Thread: Boxing Out!!!!
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Be careful Rainmaker, because a player cannot step into an opponent's path without giving that opponent time and distance to avoid contact.
You're right, but if there's no contact, it's not a foul, for instance if the other player dodges, or stops. I'm not recommending that players should be stepping into each other's paths willy-nilly, just pointing out that the ref can't call anything if there's no contact. In soccer, a foul can be called without contact, if the stepper-in is just trying to body-block, without playing the ball. At least, at some levels.
Just a small point of clarification -- I think I remember this from my soccer referee days. If the ball is going "out of touch" - i.e., going out of bounds, you can legally screen an opponent from the ball as long as you do not hold your opponent. Obstruction should not be called if the ball is within playing distance. You do not have to play the ball, it just has to be within "playing distance".