The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 02:58pm
Jerry Blum

Question

Was watching a district boys game last night, and one of the better officials in our association was doing the game. Well wanting to try and pick something up if I could I started watching him and his partner's position as the Trail.

Personally when I am the trail I like to move around with the ball so that I have a pretty good angle on the play if something happens. Last night I noticed that for the most part, minus the steps toward the basket on shots, both guys stayed in the relatively the same area once they got set and the play was occuring.

My question is, expecially for the more veteran officials, is this a better practice than moving lower or onto the court depending on where the play is?

Jerry
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 03:00pm
In Memoriam

Well, I ain't gonna be a sundial.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I would be willing to bet that these guys do a lot of 3-person games. It is almost imperative that the trail official in 2-person move. If you are perched on the sideline and the ball is across the court, just above the FT line extended, that is long distance. Why not take a few steps towards the center of the court?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Six words:

WORK THE ARC

MIRROR THE BALL
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Pillars of Salt

I've did a game or two with whistles who like sitting in their own little corners in their own little world, being whatever they want to be (wait, isn't that a song??). I just mention it to our evalution committee members and ... whoops, they ARE our evalution committee members. Nevermind.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I as a trail like to explore the arc and try to find a better angle especially if your anticipating a foul.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Pillars of Salt

Quote:
Originally posted by theshortbaldref
I've did a game or two with whistles who like sitting in their own little corners in their own little world, being whatever they want to be (wait, isn't that a song??). I just mention it to our evalution committee members and ... whoops, they ARE our evalution committee members. Nevermind.

Pretty bold statement, Brad. Especially knowing that one member of your Evaluation Committee frequents this board. How many games are you looking for next year?

Also, the evaluator told me that he would like to see your thoughts on the "Correctable Error" thread. Not seeing one may also effect your schedule for for the next few years!

For a second I thought you were talking about the association member that branched out this year.

Blackhawk

[Edited by Blackhawk357 on Mar 7th, 2003 at 06:31 PM]
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackFox40
I as a trail like to explore the arc and try to find a better angle especially if your anticipating a foul.
Anticipate the play; don't anticipate the foul!

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Hey, that's my line....
Old Sat Mar 08, 2003, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Pillars of Salt

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Quote:
Originally posted by theshortbaldref

Pretty bold statement, Brad. Especially knowing that one member of your Evaluation Committee frequents this board. How many games are you looking for next year?

Also, the evaluator told me that he would like to see your thoughts on the "Correctable Error" thread. Not seeing one may also effect your schedule for for the next few years!

For a second I thought you were talking about the association member that branched out this year.

Blackhawk
Blackhawk -- Also note that that song he quoted from is from the TV version of Cinderella with Lesley Anne Warren in the early 70's. Pathetic!
Old Sat Mar 08, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Pillars of Salt

Blackhawk -- Also note that that song he quoted from is from the TV version of Cinderella with Lesley Anne Warren in the early 70's. Pathetic! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Rainmaker,

What's pathetic? Cinderalla or that you remember that?

Jay
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
I would be willing to bet that these guys do a lot of 3-person games. It is almost imperative that the trail official in 2-person move. If you are perched on the sideline and the ball is across the court, just above the FT line extended, that is long distance. Why not take a few steps towards the center of the court?
When I started long ago (ok Last year) I often went out on the court as trail. Probably if you drew a line from the lane out to the center line that is where Iwould go. I found I got caught alot on tipped skip passes etc. I now will maybe back up a few steps from the 28 and on to the court about a step our to, or slide up and down the end line. It was "recommended" I try this approach, and I have found it works very well.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Pillars of Salt

Blackhawk -- Also note that that song he quoted from is from the TV version of Cinderella with Lesley Anne Warren in the early 70's. Pathetic! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, I'd do Lesley Anne Warren in a heartbeat....well, not now, but back then I would have. She was a hottie, great gams in the slipper scene...

[Edited by theshortbaldref on Mar 10th, 2003 at 09:52 PM]