The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:48am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My partner walked in at 4:10PM. I had already taken care of the book and talked to the captains. I decided to just relax and have fun, and I did.
I have one Rec partner who shows up right at game time or slightly thereafter every time. After meetings, I have even gone ahead with the jump by myself and then in he walks.....when the league has seven games in one gym for the day you just try to avoid getting behind on game one.

Quote:
My point is this: Showing up 30 minutes before an early game may make sense until it just doesn't. OTOH, I feel late if I show up less than an hour before a varsity game.
I usually show up at least 30 minutes early too - even for Rec Ball. Just a good habit.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
$12.50 per game? Wow, I don't think I've seen or heard of a game for that little in forever...way before 2007. Did they pay in grain or pelts before 2000?
LOL. No idea. I made more than that in small town Iowa when I worked a few middle school games in college back in 1993 (long before I took officiating seriously).

I was surprised when I saw my first check, $37.50 for a three game set. I typically don't ask what the pay is, even now.

Although I did pick up four games this Sunday for $15.00/game; essentially our AAU equivalent from what I can tell. I'm not sure what I was thinking; neither is my wife.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why one with a flag and one without? What does it matter?

Peace
We match as a crew. We either all wear a shirt with a flag or none of us do.

Back in the day, I used to carry flat front and pleated pants for the same reason.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I showed up at 3:45PM for the 4:15PM tipoff with my wheeled bag, dressed in nice clothes like I do for every game I work. There was nobody in the gym. I sat down and waited 15 minutes before anyone arrived.

I asked where I could change. The woman shrugged and said, well, there's a bathroom over there. Our officials come dressed. I was clearly an oddball.
I now come dressed for all junior high games. I learned this the hard way. I wheeled in 30 minutes before game time for a freshman girls game. After meeting my "where can I change?" with a deer in the headlights stare, then huddling up with her assistant coach for several minutes the head coach responds, "You can change in the girls PE locker room. We're done in there for now." So I'm in the girls locker room, just about to strip off, when in walks some random junior high girl with her mother. Turns out it's parent-teacher conference day. Ugh. So I find a nice safe boys restroom to change in.

After the game the coach apologizes and says we can shower and change in the coaches office in the boys locker room. We head in there, I turn on the shower, and settle into a chair for a few minutes to wait for it to warm up. Just as I'm starting to strip off, somebody comes into the locker room and announces for everybody to get out because the visiting team is coming in to change. Good thing I wasn't in the shower already where I might not have heard the announcement. That could have gotten real ugly real fast.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 12:21pm.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point is this: Showing up 30 minutes before an early game may make sense until it just doesn't. OTOH, I feel late if I show up less than an hour before a varsity game.
Yep. Early sub-varsity level games can be a challenge at times and you have to do the best you can - I think everyone understands that.

I agree on the one hour minimum prior for varsity games. Tuesday I had a scheduled 5:45 varsity game & arrived at the gym at 4:15. The JV game was about 2 min into the 2nd quarter and there was only one official - his partner never showed up. I wound up working the 2nd half of the JV game on top of my scheduled varsity game.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Back in the day, I used to carry flat front and pleated pants for the same reason.
Is that a requirement? If it is, what do you do when each of you have different style of shoes?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that a requirement? If it is, what do you do when each of you have different style of shoes?

Peace

I carry 3 different kinds of shoelaces!!!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I jumped in last Saturday morning for girls freshman games and partner had his flag sewn on back just below collar. I asked him why and he said he thought it looked 'neat' there.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Jeff, as you know I'm white and you're African-American, I like to carry my black self in my case for situations like this so we can match
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
It's not a requirement. Why do you care what *I* do?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Is NC the only state that has changed shirt color??
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Jeff, as you know I'm white and you're African-American, I like to carry my black self in my case for situations like this so we can match
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Is NC the only state that has changed shirt color??
Dallas, Texas uses the gray shirt for varsity, stripes for sub-varsity.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
LOL!!!!!

Wow, I needed that laugh today.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Dallas, Texas uses the gray shirt for varsity, stripes for sub-varsity.
Interesting. This year our chapter authorized the grey only for the semi-finals and finals of varsity tournaments.