The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Question - Technical

Was watching Gardner Webb University play the other night. There was a call on the opposite end from Gardner Webb's bench. One of the GW players stood up (along with the coach) to argue a little, and the player came about 2 feet onto the court from the bench. Only one foot was out that far the other was still in the bench area.

The official saw this and pointed the player out and called a Technical Foul. Was this a player technical or bench technical. I'm not sure with NCAA rules. I'm guess 6 players on the court, or unsporting behavior??

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd bet it was a player technical for the jawing. You'd want to notch another foul on him.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I'd bet it was a player technical for the jawing. You'd want to notch another foul on him.
Well that's the thing. He didn't jaw. I heard him saw "Come on" when he jumped up and sort of made a arm movement. But other than that he didn't keep jawing.

Is there a rule about rising from the bench in manner to enter into an argument with an official. Could he have used the "unsporting behavior"??

I would bet that the stepping onto the court was the act that finished and sealed the deal for the Technical
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Class A technical to A1 for unsporting conduct. (Coming off the bench and waving arms is good enough for me) Counts as a personal to him and goes toward team A's foul count for that half. Team B is awarded two free throws and ball is put into play at POI. If Team B was in possession when the technical was assessed - reset the shot clock to 35.

Since he was a bench player, also assessed as a Class B technical to the head coach of Team A (no additional free throws nor does it add to Team A's foul count) The Class B does count toward Coach A for ejection purposes. A combination of two more Class B technicals or a Class A and another Class B would see him in the locker room early.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Well that's the thing. He didn't jaw. I heard him saw "Come on" when he jumped up and sort of made a arm movement. But other than that he didn't keep jawing.
For a bench player, this is all it takes.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
Class A technical to A1 for unsporting conduct. (Coming off the bench and waving arms is good enough for me) Counts as a personal to him and goes toward team A's foul count for that half. Team B is awarded two free throws and ball is put into play at POI. If Team B was in possession when the technical was assessed - reset the shot clock to 35.

Since he was a bench player, also assessed as a Class B technical to the head coach of Team A (no additional free throws nor does it add to Team A's foul count) The Class B does count toward Coach A for ejection purposes. A combination of two more Class B technicals or a Class A and another Class B would see him in the locker room early.

oh my.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post

Is there a rule about rising from the bench in manner to enter into an argument with an official. Could he have used the "unsporting behavior"??

I would bet that the stepping onto the court was the act that finished and sealed the deal for the Technical
He doesn't have to jaw. Protesting is not an authorized reason for a player to stand. That's a pretty easy call, IMO.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was a specific rule that is different than NFHS in the NCAA. I haven't had this problem yet, but if he starts the arm movement and remarks that's probably enough for me too for a bench player.