and travel games) and NFHS (high school games). Will soon be doing local college soccer games.
Then you're probably not going to get my soccre humour; which is predicated on a small amount of disdain.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree with all the points about it being unsporting, if they're saying all of that and get to 5 a 2nd and 3rd time, and you're not past five (understanding that you may have been ignoring your own count in response to their actions), your count is way too slow.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is why I like officiating in high altitudes. The players have more important things to do with their oxygen.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

So once the crowd got into the counting my partner took me aside . . .

He was very upset about and said we should demand the team stop or "T" them up each time it happened. My intial response in our private convo was that they could count to 1 million if they liked unless they started arguing the count I didn't care. We then discussed the inciting the crowd aspect and decided that we would in fact put a stop to it just because it couldn't go anywhere good for anyone.

Since I was in the more reasonable mood about it I approached the coach who must have known what was coming next.

Me - "Your players and the bench needs to stop trying to affect the officials count. I appreciate your enthusiasm but its not going to effect us and is just going to lead to issues with the crowd and both teams. If I hear it again the player responsible will be given a T and it will go to you if it comes from the bench."

Coach - "So we can't communicate on defense. We have stunts set after certain counts by our teammates and now your saying we can't call rotations from the floor or bench."

Me - " I hear what your saying but you and I both know what its really about and what its trying to accomplish. Its either trying to influence the official or rush/intimdate the opposition. So lets cut the counting!"

Coach - "Fair enough. I assume you''ll warn the other team too, and if you hear them counting down a shot clock or game clock that they'll be "T"'d up too if counting is now unsportsmanlike."

Me -" I'll treat them the same as you coach."

I walked away. THe counting stopped. Until the crowd got wind of it at half time. Then as the 2nd half started a group of supportive parents counted from 1 - 500 aloud while the game was going on.