The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

"C" Calls 10 Second Violation

BV game. A1 is bringing ball up in backcourt. Trail has visible count. Right before A1 crosses mid-court, “C” comes in with a 10 second violation. He stated that the shot clock was down to 24 (35 second shot clock) and called the violation. Any thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would kill the center official! That is the trails call...if the shot clock is at 22than come in and give the trail information...crossing half court with 24...not obvious.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

This drives me nuts!!!!

The shot clock is not a true representation of the 10 second violation. It is possible the clock could start legally and not start the 10 second count. I cannot stand that people use this as a way to call this violation.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The shot clock is not a true representation of the 10 second violation. It is possible the clock could start legally and not start the 10 second count. I cannot stand that people use this as a way to call this violation.

Peace
Never have been in an area that uses it. Is the reset to 35 when the ball is at the disposal of the offensive team after a made basket? Is it supposed to start once the inbounding team has completed a legal throw-in? I have caught myself counting a couple times as C, after having done 2 man games, but I have never come close to 10.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I would kill the center official! That is the trails call...if the shot clock is at 22than come in and give the trail information...crossing half court with 24...not obvious.
Wait, I've worked with this guy!

Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
To be fair, this is how 8 second violations are called in the NBA so they may try to apply that usage in high school. Not correct for the reasons you stated.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
To be fair, it is a true representation most of the time. If the ball was caught immediately on the throwin, the clock would be an accurate measure.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:59pm
#thereferee99

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ref View Post
BV game. A1 is bringing ball up in backcourt. Trail has visible count. Right before A1 crosses mid-court, “C” comes in with a 10 second violation. He stated that the shot clock was down to 24 (35 second shot clock) and called the violation. Any thoughts?
I have thoughts.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
To be fair, it is a true representation most of the time. If the ball was caught immediately on the throwin, the clock would be an accurate measure.
Then the clock should be used, not the official swinging his arm.

As a coach, I'm counting the arm swings. I would be very hot if a C came in and told me we used 10 seconds when the T had only swung his arm 8 times. I might have called a timeout or something. I would likely earn a technical in the process, too.

And as the T, I would probably.....oh, wait, I know how this story plays out, don't I?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I would kill the center official!
Would you "punch (the official) in the face" first?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Wait, I've worked with this guy!

Ha, you beat me to it. How about these two as partners?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Clock not started properly?

I had one that was weird last week, BV, I'm T bringing ball up with heavy pressure, I get to 10 seconds and blow my whistle, indicate and yell 10 seconds. V coach yells out, but 10 seconds hasn't ticked off the clock, I yelled back, then they didn't start the clock properly. Looked at partners and they didn't have any information, kind of gave the beats me look. (I usually look up at the clock as soon as the throwin is complete to make sure its been started, but in this case I had too much action to watch) I count every morning as my instant coffee is heating in the microwave, but during a game I wouldn't be surprised that I speed up. Any suggestions on how to get this right? I don't want to be slow with my count and not reward the defense, and of course I don't want to be fast and penalize the offense. This is the first time this has happened. Later review of game showed the clock ticked off 9 seconds when I called 10, so I was wrong. The clock was started properly.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Then the clock should be used, not the official swinging his arm.

As a coach, I'm counting the arm swings. I would be very hot if a C came in and told me we used 10 seconds when the T had only swung his arm 8 times. I might have called a timeout or something. I would likely earn a technical in the process, too.

And as the T, I would probably.....oh, wait, I know how this story plays out, don't I?
The problem with using the clock, and the reason we don't do it, is that you often can't watch the play and the clock at the same time.

I understand that the officials count (arm swing) is offiical, but anyone that argues for/against a call/non-call when a properly started clock indicates otherwise has a valid point. I constantly check my count against the clock...if for no other reason than to verify its pace.

I've observed that a distinct majority of officials count way too slow. The clock will consistently indicate that 10 has expired before, sometimes way before, the official gets to 10.

And I'm NOT suggesting that the C should jump in and call it unless the FED issues a ruling that says the clock is official....then anyone that sees the clock can call it.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 02:25pm.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 5 Sec 9 Art 4

When play is resumed by a throw-in, the game clock and shot clock
shall be started when the ball is legally touched by or touches a player on
the playing court.

Rule 9 Sec 10

An inbounds player (and his team) shall not be in continuous control of a ball that is in his back court for 10 consecutive seconds.

So in essence, a defensive player can tip a throw-in pass and start the game/shot clock. The ball can be batted around by both teams for 5 seconds and only when the offensive team gains control of the ball, the 10-second count shall start; the shot clock would be at 30 seconds at this point and there would NOT be a 10 second violation when the shot clock shows 25.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
I had one that was weird last week, BV, I'm T bringing ball up with heavy pressure, I get to 10 seconds and blow my whistle, indicate and yell 10 seconds. V coach yells out, but 10 seconds hasn't ticked off the clock, I yelled back, then they didn't start the clock properly. Looked at partners and they didn't have any information, kind of gave the beats me look. (I usually look up at the clock as soon as the throwin is complete to make sure its been started, but in this case I had too much action to watch) I count every morning as my instant coffee is heating in the microwave, but during a game I wouldn't be surprised that I speed up. Any suggestions on how to get this right? I don't want to be slow with my count and not reward the defense, and of course I don't want to be fast and penalize the offense. This is the first time this has happened. Later review of game showed the clock ticked off 9 seconds when I called 10, so I was wrong. The clock was started properly.
I check my count against the clock throughout the game. Ball inbounded in backcourt, check to see that the clock starts. Check again when I get to five and make sure I'm on track. If there is pressure, check again around eight if I can.

Checking throughout the game makes sure I don't get gradually hurried up by the pace of the game.