The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The biggest problem I see watching JV officials work is that they come into the frontcourt, take one step or two over the division line, and plant themselves there. It's one thing I struggle with

When you're on ball (especially), you have to get angles and distance to what you're responsible for. If the ball is taken across the court, you have to go there. It you don't go towards (or into) the backcourt when you go across you will not have the angle you need to see through the defender and the ball handler or you'll be too close.
1st year here. I do work to get angles as T, mostly by moving towards the endline. I do not work the arc as much, mostly because I worry about being in the passing lanes. Ay advice there?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
1st year here. I do work to get angles as T, mostly by moving towards the endline. I do not work the arc as much, mostly because I worry about being in the passing lanes. Ay advice there?
It's why you step back, even into the backcourt.

You are going to be in the way from time to time, but you have to be in there so you can officiate. You'll get better at anticipating and moving out of the way as you get more experience.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
This is my typical move.

If the ball comes back up, I work the arc again. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
For you people that move wide and toward the endline when the ball is in the opposite corner....

How do you officiate the matchup (assuming there is one) on the opposite block?

It seems to me that often when the ball goes to the corner there is usally a big that flashes to the strong block or is already there and trying to establish position. This requires the T's attention as the L is wide and focused on the ball matchup. To me the only way to be able to officiate this matchup is to stay near to where the T needs to be to officiate the ball on the opposite wing. If the shot goes up from the corner the time that the ball is in the air is your chance to close down and get wide for the rebounding action.

Just my $.02.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
For you people that move wide and toward the endline when the ball is in the opposite corner....

It seems to me that often when the ball goes to the corner there is usally a big that flashes to the strong block or is already there and trying to establish position. This requires the T's attention as the L is wide and focused on the ball matchup. To me the only way to be able to officiate this matchup is to stay near to where the T needs to be to officiate the ball on the opposite wing. If the shot goes up from the corner the time that the ball is in the air is your chance to close down and get wide for the rebounding action.

Just my $.02.
I think it's a compromise, really. You can't just stay there (IMO), because if the ball comes into the post and he/she pivots away from the lead, both of you have a terrible look at it and you won't be able to get any position that quickly. The lead is in the corner and (since there's no C) the T has to have a look at it.

I don't officiate the post play the same as if the player has the ball. I will come wider and towards the endline and still look in to make sure there's no holding or no restriction, etc. but I can't ignore the rest of the court just to put 100% of the focus on the post players.

The over-riding thought: 2-person sucks. It's a series of compromises.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
The same way I officiate the matchup if I had never moved out onto the court. If I am in my "home" position and there is a matchup on the opposite block, I don't move out near the center circle. I move where I need to be to include the block in my observations.

I only go (when off ball) as low as needed to "box in" the players on the floor. IMO, the Trail in 2-whistle is the hardest working positon of all including 3-whistle positions.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The over-riding thought: 2-person sucks. It's a series of compromises.
This.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The biggest problem I see watching JV officials work is that they come into the frontcourt, take one step or two over the division line, and plant themselves there. It's one thing I struggle with

When you're on ball (especially), you have to get angles and distance to what you're responsible for. If the ball is taken across the court, you have to go there. It you don't go towards (or into) the backcourt when you go across you will not have the angle you need to see through the defender and the ball handler or you'll be too close.
Rich...
Tried it tonight...it worked well.