The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say make sure your mechanics are strong and crisp. They guy that taught me used to tell us that 90% or more of officiating is looking like you know what's going on. The more calm and confident you appear, the less crap you're going to take. I agree with Deecee that early on, you're better off avoiding conversations with coaches. Every time I've moved up and joined a better league, I've made a conscious effort to avoid the coaches until they get to know my face. I have heard of some college assignors that will tell 1st year guys in their leagues not to talk to coaches, period.

Good T btw. There's no worse feeling in the world of officiating than walking out of a gym knowing you should have assessed a T and didn't. Over time you'll know when you have to bring the hammer and when you can talk your way out of it. Its a constant learning curve no matter how long and what levels you've worked.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

A guy that just retired from officiating this past year used to tell newbies:

"when in doubt - use your clout - it's always easier to ease up the next time"
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Question, how well has putting the hand up worked for you? IOW, how often do you have to issue a T when you use it?

I ask because I can't imagine it working that well, especially with an official whom the coach sees as young. But I'm open to being wrong on this.

My further advice is to speak to coaches like adults, with respect.
The only reason I put up my hand is in case my booking agent or the school reviews the tape they will see I was giving him a warning not only verbally but visually as well. You never know what the coach might tell them I said but they can always see the hand up.

I haven't had any T's while I'm giving the hand. They were on later in the game after that initial warning.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wondered if it wasn't for some sort of visual evidence. IMO, the visual evidence is worthless. Either your assigner accepts your word, or he doesn't.

If he does, the tape isn't necessary. If he doesn't, it's not going to be enough.

Coach: "I asked what my player did on the foul he called, and he blew me off by putting his hand in the air. I asked again, and he gave me a T."
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wondered if it wasn't for some sort of visual evidence. IMO, the visual evidence is worthless. Either your assigner accepts your word, or he doesn't.

If he does, the tape isn't necessary. If he doesn't, it's not going to be enough.

Coach: "I asked what my player did on the foul he called, and he blew me off by putting his hand in the air. I asked again, and he gave me a T."
Well Kenny (the assigner) is always on our side and always hears our side first. However, I like to make sure if the tape is reviewed all the evidence is pointing to the coach/player (hand, eye contact, ect). I understand he cant go solely on our word and sometimes he needs to review the tape if an accusation is thrown out there or situation
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
I'm hoping some of the vets on here can give me some advice. I am turning 21 in April doing JV/Freshman games and tend to think that coaches get on me a little more than your average official because of my age. Considering I really can pass for about 16 or 17. What are some good pointers to dealing with coaches? I had to give a coach a "T" tonight in boys freshman game after he stood up and walked toward me whinning for a travel call. In retrospect I wish I could have dealt with it different and not have given the T there. One thing I think I could have done was ask the coach he if wanted a full or a thirty. What are your thoughts?

Also another question tonight I ref'd with a official who had less experience then I do and to say the least the guy wasn't much help with game management. How do you deal with partners that tend to be a little weaker then you are while you your self our still working towards gaining confidence?

Thanks for the advice!

I had a coach the other day whose team wasn't playing very well, and he was in my partner and I for most of the 1st half. We didn't pay much attention to it except for a couple of explanations during freethrows. In the second half he admitted he was frustrated with his players and had taken it out on us in the 1st half. I turned to his bench and said "I expect to get worked a little during and game coach, and I would feel cheated if you never said anything". He laughed. I think that lets them know you are willing to listen and aren't intimitdated during your interactions. I have pinned one coach this year and he knew it was coming. I treat it like any other foul, with the same emotion. report, assess, and move on. Let one of your partners buckle him in and move opposite side. This gives him/her a chance to cool down if he feels further explanation on a foul is warranted. I have always felt if they are pissed, and you are going to stay table side with your *** in there face they deserve a little rope. That's why we pre-game T's on the coach and how we will handle it. Some guys may feel different, this is just one way of handling it.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm "younger" too, and from my experience there is no bigger tool you can have than knowing the rules. It'll take a long time to learn all of the one offs discussed in this board, but really get your head in the book and know the rules that are most prevalent to the game and that coach's commonly complain about. If you have not experienced it already, coach's complaints tend to revolve around traveling, lane violations, and most commonly fouls.

If you can recite a few rules and show that your calls are justified by correctly applying said rules, you'll gain instant credibility.

Use definitive terms like: legal guarding position, displacement, and suspension of the three second count. Coach's realize that either, a) you know what you are talking about or b) that they might not know what they are talking about.

I think talking with coaches willhelp you gain credibility as long as they are willing to test you with a QUESTION. As said earlier, complaints and commands don't warrant a response. Of course if you don't know a certain rule, you will have to stick with your favorite blanket statement provided earlier.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Well Kenny (the assigner) is always on our side and always hears our side first. However, I like to make sure if the tape is reviewed all the evidence is pointing to the coach/player (hand, eye contact, ect). I understand he cant go solely on our word and sometimes he needs to review the tape if an accusation is thrown out there or situation
I suppose there may be some areas where it's an expected, acknowledged, and accepted signal. Where I've worked, not so much. Personally, I'd view it as unnecessarily dismissive and insulting.

Unless you're told differently by your assigner's trainers and mentors, I'd recommend against using it. I've only had it backfire, others use it with success.

I have used it on players with success, but the authority angle is different there. Coaches are used to being respected and treated as adults. We don't want them to show us up in front of the crowd, so I would prefer to extend them the same courtesy and warn them quietly. Video will confirm this just as much as the stop sign.

That's just me, tough.