The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Jay Bilas, a Lawyer?, He can not even read.

During half time of Duke NC game, they showed replay of the controversial TO granted to Syracuse in their game against UConn tonight.

So Bilas, the so called expert, is reciting the rule as it also scrolls by on TV. Where rule says for a timeout to be granted, a player must be in control, Bilas substitutes team control, which of course may not necessarily be true.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
During half time of Duke NC game, they showed replay of the controversial TO granted to Syracuse in their game against UConn tonight.

So Bilas, the so called expert, is reciting the rule as it also scrolls by on TV. Where rule says for a timeout to be granted, a player must be in control, Bilas substitutes team control, which of course may not necessarily be true.

Lee:

If there is team control but not player control at player or coach's request for a timeout can not be granted. But a player or coach's request for a timeout can be granted if the ball is dead.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

But did he agree with the call? I saw that call (and the Ted V. no call at the half of NCS and VT). Would like to know if 'Cuse was granted a time out b/c of a verbal request.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

He didn't agree with the call because, as he says, the timeout was granted after the Syracuse player released his shot.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
He didn't agree with the call because, as he says, the timeout was granted after the Syracuse player released his shot.
To me it appeared the TO was granted while there was player control , the whistle was blown when there was not player control. In other words, the referee, I think it was Cahill, heard the request, but by the time he could blow the whistle, there was a loss of player control.

A good call by Cahill since last time he worked these teams, it went 6 OT's. Got it done in regulation this time.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me it appeared the TO was granted while there was player control , the whistle was blown when there was not player control. In other words, the referee, I think it was Cahill, heard the request, but by the time he could blow the whistle, there was a loss of player control.

A good call by Cahill since last time he worked these teams, it went 6 OT's. Got it done in regulation this time.
I totally agree. I thought it was a good call as well.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I totally agree. I thought it was a good call as well.
Someone from Nevada will be along to disagree with you....
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's like you're reading my mind.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:33am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a basketball fundamental. The whistle rarely causes the ball to become dead, it is already dead. And no I did not see the play, but if what I am reading is correct, then the official got it right.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is a basketball fundamental. The whistle rarely causes the ball to become dead, it is already dead. And no I did not see the play, but if what I am reading is correct, then the official got it right.

Peace
Right...It doesn't matter when the whistle was blown. I've always been told it doesn't matter when the whistle blows, as long as the TO was requested at the right time.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs

This rule still cries out for an editorial change. We need a definition of when the timeout is granted.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:16am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

In the replay, it appears to me that the ball is already in the UConn player's hands when Cahill turns his head in Boeheim's direction. Impossible to say when he actually heard/recognized the request in relation to his visible reaction.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This rule still cries out for an editorial change. We need a definition of when the timeout is granted.
Where would the fun be in that?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:56am
In Time Out

I was watching the game live and I thought it was way too late. However, and this has happened to me, perhaps the coach verbally called a TO and the ref simply did not recognize it right away(brain freeze) and blew the whistle but the ball was with UCONN.
The Cuse coach better say he verbally requested a TO to help out the ref. Otherwise I would have been much more impressed with the ref admitting an inadvertent whistle.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't know why you would say that. But, of course, it is true. I thought that Cahill kicked this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The rules fundamental does say that, but you must know when that fundamental properly applies.

Quote:
Right...It doesn't matter when the whistle was blown. I've always been told it doesn't matter when the whistle blows, as long as the TO was requested at the right time.
Does a time-out request make the ball dead? Do the rules say that as they do for a violation or a foul?
I don't believe so. In the case of a time-out it absolutely does matter when the whistle is blown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I was watching the game live and I thought it was way too late. However, and this has happened to me, perhaps the coach verbally called a TO and the ref simply did not recognize it right away(brain freeze) and blew the whistle but the ball was with UCONN.
That's what I see on the video replay on ESPN360.