The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

Here's the situation:

Towards the end of the third quarter, visiting team (team B) shoots a three, weak side rebound foul on Home team (team A) as time expires. This would turn out to be the 7th team foul.

Fourth quarter starts and we have team B with ball. 20 seconds in, I have a charge on the team B player. Team B coach tells us the foul at the end of quarter should have been bonus. Home Team Clock didn't bother to let us know it was the seventh team foul.

After I report my offensive charge on team B, we come together to discuss the possible Correctable Error.

In our discussion and with all the noise and pressure of the moment, we came to the conclusion that the end-of-quarter was the first dead ball. The ball then became live at the start of the quarter and the second dead ball made the correctable error situation invalid. Our reasoning was that if the horn would have notified us of the bonus situation before the next dead ball, we could have corrected the error.

Now my question is this:

What is the point at which we could have gone back and shot the free throws for the 7th team foul at the end of the third quarter?

Does the end of the quarter have anything to do with "proclaiming" the first dead ball?

I have looked at the case book and read the rule many times and I think I'm reading too much into this.

thanks!
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

According to the rule, it must be discovered during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. It seems to me the clock didn't start after the error until the next quarter. The first dead ball after that was when the coach brought it to your attention, so it was still within the proper window to correct.

Clear the lane and shoot the bonus, give the ball to A for POI.

Now, my next question, how bad was the push by the team A player that you called a rebounding foul as time expired?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
According to the rule, it must be discovered during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. It seems to me the clock didn't start after the error until the next quarter. The first dead ball after that was when the coach brought it to your attention, so it was still within the proper window to correct.

Clear the lane and shoot the bonus, give the ball to A for POI.

Now, my next question, how bad was the push by the team A player that you called a rebounding foul as time expired?
Thanks for responding Snaq!

Your question is valid as the team B coach wanted intentional. It was "a hard" foul, but both the Trail/Lead came together and agreed it was just that. I was at "C" and all i saw was carnage as the horn sounded. I had the shooter. Trail/Lead had weak side from me.

I see from your response that you don't believe the end-of-quarter was the first dead ball and that the issue would had to be corrected before the first whistle. With all the commotion, cheer leaders, crowd noise, etc, it would have been nice for us to go to our happy place and talk it out some more...

I welcome more response....
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post
Thanks for responding Snaq!

Your question is valid as the team B coach wanted intentional. It was "a hard" foul, but both the Trail/Lead came together and agreed it was just that. I was at "C" and all i saw was carnage as the horn sounded. I had the shooter. Trail/Lead had weak side from me.

I see from your response that you don't believe the end-of-quarter was the first dead ball and that the issue would had to be corrected before the first whistle. With all the commotion, cheer leaders, crowd noise, etc, it would have been nice for us to go to our happy place and talk it out some more...

I welcome more response....
The end of the quarter was the dead ball in which the mistake was made, right? 2-10-2 states that it must be recognized by the official "no later than the first dead ball after the clock has properly started."

The way I read it, the first dead ball after the clock started was the PC call in the next quarter. Right?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The end of the quarter was the dead ball in which the mistake was made, right? 2-10-2 states that it must be recognized by the official "no later than the first dead ball after the clock has properly started."

The way I read it, the first dead ball after the clock started was the PC call in the next quarter. Right?
Yep! You are correct. Where were you last night?

Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post
Yep! You are correct. Where were you last night?

Screwing up my own game.