The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

2 hr JV game and then things got worse

Not one I worked, but one in my area.

"Maybe the two-hour JV game was a sign of things to come.
And Tuesday night’s varsity girls basketball game between host Westland John Glenn and Livonia Franklin proved to be a long, drawn-out affair as well.

In a game that featured a total of 84 turnovers and 45 fouls called, it was Franklin that emerged the winner with a 57-43 triumph."
Patriot girls cagers win slugfest, 57-43 | hometownlife.com | the Observer & Eccentric Newspapers and Hometown Weeklies

I might have needed a new whistle after that.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Waiting for my V contests the other night I watched the first half of the JV boys game (our region of NC has the teams playing 4 contests an evening in a given gym, starting at 4: JVG, JVB, VG, VB). Three man crew, called 42 fouls in the first half. Unbelievable. Between fouls and violations (of which there were many) I never remember the clock running for more than a 15 second stretch. Must have called about the same in the 2nd because we were over an hour late starting the V contests.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Waiting for my V contests the other night I watched the first half of the JV boys game (our region of NC has the teams playing 4 contests an evening in a given gym, starting at 4: JVG, JVB, VG, VB). Three man crew, called 42 fouls in the first half. Unbelievable. Between fouls and violations (of which there were many) I never remember the clock running for more than a 15 second stretch. Must have called about the same in the 2nd because we were over an hour late starting the V contests.
Curious, were they legitimate fouls, or were they a little liberal on the whole "advantage" thing?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Curious, were they legitimate fouls, or were they a little liberal on the whole "advantage" thing?
Most were legitimate fouls. There were some in the mid-court area I thought they could have held their whistle on. Also, both teams weren't shooting well. When the ball doesn't go in it is hard to determine that some contact you may normally ignore didn't create an unfair advantage. From the stands it is hard to get a feel from the attitude, frustrations on the floor. Whether the teams could have played through a little more contact is mere speculation. That being said, the game had absolutely no flow. Games with no flow create more fouls, in my not so humble estimation.

But it still took a daggone long time to play. Got out of the gym at quarter to 11.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Most were legitimate fouls.
What Do you mean that 22 of 42 were legit? If so, the other 20 must have been suspect. Or did you mean more like 38 of them were legit?

How many fouled out in the 1st half?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
What Do you mean that 22 of 42 were legit? If so, the other 20 must have been suspect. Or did you mean more like 38 of them were legit?

How many fouled out in the 1st half?
Frankly, I wasn't that involved in the game. More likely I was thinking "at this rate I'll see sunrise when I'm headed for the parking lot."
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

UPDATE and Public Apology:

In the game referenced above I was pretty critical of the officials calling so many fouls. Tonight, I had those same teams (JV match tonight) in the opposite gym. Boys game (7 min quarters) took the better part of 2 hours; Visiting team fouled out all 5 starters and a 6th man; home team fouled out several; we could easily have called 40 more legitimate fouls; there were a bazillion turnovers; if I never see another free throw I've still had my share tonight; I cannot recall a foul that I or my partners called that I regret, but I can think of a number that I'm second-guessing passing on.

This is to offer a public apology to the un-named officials of the previous match. You guys probably had no choice--good job.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 01:36am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

when one of my friends became a varsity girls coach in 1999, we had an officiating crew in one of our early games that believed in calling everything. We won the game with 65 points. That was less than the number of total fouls called against both teams (68).

Since the article in the OP is in my general locale, maybe I should chime in and let them know they didn't come close to the number of fouls in my game mentioned here.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:39am.