The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odd/usual injuries during basketball games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56844-odd-usual-injuries-during-basketball-games.html)

BillyMac Mon Feb 01, 2010 06:58pm

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 657572)
Does taking out a cheerleader count?

I hope that she was one of those soft, squishy cheerleaders.

j51969 Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657261)
What's the oddest or most unusual injury you're heard of or seen when officiating??

I am asked cause right now I'm on the injured list due to going for a loose ball last night during Boys' Varsity Halftime. The ball was rolling across the floor during a pop shot, I fell onto the court & popped my left knee out of place.

Pulled my taint once. :D

chseagle Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:08pm

Injury update

For the next 4-6 weeks, my left leg will be in a knee immobilizer. Currently when I'm on my feet, I'm getting around using a walker. I am going to be renting a wheelchair tommorow to assist with the healing process.

As I mentioned earlier, there's only one regular season home game left, that's on Thursday, February 11tth. I did e-mail the principal to let him know of my status.

AKOFL Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657584)
I hope that she was one of those soft, squishy cheerleaders.

I hope she was a college or pro cheerleader because you should not be dating(taking out) the Highschool cheerleaders.:eek: :D

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 657585)
Pulled my taint once. :D

Obscure, but ROTFLMAO!

TimTaylor Tue Feb 02, 2010 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 657594)
I hope she was a college or pro cheerleader because you should not be dating(taking out) the Highschool cheerleaders.:eek: :D

OK, maybe I should have worded that better.....how a bout running over or colliding with a cheerleader:p

It wasn't much of a contest.....180# of me at full sprint down the side line covering a fast break vs. a maybe 5'4"/105# or so cheerleader that took a small step onto the court to get a better look at the play. I caught a glimpse of her out of my peripheral vision just as she stepped out and tried to avoid her, but was unable to completely avoid the collision......we hit shoulder to shoulder and she landed on her backside and slid about 20 feet. I asked the AD after the game, and fortunately other than being a little shaken up, she was otherwise OK....probably had a bruise or two the next day though.....

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:42am

Injury update

Saw the Orthopedic today. He checked my left leg, & diagnosed only a ligament tear. Will be in the knee immobilizer for another week. When go in to see the Orthopedic next week, will be put in a hinged leg brace.

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 06:46am

Thank Goodness

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 659838)
Saw the Orthopedic today. He checked my left leg, & diagnosed only a ligament tear. Will be in the knee immobilizer for another week. When go in to see the Orthopedic next week, will be put in a hinged leg brace.

We haven't heard from you in sooo long we imagined worse! Get well soon. ;)

Now, back OT.....while playing Rugby in college we were playing our rival school and there was a big pileup (shocking in Rugby, I know). All of a sudden you heard this loud SNAP - like breaking a penicil! And a scream! Ref halted the game (very unusual) and unpiled everyone..... Our scrum half suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg. Truly nasty. He was carted off and the game continued.

For all you Ruggers out there, it didn't affect the party afterwards though. :rolleyes:

BillyMac Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:56am

Stop By The Hospital After The Party ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659843)
He was carted off and the game continued.

Why didn't he keep playing? A real rugby player would have stopped the bleeding with some spit and mud and kept on playing.

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:05am

Good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659854)
Why didn't he keep playing? A real rugby player would have stopped the bleeding with some spit and mud and kept on playing.

I guess since we were in college he was more interested in the "liquid medicine" he could receive at the bench area. ;)

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659843)
We haven't heard from you in sooo long we imagined worse! Get well soon. ;)

Now, back OT.....while playing Rugby in college we were playing our rival school and there was a big pileup (shocking in Rugby, I know). All of a sudden you heard this loud SNAP - like breaking a penicil! And a scream! Ref halted the game (very unusual) and unpiled everyone..... Our scrum half suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg. Truly nasty. He was carted off and the game continued.

For all you Ruggers out there, it didn't affect the party afterwards though. :rolleyes:

For the past week, I'm been doing other things to keep myself busy.

Came to find out if I didn't have the insurance I had, I would of been compensated for out of pocket costs due to the injury through the school district.

Hearing about that Rugby injury does not surprise me one bit after seeing some games on TV.

Of course, overall the most odd/unusual injury I''ve seen was the injury by the Texas A&M Player considering the harshness of the injury.

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 659982)
For the past week, I'm been doing other things to keep myself busy.

Came to find out if I didn't have the insurance I had, I would of been compensated for out of pocket costs due to the injury through the school district.

Hearing about that Rugby injury does not surprise me one bit after seeing some games on TV.

Of course, overall the most odd/unusual injury I''ve seen was the injury by the Texas A&M Player considering the harshness of the injury.

So game on for you tomorrow night? Are you going to man up?

Ambulance drivers in the tri-county area are in code red in anticipation of your last regular season game. Are you day to day for state tournament?

You could hobble into gym and pull a Willis Reed getting a thunderous ovation for your gutsy return. Just think, crowd on it's feet as you nestle in behind the table, tossing aside your walker.

Chseagle............it's YOUR time!

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:45pm

Good man - Fullor! Made me chuckle.

"Rocky" or "We are the Champions" playing on the PA system?

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 660046)
Good man - Fullor! Made me chuckle.

"Rocky" or "We are the Champions" playing on the PA system?

This might work

YouTube - Gary Glitter - Rock'n Roll Part 2 1972

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660042)
So game on for you tomorrow night? Are you going to man up?

Ambulance drivers in the tri-county area are in code red in anticipation of your last regular season game. Are you day to day for state tournament?

You could hobble into gym and pull a Willis Reed getting a thunderous ovation for your gutsy return. Just think, crowd on it's feet as you nestle in behind the table, tossing aside your walker.

Chseagle............it's YOUR time!

I'll have to just wait & see what happens. I went in to see the AD yesterday. He has plans in place for other personnel to cover the secondary gym as climbing up bleachers is involved.

Concerning the main gym, I have no idea, until I get there.

When I'm out of the house, I use a wheelchair I rented so I'm not putting too much stress on my leg. If allowed, I might transfer myself from the wheelchair to the chair at the scorers' table & do shot clock tomorroe night for the 3 games in the main gym.