The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

staying organized

Wondering how others record their schedule. I'm always looking for ways to simplify. Currently, I have a three year Honig calendar and also keep track of games worked via excel. A fellow ref has his games recorded linear and then adds particulars after date(partners, fee paid, mileage etc) Not a blackberry/Iphone guy although I'd like to be and found occasion that maybe I should be going that way.

I've gone to printing out every e-mail, Arbiter schedule and changes and anything in a hard copy to cover myself. I have a pretty full schedule of varsity games along with kids/travel/AAU games along with other sports I do.

Not the most organized guy out there so any thoughts?

Mr. Pencil and Legal Pad
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Google calendar, Palm Pre. Keep emails. Google calendar syncs to my Outlook calendar.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I've got an excel file that's my go-to. As soon as I pick up a game it goes in that spreadsheet. I've got a yearly planner that I sometimes slack on, and I've got Outlook so I update that calendar.

For my excel file, I go with date, time, host school (or location), level, when I accepted the game, how many games I'm working for that assignment, what my game fee should be, when I got paid, and total mileage.

I'm thinking I could add to it. I also have a Blackberry, but I haven't used that to record my games, though I think that would be more reliable for me than my Outlook calendar.

I also keep all emails that involve assignments. The biggest thing, for me, is my excel file.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I have synced calendars on my Mac, my iPhone, and on the web. I keep a Word document for every season in every sport (it's how I track whether I've received a check from a school that "pays later"). I keep every contract I get and those that assign over the web, I print up every assignment like it is a contract.

Still, it's hard to stay organized -- I'm managing 3 sports and am the point person for all the assigning for all three.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I keep track of the financial aspect of my games on my abacus. As to the scheduling, I use my quill pen to record games onto parchment, then sync with my telegraph key.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I keep track of the financial aspect of my games on my abacus. As to the scheduling, I use my quill pen to record games onto parchment, then sync with my telegraph key.
Someone wants slapped.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have what I call a "master" calendar that I put all assignments in. I usually will not take a game or finalize that I am open or closed until I verify this book. I also have a Blackberry which in sync with my computer and calendar on the phone. Usually I check all constantly before the season or as I am accepting games so not to cross assignments or double book.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

After being assigned a game, I put that game on my work calendar. I then forward the meeting to my Gmail account so that I can put it on my Google calendar and sync it with my BlackBerry. Before accepting an assignment, I will consult my Gmail and work calendar to ensure I have no conflicts.

I used to track games on an Excel spreadsheet but this year, I decided to create an Access database to track all of my games, payments, expenses, mileage, tolls, etc. With tax time coming up, I will create some reports to generate my total income, expenses, etc and break them down by category.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:46pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You have an abacus? And parchment? All I have is a sundial and stone tablets.

(*ducks*)

But seriously, I enter all of my games into my Lotus Notes calendar at work, with the start time, level (boys/girls, 9th, 10th, varsity, etc), number of games, partner's name(s), and directions to the game location.

I also keep track of games in a spreadsheet with Date, Start Time, "Event" (I track association meetings and whatnot on this spreadsheet in addition to games), Level, Visiting Team, Home Team, Mileage, Pay Amount, Pay Date (most schools here pay 1-3 weeks after the game).

I also have a separate section on this spreadsheet for other expenses (association dues, uniforms, etc), and have the spreadsheet keep a running tally of total expenses (including mileage deductions) and total income.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Outlook calendar, Google spreadsheet for record keeping. iPhone accesses both.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

We use Arbiter in this Pennsylvania District. You can export the games to use in Outlook, which I do use that. I have a semi-smart-phone (not an iPhone or blackberry) which has a calendar on it and I can digitally sync my phone's calendar with the Outlook calendar through bluetooth.

I used to use a little calendar date book that I would take with me anywhere in case someone would call me to do a game, and such. However, it was getting to the point that I would forget to sync the book with the computer, or vice versa and I would end up over booking a day, or even having two games at the same time. I was able to get a bluetooth adapter to connect to my computer and now that gets rid of the datebook. I sync my phone and computer a few times a week during the basketball and soccer season usually.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 09:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check It Every Time I Get A Cold Adult Beverage ...

Arbiter, with two assigners, on my computer. Paper calendar, with assignments written in, on the refrigerator.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)