The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Stepping backwards to prevent yourself from falling is not giving ground. I just want to clarify that a player does not need to plant the feet and fall down in order to draw a foul here.
However, if they plant their feet and are displaced it is definitely a foul. If a player gives ground on their own with little contact, I've got nothing. Remember, not all contact is a foul.

We have to judge advantage/disadvantage. If the defender chooses to move when there is incidental contact, then I've got nothing. I see this more frequently at the lower level where the offensive player moves backwards and the defender moves her feet with them. Very little if any contact. The contact didn't displace the player. The defender chose to move backwards on their own. I didn't mean to imply that they have to plant their feet to get the foul, just that if they are moving backward it now becomes a judgement call whether the contact was incidental or not. But that's what we get paid for.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, it's the same as a "moving screen." If the screener is moving, but the defender voluntarily gets out of the way or moves wider to go around it, it's nothing.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed, it's the same as a "moving screen." If the screener is moving, but the defender voluntarily gets out of the way or moves wider to go around it, it's nothing.
Could this physical act being discussed also be same/similar to the commom scenario of player A1 "sealing" player B1 from a loose ball that is traveling towards OOB?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 04:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Could this physical act being discussed also be same/similar to the commom scenario of player A1 "sealing" player B1 from a loose ball that is traveling towards OOB?
Exactly. If the "sealing" player gets to the spot first, it's legal. If they create contact while moving and displace or impede the opponent, it's a foul.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly. If the "sealing" player gets to the spot first, it's legal. If they create contact while moving and displace or impede the opponent, it's a foul.

Unless, of course, they are moving in the same path and direction -- which is what I judge 99% of the time.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the key word I was looking for in the OP. If A2 is impeding B1 from coming to play defense on A1, we would have a foul. Did I interpret that right?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Unless, of course, they are moving in the same path and direction -- which is what I judge 99% of the time.
Good point, I was thinking of lateral movement by the "sealer." Normally, however, the sealer is either moving slowly with the opponent or gets to the spot in time.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
This is the key word I was looking for in the OP. If A2 is impeding B1 from coming to play defense on A1, we would have a foul. Did I interpret that right?
Yes, if the impediment is caused by illegal contact for which A2 is responsible.