The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "C" Calls 10 Second Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57044-c-calls-10-second-violation.html)

Redneck Ref Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34pm

"C" Calls 10 Second Violation

BV game. A1 is bringing ball up in backcourt. Trail has visible count. Right before A1 crosses mid-court, “C” comes in with a 10 second violation. He stated that the shot clock was down to 24 (35 second shot clock) and called the violation. Any thoughts?

GoodwillRef Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36pm

I would kill the center official! That is the trails call...if the shot clock is at 22than come in and give the trail information...crossing half court with 24...not obvious.

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39pm

This drives me nuts!!!!

The shot clock is not a true representation of the 10 second violation. It is possible the clock could start legally and not start the 10 second count. I cannot stand that people use this as a way to call this violation. :mad:

Peace

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660372)
The shot clock is not a true representation of the 10 second violation. It is possible the clock could start legally and not start the 10 second count. I cannot stand that people use this as a way to call this violation. :mad:

Peace

Never have been in an area that uses it. Is the reset to 35 when the ball is at the disposal of the offensive team after a made basket? Is it supposed to start once the inbounding team has completed a legal throw-in? I have caught myself counting a couple times as C, after having done 2 man games, but I have never come close to 10.;)

Rich Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 660367)
I would kill the center official! That is the trails call...if the shot clock is at 22than come in and give the trail information...crossing half court with 24...not obvious.

Wait, I've worked with this guy!

:D

APG Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52pm

Quote:

Peace

To be fair, this is how 8 second violations are called in the NBA so they may try to apply that usage in high school. Not correct for the reasons you stated.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57pm

Quote:

Peace

To be fair, it is a true representation most of the time. If the ball was caught immediately on the throwin, the clock would be an accurate measure.

referee99 Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59pm

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Ref (Post 660365)
BV game. A1 is bringing ball up in backcourt. Trail has visible count. Right before A1 crosses mid-court, “C” comes in with a 10 second violation. He stated that the shot clock was down to 24 (35 second shot clock) and called the violation. Any thoughts?

I have thoughts.;)

Rich Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 660385)
To be fair, it is a true representation most of the time. If the ball was caught immediately on the throwin, the clock would be an accurate measure.

Then the clock should be used, not the official swinging his arm.

As a coach, I'm counting the arm swings. I would be very hot if a C came in and told me we used 10 seconds when the T had only swung his arm 8 times. I might have called a timeout or something. I would likely earn a technical in the process, too.

And as the T, I would probably.....oh, wait, I know how this story plays out, don't I?

jalons Wed Feb 10, 2010 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 660367)
I would kill the center official!

Would you "punch (the official) in the face" first?

fullor30 Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 660380)
Wait, I've worked with this guy!

:D

Ha, you beat me to it. How about these two as partners?

Loudwhistle Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:13pm

Clock not started properly?

I had one that was weird last week, BV, I'm T bringing ball up with heavy pressure, I get to 10 seconds and blow my whistle, indicate and yell 10 seconds. V coach yells out, but 10 seconds hasn't ticked off the clock, I yelled back, then they didn't start the clock properly. Looked at partners and they didn't have any information, kind of gave the beats me look. (I usually look up at the clock as soon as the throwin is complete to make sure its been started, but in this case I had too much action to watch) I count every morning as my instant coffee is heating in the microwave, but during a game I wouldn't be surprised that I speed up. Any suggestions on how to get this right? I don't want to be slow with my count and not reward the defense, and of course I don't want to be fast and penalize the offense. This is the first time this has happened. Later review of game showed the clock ticked off 9 seconds when I called 10, so I was wrong. The clock was started properly.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 660395)
Then the clock should be used, not the official swinging his arm.

As a coach, I'm counting the arm swings. I would be very hot if a C came in and told me we used 10 seconds when the T had only swung his arm 8 times. I might have called a timeout or something. I would likely earn a technical in the process, too.

And as the T, I would probably.....oh, wait, I know how this story plays out, don't I?

The problem with using the clock, and the reason we don't do it, is that you often can't watch the play and the clock at the same time.

I understand that the officials count (arm swing) is offiical, but anyone that argues for/against a call/non-call when a properly started clock indicates otherwise has a valid point. I constantly check my count against the clock...if for no other reason than to verify its pace.

I've observed that a distinct majority of officials count way too slow. The clock will consistently indicate that 10 has expired before, sometimes way before, the official gets to 10.

And I'm NOT suggesting that the C should jump in and call it unless the FED issues a ruling that says the clock is official....then anyone that sees the clock can call it.

dahoopref Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:27pm

NCAA Rule 5 Sec 9 Art 4

When play is resumed by a throw-in, the game clock and shot clock
shall be started when the ball is legally touched by or touches a player on
the playing court.

Rule 9 Sec 10

An inbounds player (and his team) shall not be in continuous control of a ball that is in his back court for 10 consecutive seconds.

So in essence, a defensive player can tip a throw-in pass and start the game/shot clock. The ball can be batted around by both teams for 5 seconds and only when the offensive team gains control of the ball, the 10-second count shall start; the shot clock would be at 30 seconds at this point and there would NOT be a 10 second violation when the shot clock shows 25.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 660414)
I had one that was weird last week, BV, I'm T bringing ball up with heavy pressure, I get to 10 seconds and blow my whistle, indicate and yell 10 seconds. V coach yells out, but 10 seconds hasn't ticked off the clock, I yelled back, then they didn't start the clock properly. Looked at partners and they didn't have any information, kind of gave the beats me look. (I usually look up at the clock as soon as the throwin is complete to make sure its been started, but in this case I had too much action to watch) I count every morning as my instant coffee is heating in the microwave, but during a game I wouldn't be surprised that I speed up. Any suggestions on how to get this right? I don't want to be slow with my count and not reward the defense, and of course I don't want to be fast and penalize the offense. This is the first time this has happened. Later review of game showed the clock ticked off 9 seconds when I called 10, so I was wrong. The clock was started properly.

I check my count against the clock throughout the game. Ball inbounded in backcourt, check to see that the clock starts. Check again when I get to five and make sure I'm on track. If there is pressure, check again around eight if I can.

Checking throughout the game makes sure I don't get gradually hurried up by the pace of the game.