The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I respectfully disagree with your approach...not because I don't believe your point has validity, but out of a combination of lack of clarity in role definitions and practicality.

1. It certainly doesn't define coaches in 4-34-2, it only states that "coaches" may exist. (We all obviously agree, though the roles are not always clearly defined on a team...a person may play multiple roles.)

2. I honestly don't care who the assistants are. As long as the HC isn't the one going to the table, I've got no problem. And if there are any 'issues' with the communication with the table, then it doesn't matter whether it's an AC or a manager or a statistician, it's going to be handled the same way.

I officiate many games where there are two adults on the bench. One is the HC, and the other is a combination AC/statistician/bookkeeper/defacto manager. If that guy/gal wants to go clarify how many timeouts he has, he can in my game.
How do you know what my approach is when I haven't stated my approach yet? And whatintheheck could possibly be more clear than having the head coach tell you who his assistant coaches are? And when did I say anything at all above about practicality?

I very specifically stated "by rule". And "by rule", assistant coaches aren't allowed at the table. Note that I answered specific questions with specific answers. What I didn't do was state how I would personally handle any bench problems. But if you want to know.....

If there's a problem with a coach going to the table, I'll handle it. If there isn't a problem with a coach going to the table, I ain't about to worry about it.

A little clearer now?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If there's a problem with a coach going to the table, I'll handle it. If there isn't a problem with a coach going to the table, I ain't about to worry about it.

A little clearer now?
Super clear. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You mean like this?

That looks like my official scorer from the other night..that's the look I got every time I went to report a foul!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Why would it not be better to ask the head coach in the pregame meeting who the stat/manager is that may go to the table should info be needed? We know its not him, and if he designates one of his assistants/statisticians then anyone else is not allowed. No guesswork at that point.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Why would it not be better to ask the head coach in the pregame meeting who the stat/manager is that may go to the table should info be needed? We know its not him, and if he designates one of his assistants/statisticians then anyone else is not allowed. No guesswork at that point.
Why micromanage the game? If someone else goes to the table (other than the head coach), why care unless it becomes a problem? Why go looking for something that isn't a problem?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Why micromanage the game? If someone else goes to the table (other than the head coach), why care unless it becomes a problem? Why go looking for something that isn't a problem?
This was my first thought as well. How often do you have someone at the table causing any problems? It's a non-issue until it becomes an issue.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

As an AC myself, I will say that one of my roles during the game is to keep track of personal fouls and timeouts, and I am in constant communication with our scorekeeper to make sure that my count is correct.

I will always check in with the scorekeeper at half-time and also during most time-outs as these are the times that he is least busy. I have never had an official question this and as an official I don't have a problem with an AC checking in like that.

The problem arises when a coach is at the table questioning the timekeeper or the official scorer of his/her accuracy. To me that is the behavior that we as officials should be wary of. Not allowing an AC to double check the number of time-outs he has is being an OOO in my opinion.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
When my powers that be tell me I need to worry about this, I will. Until then, my HC meeting is very short and to the point.
1. Equipment
2. Let us know on timeouts
3. 2nd horn.
4. The boxes are marked.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Super clear. Thanks.
Yup, we basically agreed on what we'd both actually do in real life. The rule is there for if/when problems do occur.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yup, we basically agreed on what we'd both actually do in real life. The rule is there for if/when problems do occur.
Well stated...thanks for your responses.

I sent the link to the official I was having the discussions with.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
"What if a coach says that his "assistant coach" is in fact a "statistician"?
One of my good friends has called assistant coaches "glorified statisticians" for years. I always liked that term.......
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

it's not the data, it's what you do with it

Foul called, possession B. Coach A pops up checks with table, about to let it go. Then she pipes up, ostensibly to teah, "My god, 6 fouls on us, 2 on them". Whack.