The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   blowing whistle for subs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56902-blowing-whistle-subs.html)

representing Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17am

Horn is always used in this area (and several other areas I've officiated in). I use the whistle if I see the sub but don't hear the horn for a second or two. If more subs are coming running to the table, I blow the whistle again to let my partner know not to hand the ball yet.

For the most part though, the horn lets us know there is a sub at the table. Unfortunately not edible though :rolleyes:

Rich Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 658298)
Horn is always used in this area (and several other areas I've officiated in). I use the whistle if I see the sub but don't hear the horn for a second or two. If more subs are coming running to the table, I blow the whistle again to let my partner know not to hand the ball yet.

For the most part though, the horn lets us know there is a sub at the table. Unfortunately not edible though :rolleyes:

The horn notifies the official. The whistle is used to bring the sub in. See Nevada's post.

I don't get the hesitation in this area. Of course my partners and I all whistle all the subs in, so maybe that's it.

JRutledge Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:38am

I use the whistle most of the time, but not all the time. I think it really depends on where you are located and how good the table personnel are in letting in subs.

Peace

DLH17 Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 658282)
Yep.

Yes, you double tweet OR yes, it is tacky? :confused::D

bob jenkins Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 658345)
I use the whistle most of the time, but not all the time. I think it really depends on where you are located and how good the table personnel are in letting in subs.

Peace

Hmm.. I must be wrong, but I thought one of IL's mechanic "adoptions" was to NOT whistle in subs?

fullor30 Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 658353)
Hmm.. I must be wrong, but I thought one of IL's mechanic "adoptions" was to NOT whistle in subs?

Bob, tell me more. Is this published somewhere?

fullor30 Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 658352)
Yes, you double tweet OR yes, it is tacky? :confused::D

Your question mark in OP was after tacky. Yes, it's 'tacky'.

JRutledge Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 658353)

I think it is suggested not to use it every time because it is not always necessary, but there is nothing against using the whistle. So it really comes down to who you work for.

Peace

fullor30 Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 658361)
I think it is suggested not to use it every time because it is not always necessary, but there is nothing against using the whistle. So it really comes down to who you work for.

Peace

Jeff, same question I asked Bob, do recall if this was written anywhere? A small wager hangs in the balance.

jdmara Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04am

Ironic that this was brought up. After the game on Friday the administrator for the evening knocked on the door and said that we had a visitor. Behind him was the IAHSAA director. He came walking in and discussed the game with us. One area that he is trying to emphasis is the sub procedure. This is the way he wants it:
  1. Sub checks into the game with the official scorer
  2. When the appropriate time come, the clock operator will buzz the horn
  3. The appropriate official will then blow their whistle and wave the subs into the game

He always wants the horn and always wants the whistle, in that order. My concern was that the clock operator may not always know the appropriate time to buzz the horn to let subs in but that's the way he wants it. His concern is that sometimes the officials let the subs in without properly checking into the game. I discussed it with my table on Tuesday and they have been told different things each game. I'm sure it's very confusing for them.

-Josh

Bad Zebra Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 658371)
...He always wants the horn and always wants the whistle, in that order. My concern was that the clock operator may not always know the appropriate time to buzz the horn to let subs in but that's the way he wants it. His concern is that sometimes the officials let the subs in without properly checking into the game. I discussed it with my table on Tuesday and they have been told different things each game. I'm sure it's very confusing for them.

-Josh

Thus my comment on unnecessary noise pollution. Isn't a horn AND whistle redundant/overkill? Is getting in the subs that big of a problem? *shrug* JMHO.

bbcof83 Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 658234)
Does anyone here, that uses a whistle when calling forth subs, use a "double or triple tweet"? Sometimes I do. Tacky?

In my opinion, yes. I tell the table to hit the horn on every sub even when I'm already looking right at them. No whistle is required and it goes against the mechanics manual to do so. I prefer to save my whistle for when it's really needed (fouls, violations and before throw-ins ONLY after a TO or long break).

EDIT:WHOA! I take it back, I just read this...

The official beckoning the subs in shall:
2. Sound his/her whistle, raise an open hand

jdmara Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 658372)
Thus my comment on unnecessary noise pollution. Isn't a horn AND whistle redundant/overkill? Is getting in the subs that big of a problem? *shrug* JMHO.

I agree with you 100%. Just relaying what Iowa's authoritative figure wants. As we always say, when in Rome...

-Josh

JRutledge Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 658367)
Jeff, same question I asked Bob, do recall if this was written anywhere? A small wager hangs in the balance.

It is not written because it is not required. That being said I am an IHSA Clinician with the state, so it really depends on who you work for. Some people like the whistle, others do not. But as you should know we do not use the NF Manuals so that information is not relevant to us necessarily unless otherwise stated.

Peace

Bad Zebra Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 658376)
As we always say, when in Rome...

-Josh

...tell Caesar he's full of it. :p