The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 10:44pm
This IS My Social Life

Running Clock Question

Our state allows for a running clock with a 40 or more point differential. Our state Officials' Guidebook specifies only this:
II. Point Differential Rule
A. At all levels of play and in MHSAA tournaments, after the first half
when one team has a lead of 40 points or more, a running clock shall
be established. The clock shall revert to regular time schemes should
the score be reduced to a 30-point lead or less. During any running
clock mode, the clock shall be stopped as normal for all timeouts and
between quarters; and for free throws during the last two (2) minutes of
the game.
Question: Timeout is granted during running clock scenerio. Timeout was granted after a foul which would have a free thrower shooting two shots. When the timeout is over, when would the running clock be restarted?
Possible Answers:
1) When the ball becomes alive, that is, when it is put at the disposal of the free thrower, or
2) When the ball is rebounded after a missed second shot or after inbounded after a successful second shot.
Our state really doesn't specify beyond what I quoted above from our Officials' Guidebook.
I say 1.
A seasoned "table official" and an area AD says 2.
What say you?
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Minnesota it would start as normal...just as though it was not running time.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

In PA, we are told that with a 40-point differential or greater, the clock should continue to run through our foul report until it is complete, at which point the calling official should signal to stop the clock for free throw administration.

The clock restarts just as it would following any other free throws--so your option 2.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
During any running clock mode, the clock shall be stopped as normal for all timeouts and between quarters; and for free throws during the last two (2) minutes of the game.
If the free throws occur during the last two minutes of the game, you wouldn't start the clock until the free throws end just as you normally would. However, if the free throws occur during a time in which the clock runs during free throws, you would start the clock at the end of the timeout, which means when the official throws the ball to the shooter to start the free throws.

I really don't see what's so confusing. It's pretty clear.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 04:18pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Question: Timeout is granted during running clock scenerio. Timeout was granted after a foul which would have a free thrower shooting two shots. When the timeout is over, when would the running clock be restarted?
Possible Answers:
1) When the ball becomes alive, that is, when it is put at the disposal of the free thrower, or
2) When the ball is rebounded after a missed second shot or after inbounded after a successful second shot.

(...) What say you?
In what few situations I've been part of a game using the MHSAA running clock rule, the table crew has always used option #2 and never been told to do otherwise.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 04:36pm
This IS My Social Life

Survey Results

Interestingly enough, of the five athletic directors and 12 veteran officials and two regular clock operators I surveyed yesterday and today, it's split about one-third, two-thirds. After a time out, 6 would restart the running clock when the ball is put at the disposal of the free thrower, 11 would restart it after the free throws as it would be after a standard free throw attempt with no running clock.
Though a sincere question, it's rather academic anyway. With a 40+ point differential, just about everybody wants to get the clock running and get the heck out of there.
Thanx for the responses.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 05:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

OK guys - please explain to me why, if (under these special rules) you're playing during a time when the clock stops for timeouts but runs during free throws, would you not start the clock when the timeout ends and the free throw starts? Why is this any different than starting the clock after a timeout when there's just an inbound? If you don't stop the clock during a free throw under those special rules - then the clock runs during a free throw - no exceptions.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 05:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
OK guys - please explain to me why, if (under these special rules) you're playing during a time when the clock stops for timeouts but runs during free throws, would you not re-start the clock when the timeout ends and the free throw starts? I agree, though apparently in a minority. Why is this any different than starting the clock after a timeout when there's just an inbound? About 25 seconds between the time that the ball is put at the shooters disposal and the second free throw is either rebounded or an inbound occurs. If you don't stop the clock during a free throw under those special rules - then the clock runs during a free throw - no exceptions. You and I are in full agreement.
Since the state doesn't specify, it's open to interpretation, I guess. I do, however, know what my instructions to the table will be in this instance. I just wish I could get confirmation of the proper interpretation from more expert "table officials".

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 05:28pm.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since the state doesn't specify, it's open to interpretation, I guess. I do, however, know what my instructions to the table will be in this instance. I just wish I could get confirmation of the proper interpretation from more expert "table officials".
Unfortunately, I've never doing a running clock game. However, in my opinion, I would start the clock when the free throw was being administered after the timeout was done.

My understanding of the running clock, is that it's only supposed to stop during a requested timeout, an official's timeout for CE, or between quarters.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Option #2 is correct!

Had this exact debate with an official in our area at a GV december tourney my school hosts-

A is up by 39 points and is fouled while driving to the basket! A5 shoots the first free throw and makes it putting us into the "window".B calls timeout.Official in question instructs us to run the clock coming out of timeout. We run it knowing that doing so is incorrect by rule and an official coming in for the next slate of games tells us she was wrong.

I believe that the clock should start either on a make or rebound from the missed attempt.

Question for those who work in Mississippi-

Why would you stop clock for free throws in the final two minutes? Here is our rule-

1607. MERCY RULE
When at the conclusion of the third quarter, or any point thereafter, if there is a point differential of 40 or more points,a running clock shall be instituted for the remainder of the game, regardless of the score. This applies to all levels of play. (ApprovedMay 2004 Federated Council)

The only time that a running clock can be stopped is for an timeout on the floor!

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 11:51pm.