The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't disagree. I was just saying that it's a thing we (my regular partners) do. I wouldn't think less of guys who didn't. Personally, I would have no flags at all, but I had a partner who made a big deal out of it. He's out of the picture, now, so I'll probably never buy another flag patch. It's an unnecessary expense, IMO.
Does he call backcourt end line throw in violations from the division line?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Does he call backcourt end line throw in violations from the division line?
Something like that.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 05:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't disagree. I was just saying that it's a thing we (my regular partners) do. I wouldn't think less of guys who didn't. Personally, I would have no flags at all, but I had a partner who made a big deal out of it. He's out of the picture, now, so I'll probably never buy another flag patch. It's an unnecessary expense, IMO.
There is a difference between regular partners and doing it with the expectation that you are not going to be professional if you all do not match the exact same shirt. And even with partners whom I work with, I would laugh at them if they expected I was only going to buy shirts that matched them to the string on the fabric and expect me to put on the exact same patch. In football we can do this as we mainly work with the same guys for all of the season. But we do not freak out when a guy comes and works with us for one game. In basketball I work with too many other people to only do something for those reasons and those reasons alone. All I care about is do we have the same uniform in style, not match the shirt.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 06:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Is it that same partner in the [ahem] video?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Interesting. This year our chapter authorized the grey only for the semi-finals and finals of varsity tournaments.
We did the same thing in Fort Worth, and it was said to us that it came down from the UIL. Next year we're wearing greys for varsity and possibly sub-varsity too.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Catholic Middle School "Junior Varsity" ...

Quote:
Two games with 6-minute quarters for $50. It was like stealing.
$60.00 here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Watching a boys varsity game I noticed the two jv refs came out and sat for a spell . couldn't help but notice one of them had a humongous wheeled bag , and thought it was big enough to carry .... what ? Also noticed one ref now wore eyeglasses that he didn't wear during the game he worked !
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Want To Deal With Me When I'm Off My Meds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
Couldn't help but notice one of them had a humongous wheeled bag , and thought it was big enough to carry .... what ?
It's for all my medications.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 10:24pm
This IS My Social Life

Glassesless???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
Also noticed one ref now wore eyeglasses that he didn't wear during the game he worked !
I wear contacts only when I do games. They go in before pregame and come out during postgame. Glasses the rest of the time.
Maybe I'm giving an impression I didn't know I was giving???!!!
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:43am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
We did the same thing in Fort Worth, and it was said to us that it came down from the UIL. Next year we're wearing greys for varsity and possibly sub-varsity too.
That would make sense if it came down from UIL. The only thing we've heard is that this is subject to change. Guess I will hold off buying more shirts for now.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It sounds corny. Sorry. The barrier to entry just isn't that great to warrant a patch. I had a drawer full of them (the IHSA kept sending them when I was a reciprocal official and I kept throwing them in a drawer, but I gave them to someone).

In your case it would sound cheesy

Is Wisconsin's association rather loosely based? I'm not familar with it. As I mentioned, IHSA is a big deal here.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Flag Code ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Wearing a flag on an official’s uniform is very inappropriate. We are not governmental employees and we are not in the military.
Rutledge: Are you referring to The United States Code Title 36 Chapter 10 Article 176 J:

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

I did not have the honor and privilege of serving my country, but my late father served in WWII, fought his way across Africa and Italy, and received a medal for his participation in the Battle of Rome Arno. In his honor, and in his memory, I proudly wear a flag patch on my laboratory coat at work. If I'm doing something wrong, then they can come and arrest me.

Our local board started wearing flag patches during the first Persian Gulf War. Recently there has been some discussion regarding all our members wearing a gold trimmed flag patch, often described as being a, "military flag", that should only be worn by military personnel.

Discussions like this regarding the appropriateness of wearing, or not wearing, a flag patch are not just petty "code" debates, but, rather, are reminders to all of us about the importance of a symbol of our freedom, that some take for granted as they move through our everyday lives. Citizens of North Korea, Iran, and other oppressive countries, could be arrested for just discussing the appropriateness of wearing, or not wearing, a flag patch.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 10:44am.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 03:52pm
Huck Finn

I don't necessarily like wearing a flag and I would think I have earned the right to wear one or not. Trust me when I tell you, what someone wears does not mean they are willing to support that symbol until the end. I came across countless people in the military that have more business being in jail than serving the country. And some of the people I talk about are high-ranking officials.

If someone doesn't want to wear the flag, they shouldn't wear it.

I will need those retirement checks to keep coming though.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 04:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I wear the flag with gold trim on my left shoulder because my Association told me it was part of my uniform. End of story for me. If they tell me next year to take it off, then that's what I would do.

But, as have others, I served my country proudly for a great many years and am honored to wear it.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 04:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
But, as have others, I served my country proudly for a great many years and am honored to wear it.
I did too, but IMO a flag is a symbol. My contributions, a fraction of a fraction of the big picture, directy contributed to the safety of this country. That is what I wear (figuratively of course).

Fly, Fight and Win!!!