The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Once you wonder about a call during a game it happens all the time... I need clarificaiton on a rule and where to find it. Here we go... If a ball is going out of bounds on either a shot, pass or loose ball can the player that didn't touch the ball last continue to box out a player that is going for the ball to keep it in play???
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sure...as long as they do not commit a foul in doing so.

Z
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation Proceed with caution!

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpball6
Once you wonder about a call during a game it happens all the time... I need clarificaiton on a rule and where to find it. Here we go... If a ball is going out of bounds on either a shot, pass or loose ball can the player that didn't touch the ball last continue to box out a player that is going for the ball to keep it in play???
jumpball6,
We may have a foul on the illegal screen, or a push on the player behind, but use good judgment when calling a foul in this sitch. That is, make sure it's a foul and not merely incidental contact.
mick
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Each player is entitled to his place on the floor as long as he legally obtained it. If he moves to prevent the player behind from getting the around him, he's guilty of blokcing. But like mick said, I'd be very careful about calling it. Did he really have a chance to save the ball? Was the contact legal?
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpball6
It's just a screen -- apply those rules.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's NOT like soccer, where the ref can call "obstruction" for stepping into the opponent's path without playing the ball. In basketball, that kind of play is completely legal as long as there is no illegal contact.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Jumpball6, I agree with Bob that you would treat it as a screen. Be careful Rainmaker, because a player cannot step into an opponent's path without giving that opponent time and distance to avoid contact. Since neither one of these players have the ball time and distance is critical. Obviously, if an opponent had the ball then time and distance would not have to be given by the defender. Now to be in line with the previous responses I would agree that you would want to be careful on this call. Only call if obvious and you really believe the player could have saved the ball. Or call if violent or looks real ugly even if the player could not save the ball.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Be careful Rainmaker, because a player cannot step into an opponent's path without giving that opponent time and distance to avoid contact.
You're right, but if there's no contact, it's not a foul, for instance if the other player dodges, or stops. I'm not recommending that players should be stepping into each other's paths willy-nilly, just pointing out that the ref can't call anything if there's no contact. In soccer, a foul can be called without contact, if the stepper-in is just trying to body-block, without playing the ball. At least, at some levels.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Be careful Rainmaker, because a player cannot step into an opponent's path without giving that opponent time and distance to avoid contact.
You're right, but if there's no contact, it's not a foul, for instance if the other player dodges, or stops. I'm not recommending that players should be stepping into each other's paths willy-nilly, just pointing out that the ref can't call anything if there's no contact. In soccer, a foul can be called without contact, if the stepper-in is just trying to body-block, without playing the ball. At least, at some levels.
Just a small point of clarification -- I think I remember this from my soccer referee days. If the ball is going "out of touch" - i.e., going out of bounds, you can legally screen an opponent from the ball as long as you do not hold your opponent. Obstruction should not be called if the ball is within playing distance. You do not have to play the ball, it just has to be within "playing distance".
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Just a small point of clarification -- I think I remember this from my soccer referee days. If the ball is going "out of touch" - i.e., going out of bounds, you can legally screen an opponent from the ball as long as you do not hold your opponent. Obstruction should not be called if the ball is within playing distance. You do not have to play the ball, it just has to be within "playing distance".
Thanks for the clarification. I have never reffed soccer, but my husband has played semi-pro in the past and we compare rules from time to time -- current hoop rules set up next to 20-year-old footer rules. My only other soccer experience is being thrown off the field for yelling at the refs at my sons games (yes, I am one of THOSE parents!!)
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 02:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

I love to tell a coach that obstruction is only a foul in soccer. He keeps their mouths shut for about 30 sec.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Exclamation now you did it

I knew you two talking about soccer would wake up the sleeping giant!
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My only other soccer experience is being thrown off the field for yelling at the refs at my sons games (yes, I am one of THOSE parents!!)
You should be ashamed!
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

In keeping on the subject, (for Todd)

Sitch: B1 is following a ball that is going out of bounds last touched by A1, he is obviously going to let it go and is making no attempt to save it. A2 comes running at full speed, going to sacrifice his body by saving the ball and going into the stands. At the last possible second B1 notices him and takes a step to the right into the path of A2 who has no chance to keep from plowing B1 into the stands. We have a block on B1 right?

Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

devdog69:

If B1 did not give A2 a chance to avoid B1, I have a block on B1. Books defines chance as a step. You have to see the play, but what you described sounds like a block.