The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question Quick Clock Finger

I observed this in a high school (FED) game and wanted to see how you guys would handle this. Visiting team shooting the second of two free thows with 3.0 showing on the clock (there was tenths of seconds on the clock). The shot was missed. H1 rebounds the ball and the home teams request a timeout. When the whistle blows, the clock still shows 3.0. What should have been done at this point? Rule references would be greatly appreciated. I will share later how this was handled.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Definitive Knowledge

For NFHS, by rule there has to be definitive knowledge of the time between the touching and the granting of the timeout for a correction to be made. Check rule 5-10-1 and 5-10-2. That rule states what is needed for a timing error to be corrected - definitive knowledge of what time should be placed on the clock, obtained through an officials count or other official information.

However, there is a 2009-10 Interp that says something a bit different:

SITUATION 11: Team B scores a goal to take the lead by one point. A1 immediately requests and is granted a timeout with three seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Following the time-out, Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in from anywhere along the end line. A1 passes the ball to A2, who is also outside the boundary; A2 passes the ball to A1 who is inbounds and running the length of the court. The timer mistakenly starts the clock when A2 touches A1's pass while standing outside the boundary. An official notices the clock starting on A2's touch (a), before A2 releases the throw-in pass to A1, (b), while A2's throw-in pass is in flight to A1, or (c), as soon as A1 catches the throw-in pass. RULING: This is an obvious timing mistake and may be corrected. In (a) and (b), the official shall blow the whistle, stop play and direct the timer to put three seconds on the game clock. Since the throw-in had not ended, play is resumed with a Team A throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A "do over" is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)

Pay particular attention to (c) which seems to contradict the ruling in 5-10.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Definite Knowledge

The interp mentions putting time back on the clock. The OP is in a different situation. So I do not think the interp can be used in this situation.

The clock did not start, without definite knowledge, time can not be taken off the clock.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
The interp mentions putting time back on the clock. The OP is in a different situation. So I do not think the interp can be used in this situation.

The clock did not start, without definite knowledge, time can not be taken off the clock.
I disagree (and I'm sure others will disagree with me). I think this interp was critical in explaining that definite knowledge is not an 'all or nothing' thing in the eyes of the NFHS.

In this play, we have definite knowledge that some time should have come off the clock. The interp gives us some (though still vague) reference to how much time should come off in a 'simultaneous' type situation.

The other rule I'm in favor of utilizing in a situation like this is the three-tenths rule. If a player can't control and shoot a ball in less than 0.3 seconds, then he can't control a rebound and call timeout in less than 0.3 seconds. I'm definitely in favor of an interpretation, case play, or even explicit rule change that makes 0.3 the minimum that must come off the clock in a case like this.