The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,

Your right, I had no idea for sure. My thought at the time of the "T" was where was the warning??

But without a rule book on hand - I couldn't be sure enough to argue.

Later, in the next game, my player was asked to tuck in. In this case however the shirt was just loose and NOT untucked at all. My player showed the ref this, and he said, "tuck it in, or its a technical" Here I had an argument and pretty much gave it to him. He put me on the repeater, saying "look in the rule book", "its in the rule book" over and over

So here I am

Now, to the question if he was cheating, I told my wife somebody would say that! hahahaha
IDK I would say that. Was he showing favor, yes. How could he not for many of the reasons mentioned. He lives in the village, works at the school etc. WOuld I work games in my own hometown??, no - but these are cards we are dealt out here. Only for the League Tournament, District tournament are refs flown in.

All that said, there were two referees on the court and the 2nd in this case called a decent game. That in its self makes the flaws of the other guy stand out even more. As a coach all you want to know is was your team was good enough or not. You don't want to leave the talking about a ref. I am sure you all feel the same. AND that hasn't been the case 95% of time otherwise I wouldn't coach through that kind of BS - even out here.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:40am
We don't rent pigs

Not to overstate the obvious, but I'll do it anyway. If I understand correctly, you are dealing with local hometown officials, and are concerned about the possibility of bias. Having heard all that, the one fact that is certain is that in reviewing the game, the calls, and anything else, one person who has every reason to be biased is YOU. Can you be completely objective about things concerning your own team? People tend to see what they want to see. Is the hometown thing true when your team plays at home?

Sometimes one team seems to get "all the calls." Sometimes there simply is no reason for this perception. I have on more than one occasion said "This calling seemed one-sided to me........and I was one of the ones doing it."

Go figure.

Lonesome Dove