The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Partner calls 44 fouls - I call 5.

Eighth grade boys game last night. Both teams double bonus both halves, mostly because my partner called 44 fouls (I counted them in the book after the game - I knew he had that many because I knew I called only 5 - three of his were technicals and one was a flagrant personal). Seven players fouled out - five on one team plus the ejection for the flagrant, two on the other. Pretty much, he was calling virtually any contact a foul. The game took almost two hours, and that's with one minute between quarters and a four minute halftime. Oh yeah - there were only three timeouts called in the entire game.

I get to work with him again tomorrow night in a girls game. Oh boy, er, I mean Oh girl.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A match made in heaven......

Seems like the foot is on the other shoe.......oh, you know what I mean!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What's the most foul shots you've had in a hs game?

Another association SHOT 84 FT during a girls varsity game last week here in VA.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Eighth grade boys game last night. Both teams double bonus both halves, mostly because my partner called 44 fouls (I counted them in the book after the game - I knew he had that many because I knew I called only 5 - three of his were technicals and one was a flagrant personal). Seven players fouled out - five on one team plus the ejection for the flagrant, two on the other. Pretty much, he was calling virtually any contact a foul. The game took almost two hours, and that's with one minute between quarters and a four minute halftime. Oh yeah - there were only three timeouts called in the entire game.

I get to work with him again tomorrow night in a girls game. Oh boy, er, I mean Oh girl.
Tell him he called over his quota of fouls in the last game and he doesn't get a whistle tomorrow. He can help with free throws and throwins.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 01:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Tell him he called over his quota of fouls in the last game and he doesn't get a whistle tomorrow. He can help with free throws and throwins.
You know? He might just do that.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 01:42pm
This IS My Social Life

Get with the Program!!!

You're not losing your luster, are you? You better get with the program and at least keep up with your partner!
We had both teams in bonus with 3:15 left in the third quarter last week. The thought occurred to me, why not just charge by the foul, instead of a price set in advance!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
You're not losing your luster, are you? You better get with the program and at least keep up with your partner!
We had both teams in bonus with 3:15 left in the third quarter last week. The thought occurred to me, why not just charge by the foul, instead of a price set in advance!
Interesting idea, dollar a "regular foul" 5 dollars a T. I wonder if Mark's partner really thinks that's the way it is. (Mark probably told him that before the game started, who wouldn't believe Mark??)
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Isn't this how the NBA guys did it? Refer to Donaghy book (first foul call tips the ball boy)
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The only good news was that he didn't call a lot of violations. Of course, when virtually every possession results in a foul, you don't have much chance to do that anyway.

Here's more bad news. He has one of those "toy" plastic whistles. I thought I was at the circus. I expected all the players who fouled out to return in a clown car or something. OK - that would have been cool.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Last night we had a 7-6 game at the end of the first quarter with 13 fouls on the board. 13 points, 13 fouls. It settled down *a bit* -- we "only" called 22 the remainder of the game.

A couple of years ago my partner and I were watching a brutal JV girls game from the stands and the fouls and points were neck and neck. We placed a friendly wager (one of those where there was really no bet other than who would buy the first round that night) on which would be ahead at the end of the third quarter (when we'd leave to get dressed). I took fouls and I was trying not to cheer every time the JV officials called a hack or a phantom foul. I was up by 2 close to the end of the third quarter when a girl nailed a 3 and I lost by 1.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game took almost two hours, and that's with one minute between quarters and a four minute halftime. Oh yeah - there were only three timeouts called in the entire game.
I would rather have overtime ....
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm sorry....so, so sorry.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game where I didn't call ANY fouls on one team and had around 12 on the other in the 4th quarter

Book keeper looked at me and said "You havent called any fouls on Kings Mountain"

I said "Because that hasn't been any"

The game ended though 12 to 1 on fouls
- so they had 1 atleast
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Had a boys JV game last week where we called a total of 16 fouls.
Both teams were running a zone offense and defense the whole game and neither team wanted to penetrate, so there was almost nothing going on in the post.
2 in the first, 0 in the second, 4 in the third and 10 in the fourth.
The only reason why there were that many in the fourth was because one team was fouling to stop the clock towards the end.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 04:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

At my game last night, I told my partner about what happened the previous night with the other guy calling 44 fouls. My partner told me he worked a game with that guy two weeks ago and he had almost the same situation. He didn't count the fouls, but he felt the other ref called 3 or 4 times as many as he called.

When I told him I have a 5th grade girls game with "Professor Foul" tonight, he said, "So.....you've got a three hour game lined up?" I told him that's about what I had already figured out and he just gave me his deepest sympathy. He suggested I remember to take lots of meds - as if I needed a reminder.