The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think I need a little help to improve when I am the Trail official and the ball is in the frontcourt.

When the ball is high, I am watching the defender(s) and the ball handler and administering visible counts as needed. But I think I am concentrating too much on the ball - there is a lot of action in my primary off the ball. And part of the problem is that I can't use the outside-in look that lets me cover my area when I am Lead, because of the L-shape of the area. I feel like I am either looking right at the ball, or looking left, or looking right.

Any advice on how to improve my coverage? Any mental tips (you know, like a swing thought in golf) that you use for this?

Thanks,

Matt
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mainly I just do a little self talk. Remind myself while the game is going that I have to watch my primary not just the ball.

I know its not the greatest but it's what works for me.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

One of my "thoughts" is a paraphrase of Crash Davis, my favorite character from my favorite movie - Bull Durham.

Crash had a mantra of "quick bat, quick bat" approaching the plate in a key hit situation.

I repeat "quick eyes, quick eyes" as a reminder as trail watching a big active area.

Eyes wide open, periphrial vision - glance quickly to strong motion "off the ball".

Thats all you got.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

While talking TRAIL

I don't want to hijack this thread but perhaps someone can add in appropriate positioning when working the Trail in Two-man mechanics.

I have been taught that as Trail I should work a large arc, approximately between a position at the intersection of the free-throw line and the side line and a position at the intersection of the nearer lane line and the division line. I've also been chastised for doing this.

How far do any of you get onto the floor when eyeballing this large area? ... let's say the ball is dribbled to a location across the court from you, above the free throw line, 10 feet from the coach... where are you as Trail?

Occasionally, I get caught (at the extreme end of my arc near the center circle) when this dribbler attempts a poor pass back to the other side of the court and a defender tips it toward me and towards his basket. This situation of the ball being tipped toward me probably happens in 10% of my games - 4 or 5 times a season. Where should I be?

I feel a need to be close to any contested action (so I can sell calls appropriately) and in this case I'm still 25 feet away.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

My $0.02

Humans adapt to complex environments by filtering. When I'm working the trail, I'm interested almost exclusively in two things: the ball (and the ballhandler), and matchups, which include screens. Very few violations or fouls can happen without one of those two key ingredients.

Focusing on those two things will help you see what's in your field of vision, at least what needs to be seen. Not getting too close to the action will help increase your field of vision.

However, there is stuff that's outside your field of vision. When you're working your arc, and are getting out near mid-court, it becomes very difficult to see what's happening near the baseline. This is an area where I think the lead needs to extend his area and help you out. At least he/she should make sure he/she sees, and calls, anything that "has to be gotten."
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what this adds to the conversation but I've been told to work the Trail much like the C works in 3 whistle. As for what to look at, a lot of it depends on how close the defender is to the ballhandler. The closer the defense gets, the more attention should be paid. I'd hate to miss an obvious one on the ballhandler because I was a little too focused on picking up something off ball.

I feel this is one of the more important things to go over in pregame. Being a good trail has a lot to do with having a good lead.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Referee th defense. If you feel like you are watching the ball too much you probably are... It's the defender, (primary and secondary you need to watch) you know where he ball is going. ( some place to the basket) Learn to read the plays you need to know when screens are coming.. etc.

When the ball is in your primary you have the ball but it may be you just need to expand your vision a little, You may need to take a step back and open up.

Where are all the players? You do not have to ref all 10 players if they are in the area. If ball is your lead has off ball calls. You just have to pick up the screens and drives from up high...

I have noticed that the biggest rookie mistake is that they watch the ball- off ball is so hard... Once you learn good off ball coverage you wont care what the ball does. Heck when I go to a NBA or college game, or even another hS game, I watch off ball. That's where the action is---

Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

If the ball is being defended in your primary, though, you have to have good ON ball coverage.

I think the secret to good trail work in 2-official basketball is not being afraid to come across the court -- I will come halfway across the court to get good angles on that ball/defender that are on the other side of the court just above the free throw line extended. Now, when coming across, you have to go DEEPER. So in the situation I just mentioned, it is common for me to wind up near or slightly in the backcourt when looking across the court.

Likewise, when the ball is being brought up, don't be afraid to come on the court when the ball is on the other side of the court. If anyone has ever saw old 2-whistle NBA on Classic Sports, notice how the officials came up almost right in the middle? This drives home for me that the trail has the entire backcourt and simply needs to get a position that allows for the best officiated game.

Rich
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I think the secret to good trail work in 2-official basketball is not being afraid to come across the court -- I will come halfway across the court to get good angles on that ball/defender that are on the other side of the court just above the free throw line extended. Now, when coming across, you have to go DEEPER. So in the situation I just mentioned, it is common for me to wind up near or slightly in the backcourt when looking across the court.

Likewise, when the ball is being brought up, don't be afraid to come on the court when the ball is on the other side of the court. If anyone has ever saw old 2-whistle NBA on Classic Sports, notice how the officials came up almost right in the middle? This drives home for me that the trail has the entire backcourt and simply needs to get a position that allows for the best officiated game.

Rich
Good points Rich. I like to take the coming across the court mechanic a little further by starting in the center of the floor and staying within 10-15 feet of the jump circle most of the time. I find it much easier to react to the first pass in the front court. If the action initially goes toward the side the lead is on, I'm in a good position to get angles to judge contact etc. If the ball swings back toward the other side on the perimeter, you can move toward the action and open up to get the angles on that side. Don't get me wrong, this certainly isn't used as an excuse for not hustling and getting position, but I remember early in my officiating years that I was spending more time trying to get into position as trail rather than being able to concentrate on calling a good game with a minimum of wasted movement.

[Edited by zakman2005000 on Dec 10th, 2003 at 04:58 PM]