The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Obvious impairment is usually a good sign of a lack of respect for the job. However, according to one of our previous posters:

So, someone who has a couple of beers for lunch that day most likely has no alcohol in their system at the time of the evening presentation, so there is no alcohol-related impairment.

What basis are you using for your judgement of a lack of professionalism of this employee, and therefore the basis of his firing?
Precisely. It's individual responsibilty. He's force feeding his own moral code on others and as a 'partner' I would find this troublesome.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Swing and a miss...

My post game doesn't get any better than a couple of Dunkels along with a dozen wings.

My tangible reason is professionalism, respect for the game, respect for others.

If a someone who works for me has an important evening presentation and he decides to make the choice of having a couple of beers for to wash down lunch that day, he's just shown me that he has no respect for me, his job, his colleagues and others involved.

He's also history.

Still waiting a list of states that endorse the practice.
If someone (or you) has a couple drinks before bed and has an early presentation, do you hold the same standard? If not, you're be inconsistent. Alcohol disappates from the body the same whether awake or asleep. Having 1-2 at lunch before a 7:30 PM event is no different than having 1-2 around midnight, sleeping, then having and a 7:30 AM event. The only thing that is different is that the date changed.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Precisely. It's individual responsibilty. He's force feeding his own moral code on others and as a 'partner' I would find this troublesome.
1 drink at lunch, 5-8 hours before a presentation, does not equate to a lack of respect. In this economy, you might be able to get away with threatening to fire an employee for it, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Would you fire that same employee if he had a drink at 1:00 am the night before a 7:00 am presentation?

Now, if you've got an employee with a real problem and there's more to it than a drink at lunch, it's a different story.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1 drink at lunch, 5-8 hours before a presentation, does not equate to a lack of respect. In this economy, you might be able to get away with threatening to fire an employee for it, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Would you fire that same employee if he had a drink at 1:00 am the night before a 7:00 am presentation?

Now, if you've got an employee with a real problem and there's more to it than a drink at lunch, it's a different story.
I think we've all exhausted trying to make sense this to this guy.

Thankfully, none of us will have to work with him.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Or for him.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If someone (or you) has a couple drinks before bed and has an early presentation, do you hold the same standard? If not, you're be inconsistent. Alcohol disappates from the body the same whether awake or asleep. Having 1-2 at lunch before a 7:30 PM event is no different than having 1-2 around midnight, sleeping, then having and a 7:30 AM event. The only thing that is different is that the date changed.

If the client or potential client sees the presenter in a bar at midnight, then sees him at 7:30am the next morning leading the presentation, I very seriously doubt the first thing going through his mind is alcohol dissipation rates.

Same thing goes for a coach, athletic director, principal, father of a player, school administrator, etc.....

If any (or all) sees said official walk into the arena/gym at 6:00pm for a 7:30pm game, and they realize it is the same official who was having a beer or two at 12:00 noon, it's all over the place in no time.

Not a lot of good can come of the situation, regardless of the outcome.

Anyone putting themselves in this situation won't be working for me and shouldn't be (my opinion) officiating.

I wonder why nobody seems eager to contact their state athletic association office for their opinion on the matter.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Because it's not worth wasting their time on stuff like this. You're the one who finds it to be such an integrity issue 7 hours before the game; have you contacted your state?

And most people I know wouldn't think twice about having seen a guy drinking a beer at lunch and then officiating that night.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the client or potential client sees the presenter in a bar at midnight, then sees him at 7:30am the next morning leading the presentation, I very seriously doubt the first thing going through his mind is alcohol dissipation rates.

Same thing goes for a coach, athletic director, principal, father of a player, school administrator, etc.....

If any (or all) sees said official walk into the arena/gym at 6:00pm for a 7:30pm game, and they realize it is the same official who was having a beer or two at 12:00 noon, it's all over the place in no time.

Not a lot of good can come of the situation, regardless of the outcome.

Anyone putting themselves in this situation won't be working for me and shouldn't be (my opinion) officiating.

I wonder why nobody seems eager to contact their state athletic association office for their opinion on the matter.
What do you do if the game official, AD, assignor says he's fit to work the game? Do you not work it, since you're not going to work with someone who has drank before the game?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
What do you do if the game official, AD, assignor says he's fit to work the game? Do you not work it, since you're not going to work with someone who has drank 7 hours before the game?
Fixed it for you.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

He could walk in holding a beer for all I care. What is asdf going to do if everyone in the place says that official is going to work the game?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think I need a drink now.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure which bar to call.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Not sure which bar to call.

Nice!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Honestly I do not care what they thing on something that has never happened. Why would I call to get their opinion on something I have never seen and will likely not see? Some things will just have to happen for me to start asking for an opinion and action I am sure would happen long before this issue got to the state office.

Peace