View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Twenty-two here and in my second year doing high school basketball. I do the full gauntlet from 7th grade middle school games to varsity. I haven't really had an issue of coaches looking down on me or trying to pick on me due to age. That's not to say a coach hasn't tried. If you handle yourself well out there and do things professionally, I've found coaches will treat you like any other.

As others have said, answer appropriate questions and ignore comments. When those comments start to be prolonged, profane, and/or personal, warn the coach (some will suggest using the stop sign; I'm not one to use it, but see what works for you) and tell your partner(s) of said warning. If coach has been warned, you have to follow through if coach crosses the line. Sometimes though, coach will cross the line before you can give him a warning, and you just have to give a T. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Have you tried asking members, of similar age, in your association about their experiences with coaches? I know when I started out, I asked all the questions I could with all the veterans in my association, but I especially reached out to the younger varsity officials to get their insight and see how they handled themselves.

Last edited by APG; Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 06:16am.