The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Uniform Problems

Here in North Carolina we have gone to the Grey/Black pinstripe shirt for the NCHSAA. I officiated a Middle School game tonight and out of routine I put on my Grey/Black. In the back of my mind though I wondered if they did wear the standard Black/White, but preceded with the Greys. I get there only to see my partner sitting down in his White/Black. The time was 4:05 and the game was at 4:15. I told him my situation and elected to go home and change. I spun the tires out of the parking lot and went 150 down the road.

Needless to say, I made it back in time for game time. But this is one of the many frustrations of Middle School and High School being different here and or the Association electing to change to the Grey/Black.

They do look sharp though, but would like to see a standard for all schools in NC
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Here in North Carolina we have gone to the Grey/Black pinstripe shirt for the NCHSAA. I officiated a Middle School game tonight and out of routine I put on my Grey/Black. In the back of my mind though I wondered if they did wear the standard Black/White, but preceded with the Greys. I get there only to see my partner sitting down in his White/Black. The time was 4:05 and the game was at 4:15. I told him my situation and elected to go home and change. I spun the tires out of the parking lot and went 150 down the road.

Needless to say, I made it back in time for game time. But this is one of the many frustrations of Middle School and High School being different here and or the Association electing to change to the Grey/Black.

They do look sharp though, but would like to see a standard for all schools in NC
It is a good idea to always carry a zebra & gray in your bag for just such an occasion.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
It is a good idea to always carry a zebra & gray in your bag for just such an occasion.
I agree. However it didn't cover me in this situation 2 years ago. Women's JUCO game, I have no idea who my partners will be (assigner is very unorganized, got our 3rd hours before the game apparently) so I have one of each in my bag. (league allows either) I get there, and 1 partner has the grey/black and the other partner has white/black. No way we could match. Turns out one of the guys on the crew hadn't done JUCO in like 15 years, so he only had the black and white. We ended up with 2 greys and a black and white.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You only take one shirt to a game?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Confirm Games With Athletic Director And Partner ...

Quote:
But this is one of the many frustrations of Middle School and High School being different here and or the Association electing to change to the Grey/Black.
When you confirm games with your partners, by email, or phone, be sure to ask about which uniform will be worn.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 08:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You only take one shirt to a game?

Peace
I pack one with a flag and one without a flag.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to agree with the others that:

1) You should have taken both shirts -- especially since you were wondering which was correct before you left home

2) You should have arrived earlier than 10 minutes before tip-off, even for a MS game
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I have to agree with the others that:

1) You should have taken both shirts -- especially since you were wondering which was correct before you left home

I agree now. This is my first year and I have only been officiating JV which is the standard Grey/Black. I was called by the Middle School assigner to officiate a Middle School game last night. He told me to arrive at 4:00 and that he didn't have the 2nd official yet. Just assumed we would be using the Grey/Black, but it was a learning experience. The shirt didn't have the breathing room like the other either.

2) You should have arrived earlier than 10 minutes before tip-off, even for a MS game
After having to sign paperwork I stepped onto the court at 4:05.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After having to sign paperwork I stepped onto the court at 4:05.
if you arrive 30 minutes before the game, then you can handle the "paperwork" and have plenty of time to avoid these problems (if you haven't done so already by contacting your partner). people who do not arrive on time to games/meetings/appointments ultimately made a decision earlier in the day that what they were doing was more important than leaving to get to the game on time....
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Not 100% true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
people who do not arrive on time to games/meetings/appointments ultimately made a decision earlier in the day that what they were doing was more important than leaving to get to the game on time....
Sometimes "issues" arise and decisions are made for you that are out of your control - no matter how early you leave (traffic, accident, weather, construction, breakdownetc.).

Believe me, I live in the DC area and leave 90 minutes early for a game that's only 15 miles away.....That being said, I've never been close to being late and always have my P's and Assignors numbers close at hand.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
if you arrive 30 minutes before the game, then you can handle the "paperwork" and have plenty of time to avoid these problems (if you haven't done so already by contacting your partner). people who do not arrive on time to games/meetings/appointments ultimately made a decision earlier in the day that what they were doing was more important than leaving to get to the game on time....
I work nothing but varsity HS and juco games, well, except when I don't.

A local guy I've worked youth football with got assigned a state final this year and asked me to cover a middle school game for him if his game conflicted. It did. I did.

I showed up at 3:45PM for the 4:15PM tipoff with my wheeled bag, dressed in nice clothes like I do for every game I work. There was nobody in the gym. I sat down and waited 15 minutes before anyone arrived.

I asked where I could change. The woman shrugged and said, well, there's a bathroom over there. Our officials come dressed. I was clearly an oddball.

My partner walked in at 4:10PM. I had already taken care of the book and talked to the captains. I decided to just relax and have fun, and I did. The guy wasn't the worst partner I've ever had, nor was he the best. The coaches were well behaved, mainly because I think I scared them.

My point is this: Showing up 30 minutes before an early game may make sense until it just doesn't. OTOH, I feel late if I show up less than an hour before a varsity game.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The last season I worked MS games I had the same experiences Rich talks about. It was my first season in that city, and I was working them to get my face out. I stopped, not because I was too good to work those games, but because I couldn't justify getting off work 2 hours early for $12.50/game in 2007.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The last season I worked MS games I had the same experiences Rich talks about. It was my first season in that city, and I was working them to get my face out. I stopped, not because I was too good to work those games, but because I couldn't justify getting off work 2 hours early for $12.50/game in 2007.
Two games with 6-minute quarters for $50. It was like stealing. It made me think about doing more of these at some point.

Of course, I had to change in the bathroom afterwards and wasn't offered a shower, but I was only 5 minutes from the house and my hot tub.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
$12.50 per game? Wow, I don't think I've seen or heard of a game for that little in forever...way before 2007. Did they pay in grain or pelts before 2000?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I pack one with a flag and one without a flag.
Why one with a flag and one without? What does it matter?

Peace