The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odd/usual injuries during basketball games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56844-odd-usual-injuries-during-basketball-games.html)

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 04:55pm

Odd/usual injuries during basketball games

What's the oddest or most unusual injury you're heard of or seen when officiating??

I am asked cause right now I'm on the injured list due to going for a loose ball last night during Boys' Varsity Halftime. The ball was rolling across the floor during a pop shot, I fell onto the court & popped my left knee out of place.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:12pm

Hmmm.....

Wow, that's a tough one. I'd have to say the most unusual one I've "heard" of was one time when a scorekeeper/security person was trying to retrieve a ball during half-time, he wiped out and hurt his knee. Bizarre! ;)

Seriously though - hope your knee injury is not too bad. Been there, done that. No fun.

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 657266)
Wow, that's a tough one. I'd have to say the most unusual one I've "heard" of was one time when a scorekeeper/security person was trying to retrieve a ball during half-time, he wiped out and hurt his knee. Bizarre! ;)

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator. I'd have to say the odds of an injury like mine happening is like 1:1000.

For at least a week, whenever I'm up on my feet, I have to be in a knee immobilizer. Went to the ER via ambulance, X-rays were done, no signs of damage to bone, however unsure about ligament or tendon damage. Am gonna call the orthopedic tomorrow to schedule a follow-up.

mutantducky Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:21pm

mentioned it here before but saw a ref get tagged in the jewelish area:rolleyes: by a long pass. he recovered after a minute or two.

mcdanrd Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:36pm

Homecoming night, GV before BV with homecoming ceremony at halftime of boys game. With about 2 seconds on clock in girls game H1 comes down with rebound and elbows H2 causing a huge gash over H2's eye. After halftime of boys game we see H2, the homecoming queen, getting her picture taken. She has about 4 butterfly bandages over her eye. Later we were told that she refused to go to the hospital to get stitches. She did go get the stitches after the homecoming ceremony.

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:43pm

Standing ovation

When I was going out to the ambulance on the stretcher, the announcer mentioned who I was & I got a standing ovation from everyone.

As soon as I went down after letting out a blood-curdling scream, I had several people by my side. I ended up near the home bench, between the sideline & the 3-pt. line, Thankfully I didn't hit my head or back.

Originally the halftime was a 10 minute halftime, it got extended to being about 30 minutes.

Rich Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:48pm

Last season an official at the University of Wisconsin pulled a muscle running out to the blocks for the start of the game. He didn't work. Don't remember what happened -- I think they started with 2 and someone came and jumped in later in the game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657270)
At the time I was shot clock operator.

For at least a week, whenever I'm up on my feet, I have to be in a knee immobilizer. Went to the ER via ambulance, X-rays were done, no signs of damage to bone, however unsure about ligament or tendon damage. Am gonna call the orthopedic tomorrow to schedule a follow-up.

Well, that's sureashell gotta be an L&I claim.

I'd consider a private law suit to cover your pain and suffering too. Notify the SPCSCO(Society to Prevent Cruelty to Shot Clock Operators) immediately also. They have branches in all major cities.

Whatever you do, don't let them get away with such a dastardly deed. We're all behind you.

And be sure to let us know if there's anything we can do, like maybe fire-bomb the gym so that something like this never happens again.

VTOfficial Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:01pm

A few years ago, when I was still a JV official, with about one minute left in the 2nd quarter, one of the varsity guys running ahead on a fast-break came up lame with a pulled hamstring. As they were headed to the room for halftime, he motioned for me to come out of the stands. I suited up and we tried to do 3-man for the second half, but after about one minute into the 3rd quarter he couldn't go any further so I got thrown into my first varsity 2-man game.

I wasn't at this game but an official I worked with said that at a VG game he had earlier this month, H1 went up for a shot and landed awkwardly on the defenders foot and broke both bones in her leg right above the ankle. I had the team last week and she is now in a full cast from toes to hip...ouch!!

fullor30 Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:31pm

Quote:

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator. I'd have to say the odds of an injury like mine happening is like 1:1000.

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good Gravy!

bob jenkins Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:34pm

Quote:

LMAO At the time I was shot clock operator.

Chasing the ball is the scorer's job.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 657290)

Good Gravy!

When I come home tired and sore my wife has no sympathy for me at all.

My mind is willing, but the flesh gets weaker and weaker! :(

But like you, I am aware of "the eagles" medical history......

BillyMac Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:52pm

Don't Let The Door Hit You In The *** On The Way Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657279)
When I was going out to the ambulance on the stretcher, the announcer mentioned who I was & I got a standing ovation from everyone.

chseagle: Are you sure that they weren't applauding because you were leaving?

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:54pm

Now THAT's Funny

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657301)

Oh so wrong, but funny.

BillyMac - you think after 30 minutes they wanted to get the game started? :rolleyes:

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657284)
Well, that's sureashell gotta be an L&I claim.

I'd consider a private law suit to cover your pain and suffering too. Notify the SPCSCO(Society to Prevent Cruelty to Shot Clock Operators) immediately also. They have branches in all major cities.

Whatever you do, don't let them get away with such a dastardly deed. We're all behind you.

And be sure to let us know if there's anything we can do, like maybe fire-bomb the gym so that something like this never happens again.

L&I wouln't cover it, as I was a volunteer. Being that I'm now on SSI I have medicaid for medical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 657290)

Good Gravy!

It's been like 3-4 months+ since I went to the ER via ambulance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 657293)

The scorer wouldn't be able move that easily considering her age. She don't go chasing balls. At the time she was out in the foyer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657301)

Actually I had the visiting HC coming over checking on me while I was on the court. It's common procedure that when a player or others are injured where the game is stopped/delayed that everyone in the crowd gives their support to the person injured. The game management is like an extended family.

biggravy Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:16pm

Did you check to see if the ambulance people were on their cell phones the whole way to the hospital?

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657308)
The scorer wouldn't be able move that easily considering her age. She don't go chasing balls. At the time she was out in the foyer.

Chasing parked cars?

Juulie Downs Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:44pm

Back to the OP question,

strangest injury I've seen, short girl is gathering to go up for the shot having beaten the defense. Tall defender curls in behind and reaches over shooter to try to block the ball. Shooter went up, defender was swinging down, shooter's head hit defender's arm, neck bent back, girl went down. She had to be taken out on a backboard with the head and neck immobilized. Later learned that it wasn't too serious, but she was out for the season.

Yes, I called a foul, intentional (excessive contact, with no real chance to play the ball). Coach wanted flagrant, of course, but no way could I justtify that. It was bad, but just stupid, no attitude at all.

Adam Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:53pm

When I was playing, player trying to steal 2nd on our catcher. He slides in at just the wrong angle and gets tagged in the marbles by the throw.

Sorry, no freakish injuries while reffing. I did have a couple girls knock themselves silly when they cracked heads going for a loose ball. No foul, both had equal advantage and opportunity.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:54pm

I had one the other night that was interesting.

A1 coming up the court and crosses the division line. B1 is covering very closely.....too closely.

A1 performs a nice cross over dribble (from his right to left) above the top of the key. B1 reaches across his body with his left arm and A1 keeps on going strong down toward the free throw line and BAM. TWEET!

As I report the foul, B1 is heading toward the bench in pain. He apparently reached so far across his body and was hit so hard he hurt his left arm.

Maybe that will teach him not to do that.......ok, probably not!

mutantducky Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:06pm

cool story but off-topic speaking of random injuries. check out the former Mayor of Vancouver, BC who helped get the Olympics there. Nytimes sports front story today. He is a quadriplegic because he tried to ski between his friend's legs when he was 19. long recovery but became a mayor.

AKOFL Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:22pm

wasn't reffing, but watched a player durring warm-ups compound fracture his leg between the knee and ankle. Thank goodness he had on high socks or we all would have seen his bones.:( was not pretty anyway.

chseagle Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 657314)
Did you check to see if the ambulance people were on their cell phones the whole way to the hospital?

The only ones I know of that was on cell phone was in back with me, but they were on phone for ambulance business. If I remember right, the driver doesn't have a cell phone.

icallfouls Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14pm

The Eagle has landed...

Might I suggest to the school that they should supply a bubble wrap suit for the remainder of the season.

I would recommend that the CHS adminstration begin an immediate search for your replacement. There should be various hand-eye coordination testing, gum chewing-walking testing, and a battery of test that include staying off the court and out of the way of the proper administration of all basketball contests.

If I were you, I would consider this injury a sign that basketball is not your calling. I would also suggest you find a sport with less chances for injury to a shot clock operator....tiddley winks (sharp sticks - NO!), how about chess clock operator?

Rock Chalk Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47pm

I had teammates hi/low a member of thier own team causing her to land on her head/neck and needed to be taken away on a backboard. Don't ask me how 3 defenders would all go for a long court length pass and not see each other, but it did. One took out her legs and the other hit her in the head/shoulders. Landed with such a thud. Not a nice thing to witness, but she only missed a week or two with a concussion and then played.

chseagle Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 657366)
Might I suggest to the school that they should supply a bubble wrap suit for the remainder of the season.

I would recommend that the CHS adminstration begin an immediate search for your replacement. There should be various hand-eye coordination testing, gum chewing-walking testing, and a battery of test that include staying off the court and out of the way of the proper administration of all basketball contests.

If I were you, I would consider this injury a sign that basketball is not your calling. I would also suggest you find a sport with less chances for injury to a shot clock operator....tiddley winks (sharp sticks - NO!), how about chess clock operator?

there's only one more regular season game, that's on February 11. Like I mentioned in an ealier posting, the odds of this happening to anyone is like 1:1000.

They have been training another person to do shot clock operations.

Smitty Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 657293)

That was funny. Good one, Bob... :D

Bad Zebra Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:06pm

Not really odd, but kinda scary. Girls middle school three years ago. Two players dive for loose ball and bonk heads. Both get up. One seems a little more dazed than the other and comes out of the game, rubbing her head and giggling from embarassment. Five minutes later, she collapses on the sideline. Game stopped. Ambulance called. EMT's arrive and immobilize her head/neck as a precaution because it is a head injury and she is AIRLIFTED out of the parking lot by a medical chopper to the closest hospital with level 1 trauma unit. Game continued after a half hour delay.

TimTaylor Mon Feb 01, 2010 06:27pm

Does taking out a cheerleader count?:D

KJUmp Mon Feb 01, 2010 06:56pm

Partner went to retrieve a ball that went OB at the corner of the end line and sideline and bounced near the end of the bleachers (small gym). He went to administer throw-in, and his arm was bleeding like a stuck pig. When he had grabbed the ball near the bleachers, his arm caught a piece of the metal bleachers. Plius, he now has blood on his shirt. Trainer patched up the arm, he did not have a spare shirt, my spare was too small. We finished game with him wearing a white T shirt.

BillyMac Mon Feb 01, 2010 06:58pm

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 657572)
Does taking out a cheerleader count?

I hope that she was one of those soft, squishy cheerleaders.

j51969 Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 657261)
What's the oddest or most unusual injury you're heard of or seen when officiating??

I am asked cause right now I'm on the injured list due to going for a loose ball last night during Boys' Varsity Halftime. The ball was rolling across the floor during a pop shot, I fell onto the court & popped my left knee out of place.

Pulled my taint once. :D

chseagle Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:08pm

Injury update

For the next 4-6 weeks, my left leg will be in a knee immobilizer. Currently when I'm on my feet, I'm getting around using a walker. I am going to be renting a wheelchair tommorow to assist with the healing process.

As I mentioned earlier, there's only one regular season home game left, that's on Thursday, February 11tth. I did e-mail the principal to let him know of my status.

AKOFL Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 657584)
I hope that she was one of those soft, squishy cheerleaders.

I hope she was a college or pro cheerleader because you should not be dating(taking out) the Highschool cheerleaders.:eek: :D

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 657585)
Pulled my taint once. :D

Obscure, but ROTFLMAO!

TimTaylor Tue Feb 02, 2010 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 657594)
I hope she was a college or pro cheerleader because you should not be dating(taking out) the Highschool cheerleaders.:eek: :D

OK, maybe I should have worded that better.....how a bout running over or colliding with a cheerleader:p

It wasn't much of a contest.....180# of me at full sprint down the side line covering a fast break vs. a maybe 5'4"/105# or so cheerleader that took a small step onto the court to get a better look at the play. I caught a glimpse of her out of my peripheral vision just as she stepped out and tried to avoid her, but was unable to completely avoid the collision......we hit shoulder to shoulder and she landed on her backside and slid about 20 feet. I asked the AD after the game, and fortunately other than being a little shaken up, she was otherwise OK....probably had a bruise or two the next day though.....

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:42am

Injury update

Saw the Orthopedic today. He checked my left leg, & diagnosed only a ligament tear. Will be in the knee immobilizer for another week. When go in to see the Orthopedic next week, will be put in a hinged leg brace.

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 06:46am

Thank Goodness

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 659838)
Saw the Orthopedic today. He checked my left leg, & diagnosed only a ligament tear. Will be in the knee immobilizer for another week. When go in to see the Orthopedic next week, will be put in a hinged leg brace.

We haven't heard from you in sooo long we imagined worse! Get well soon. ;)

Now, back OT.....while playing Rugby in college we were playing our rival school and there was a big pileup (shocking in Rugby, I know). All of a sudden you heard this loud SNAP - like breaking a penicil! And a scream! Ref halted the game (very unusual) and unpiled everyone..... Our scrum half suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg. Truly nasty. He was carted off and the game continued.

For all you Ruggers out there, it didn't affect the party afterwards though. :rolleyes:

BillyMac Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:56am

Stop By The Hospital After The Party ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659843)
He was carted off and the game continued.

Why didn't he keep playing? A real rugby player would have stopped the bleeding with some spit and mud and kept on playing.

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:05am

Good point

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659854)
Why didn't he keep playing? A real rugby player would have stopped the bleeding with some spit and mud and kept on playing.

I guess since we were in college he was more interested in the "liquid medicine" he could receive at the bench area. ;)

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659843)
We haven't heard from you in sooo long we imagined worse! Get well soon. ;)

Now, back OT.....while playing Rugby in college we were playing our rival school and there was a big pileup (shocking in Rugby, I know). All of a sudden you heard this loud SNAP - like breaking a penicil! And a scream! Ref halted the game (very unusual) and unpiled everyone..... Our scrum half suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg. Truly nasty. He was carted off and the game continued.

For all you Ruggers out there, it didn't affect the party afterwards though. :rolleyes:

For the past week, I'm been doing other things to keep myself busy.

Came to find out if I didn't have the insurance I had, I would of been compensated for out of pocket costs due to the injury through the school district.

Hearing about that Rugby injury does not surprise me one bit after seeing some games on TV.

Of course, overall the most odd/unusual injury I''ve seen was the injury by the Texas A&M Player considering the harshness of the injury.

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 659982)
For the past week, I'm been doing other things to keep myself busy.

Came to find out if I didn't have the insurance I had, I would of been compensated for out of pocket costs due to the injury through the school district.

Hearing about that Rugby injury does not surprise me one bit after seeing some games on TV.

Of course, overall the most odd/unusual injury I''ve seen was the injury by the Texas A&M Player considering the harshness of the injury.

So game on for you tomorrow night? Are you going to man up?

Ambulance drivers in the tri-county area are in code red in anticipation of your last regular season game. Are you day to day for state tournament?

You could hobble into gym and pull a Willis Reed getting a thunderous ovation for your gutsy return. Just think, crowd on it's feet as you nestle in behind the table, tossing aside your walker.

Chseagle............it's YOUR time!

grunewar Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:45pm

Good man - Fullor! Made me chuckle.

"Rocky" or "We are the Champions" playing on the PA system?

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 660046)
Good man - Fullor! Made me chuckle.

"Rocky" or "We are the Champions" playing on the PA system?

This might work

YouTube - Gary Glitter - Rock'n Roll Part 2 1972

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660042)
So game on for you tomorrow night? Are you going to man up?

Ambulance drivers in the tri-county area are in code red in anticipation of your last regular season game. Are you day to day for state tournament?

You could hobble into gym and pull a Willis Reed getting a thunderous ovation for your gutsy return. Just think, crowd on it's feet as you nestle in behind the table, tossing aside your walker.

Chseagle............it's YOUR time!

I'll have to just wait & see what happens. I went in to see the AD yesterday. He has plans in place for other personnel to cover the secondary gym as climbing up bleachers is involved.

Concerning the main gym, I have no idea, until I get there.

When I'm out of the house, I use a wheelchair I rented so I'm not putting too much stress on my leg. If allowed, I might transfer myself from the wheelchair to the chair at the scorers' table & do shot clock tomorroe night for the 3 games in the main gym.

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 660058)
I'll have to just wait & see what happens. I went in to see the AD yesterday. He has plans in place for other personnel to cover the secondary gym as climbing up bleachers is involved.

Concerning the main gym, I have no idea, until I get there.

When I'm out of the house, I use a wheelchair I rented so I'm not putting too much stress on my leg. If allowed, I might transfer myself from the wheelchair to the chair at the scorers' table & do shot clock tomorroe night for the 3 games in the main gym.

With our everchanging technology there has to be a way you could do the shot clock from your bedside.

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660094)
With our everchanging technology there has to be a way you could do the shot clock from your bedside.

16 miles away??

That would be very interesting to see.

The AD saw my situation yesterday, I'll leave up to him or his designated representative to make the decisions concerning what happens Thursday.

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 660097)
16 miles away??

That would be very interesting to see.

The AD saw my situation yesterday, I'll leave up to him or his designated representative to make the decisions concerning what happens Thursday.

Bellagio sports book in Vegas has you at a prohibitive favorite to show up.

Team has you listed as 'questionable' (injury wise of course) and should that be upgraded, look for the smart money from the East coast to come into play

chseagle Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660110)

Team has you listed as 'questionable' (injury wise of course) and should that be upgraded, look for the smart money from the East coast to come into play

So what are the odds?? How good would the winnings be??

Maybe I'll make a bet.

I can be on my feet for short timeframes but have to have some sort of support nearby to walk (wall, table, counter, walker, etc.)

If I do work in the main gym tomorrow doing shot clock, I'll be wheeled close to the scorers' table, transfer myself into the chair in front of the shot clock controls, & have the wheelchair off to the side folded up.

fullor30 Tue Feb 09, 2010 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 660125)
So what are the odds?? How good would the winnings be??

Maybe I'll make a bet.

I can be on my feet for short timeframes but have to have some sort of support nearby to walk (wall, table, counter, walker, etc.)

If I do work in the main gym tomorrow doing shot clock, I'll be wheeled close to the scorers' table, transfer myself into the chair in front of the shot clock controls, & have the wheelchair off to the side folded up.

Relative of yours? Notice the starter pistol which may only be germane to your area for high school basketball scorer/crowd control

http://www.freeringtonesfyi.com/wp-c...ymond-burr.jpg

rsox34 Tue Feb 09, 2010 08:49pm

Injured on Fathers Day a few years ago

I was officiating a boys game a few Summers ago on Fathers Day when I got badly injured. The Facility has three courts that are adjacent to each other (side-by-side.) I'm in the middle court. Next to my court is a girls varsity game. I'm transitioning from trail to new lead (two man) and looking back at the pack. All of a sudden, a big girl throws a ball in my direction, missing the intended receiver. The ball hits me in the right temple/facial area. I start to fall to the floor and get clipped by the intended receiver who was chasing the errant pass. I try to brace my fall with my dominant left arm. I believed I separated my shoulder and had facial injuries, but finish the half. Luckily my replacement shows up early and I have him replace me at the half, so I could go to the nearest hospital ER. I drove myself to the ER. I found out I had several facial/orbital fractures and a compression fracture of my left elbow. In addition, the ENT who saw me about my face commented that I should have my deviated septum surgically fixed after my facial/orbital fractures healed/popped back into place.

I was done offficiating for the rest of that summer. I had to wear a arm length splint wrapped with ace bandages the rest of the summer. My face turned many colors, but eventually the bones popped back into place. I could not blow my nose or sneeze for a while--when I did, my face with puff out as I blew air through my nose. It was freaky.

BillyMac Wed Feb 10, 2010 06:09pm

1970 Playoffs, I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660042)
You could hobble into gym and pull a Willis Reed getting a thunderous ovation for your gutsy return.

YouTube - 1970: Here Comes Willis

Back In The Saddle Thu Feb 11, 2010 03:06am

Have witnessed or heard about a few unusual, disturbing, and a couple that are just amusing:

This happened during a boys varsity game this year. During a time out one of the home school cheerleaders begins a tumbling pass across the floor not realizing that a visiting school cheerleader is doing the same thing from the opposite direction. They collide at midcourt. The home team cheerleader lands on her head and doesn't get up. She underwent brain surgery the next day. I wasn't there, but have friends that were, including one official on the game. He said it was a little like watching a train wreck, you could see it coming but couldn't do anything to prevent it.

Girls JV game a couple years ago. One of the juniors that also starts varsity, one of their "bigs", is warming up while waiting in the layup line by repeatedly swinging her leg in a broad arc forward and backward, swinging higher each time. She swings it too far forward, pulling herself upward off the ground and flipping her over backwards. She lands on her back and smacks her head on the floor. She's done for the night.

Rural school game, cheerleaders on the sideline opposite the table. No bleachers on that side of the gym, plenty of room for them. But, of course they creep closer and closer to the court. During one transition I wave them back. During the next transition my partner is looking back over his shoulder and clips one of them, sending her spinning across the floor. As she goes skidding across the floor one of the other girls is heard to say, "He told you to move back!" Fortunately she was okay.

Girls JV this year. Held ball, very strongly contested. At the whistle one girl lets go just as the other one makes a very energetic attempt to pull it away from her. The sound of a human skull hitting hardwood is never a pretty one. One of her players begins trying to pull her up, not good. She's on the floor a few more minutes before the trainer helps her up and escorts her out. She doesn't return.

It's been a rough year in the Mountain West Conference for Dave Hall. In one game earlier in the year the crew had to continue without him for a while after, if I recall correctly, and errant pass connected with him. I heard conflicting reports about what happened, but one authoritative sounding report a few days later indicated he'd be caught in the ... ummmm, midsection? Then just a couple weeks ago, at BYU I believe, a camera man collided with Dave during a time out, hitting him in the head with the camera. It was a while before he was ready to continue.

grunewar Thu Feb 11, 2010 06:02am

Absolutely....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 660637)
During a time out one of the home school cheerleaders begins a tumbling pass.....

You've really got to watch those cheerleaders. I know my P's and I have had to duck and cover on a few occasions this yr. A few near misses..... your story sounds bad though BITS.

Full disclosure - I was a cheerleader in college. ;)

PS - BITS - welcome back, where ya been?

Back In The Saddle Thu Feb 11, 2010 06:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 660661)
You've really got to watch those cheerleaders. I know my P's and I have had to duck and cover on a few occasions this yr. A few near misses..... your story sounds bad though BITS.

Full disclosure - I was a cheerleader in college. ;)

PS - BITS - welcome back, where ya been?

Thanks. Work alone has been totally kicking my butt the last couple of months. Add working games on top of that and I haven't had time to breathe, let alone check in here.

I've always been a little wary of the tumblers, though it's pretty amazing to watch them go. But since hearing that story, every time I head to my block (we're back to blocks and arcs for time outs here) I study the cheerleaders, looking for any signs they might start tumbling.

Since I've always assumed you were a guy, I'll just take a big old leap of logic here and assume you were a male cheerleader. P and I tonight noticed that there was exactly one male on a squad of probably 20 cheerleaders. I had two thoughts. First, it's gotta take some guts to be the only guy out there. Second, one guy...19 cute girls...gotta like the odds. :)

grunewar Thu Feb 11, 2010 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 660665)
Thanks. Work alone has been totally kicking my butt the last couple of months. Add working games on top of that and I haven't had time to breathe, let alone check in here.

Well again, welcome back!

Quote:

I've always been a little wary of the tumblers, though it's pretty amazing to watch them go. But since hearing that story, every time I head to my block (we're back to blocks and arcs for time outs here) I study the cheerleaders, looking for any signs they might start tumbling.

Concur, I keep an eye out too. I could tell you some horror stories......

Quote:

Since I've always assumed you were a guy, I'll just take a big old leap of logic here and assume you were a male cheerleader. P and I tonight noticed that there was exactly one male on a squad of probably 20 cheerleaders. I had two thoughts. First, it's gotta take some guts to be the only guy out there. Second, one guy...19 cute girls...gotta like the odds. :)

You "assume" correctly! We had ten cheerleading couples my senior year and it was great fun! ;)

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660110)

Unfortunately that odds were against me last night. I showed up to the gym, sitting in the wheelchair I rented, so I wouldn't be putting too much weight/pressure on my leg. The AD saw me, came right up & stated just cause of me being in the wheelchair, I am not being allowed to work the scorers' table.

Wouldn't give me a chance to explain my idea of me transferring to the regular chair from the wheelchair. The people that ended up doing the shot clock, had no experience whatsoever, except for just being told what to do real quick before the games.

A blatant disregard for Americans with Disability Act!!!

fullor30 Fri Feb 12, 2010 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661245)
Unfortunately that odds were against me last night. I showed up to the gym, sitting in the wheelchair I rented, so I wouldn't be putting too much weight/pressure on my leg. The AD saw me, came right up & stated just cause of me being in the wheelchair, I am not being allowed to work the scorers' table.

Wouldn't give me a chance to explain my idea of me transferring to the regular chair from the wheelchair. The people that ended up doing the shot clock, had no experience whatsoever, except for just being told what to do real quick before the games.

A blatant disregard for Americans with Disability Act!!!

Geesh, why didn't you just use a cane and hobble to table. Way too much drama.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 661255)
Geesh, why didn't you just use a cane and hobble to table. Way too much drama.

The ironic thing is we had to leave early due to my wife having a bout of bronchitis.

When we were moving my wife out to our vehicle the AD saw me get into the vehicle with little assistance & taking the brace off so that I could sit in the vehicle.

The AD asked me what the code was to the shot clock controls as they accidentally got shut off. He really doesn't know the scoreboard & shot clock controls the way you'd think an AD should.

Unfortunately my strength/stamina is not quite up to where I can use a cane to walk around. Currently when walking around with the leg brace on, I am using a walker.

We have Girls' District Playoff game next Thursday, I am going to be sending an e-mail to both the AD & Principal stating my opinion & that they need to have experienced personnel at the table, instead of personnel learning at the last minute like last night.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 03:56pm

Good luck with that.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:09pm

I have a bit of a trump card, especially with the fact that the next game is district playoffs. I mentioned in the e-mail, that I can get around without being the wheelchair, by using a walker. Also, how I am understanding things, when I go in to see the Orthopedic on Monday, I will be getting a hinged brace for my leg instead of the knee immobilizer.

I also mentioned in the e-mail, by previous experience, that it would be a better idea to have personnel at the table that have experience in table operations.

I am hoping push doesn't come to shove where I have to quote federal regualtions.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661288)
I have a bit of a trump card, especially with the fact that the next game is district playoffs. I mentioned in the e-mail, that I can get around without being the wheelchair, by using a walker. Also, how I am understanding things, when I go in to see the Orthopedic on Monday, I will be getting a hinged brace for my leg instead of the knee immobilizer.

I also mentioned in the e-mail, by previous experience, that it would be a better idea to have personnel at the table that have experience in table operations.

I am hoping push doesn't come to shove where I have to quote federal regualtions.

Again, good luck, but keep in mind that ADA doesn't apply if your disability isn't expected to last more than 6 months.
I'm also not sure if it covers volunteer positions. They have to find a way for you to watch the game, I imagine (not sure), but they don't have to accomodate a temporary injury.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661290)
Again, good luck, but keep in mind that ADA doesn't apply if your disability isn't expected to last more than 6 months.
I'm also not sure if it covers volunteer positions. They have to find a way for you to watch the game, I imagine (not sure), but they don't have to accomodate a temporary injury.

Technically however, I am disabled by other means so ADA would still come into effect.

ADA regulations cover both paid & volunteer positions when it comes to work/employment, as well as for spectators/leisure.

I know ADA almost inside & out. Like I mentioned, I am hoping that I don't have to bring it up.

Being that I am getting SSI shows that I have disability also the fact that I have authorization for disabled parking privliges. This happened before the injury.

Technically & legally if a person doing scorebook is confined to a wheelchair due to health, they must be allowed access to the scorers' table.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661295)
Technically however, I am disabled by other means so ADA would still come into effect.

ADA regulations cover both paid & volunteer positions when it comes to work/employment, as well as for spectators/leisure.

I know ADA almost inside & out. Like I mentioned, I am hoping that I don't have to bring it up.

Being that I am getting SSI shows that I have disability also the fact that I have authorization for disabled parking privliges. This happened before the injury.

Technically & legally if a person doing scorebook is confined to a wheelchair due to health, they must be allowed access to the scorers' table.

Fair enough, but if your inability to access it due to health is temporary (defined by 6 months), I think you'd be hard pressed to hold them to making accomodations for you that are, well, temporarily needed. And if you don't normally work in the "big gym" for varsity contests, I wouldn't expect to be able to force them to make accomodations to promote you.

And, FWIW, I'd quickly find a way to replace a shot clock operator/scorer/timer who thought he was indispensible.

Corndog89 Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:57pm

My favorite sports injury..In the 1980's I was coaching rugby at the Air Force Academy. One of the players, a kid named Roger, comes off the field with the lower half of his face covered in blood. The following conversation took place:

Me: What happened, Roger.

Roger: I bit my lip, Coach.

Me: Where's your mouthguard?

Roger: Didn't have it in.

Me (after throwing water in his face and seeing the extent of the damage): You need to go to the hospital and get your lip sewn back on.

Roger: I'll go after the game. Just rip my lip of coach so I can go back in.

Me: What?

Roger: Rip my lip off, Coach.

Me: Okay.

After 2-3 futile attempts to "rip his lip off" (it was very slimy and hard to get hold off...plus I wasn't actually trying, just humoring him)...

Me: It won't come off, Roger. You need to go to the hospital.

Roger: After the game, Coach. Somebody give me a mouthguard.

4-5 players on the sideline toss mouthguards at him and he picks one up and heads back into the game. We had to physically remove him and forcibly take him to the hospital. The kicker... he retired as a Lt Colonel, B-2 pilot. Rugby players...there you go.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661301)
Fair enough, but if your inability to access it due to health is temporary (defined by 6 months), I think you'd be hard pressed to hold them to making accomodations for you that are, well, temporarily needed. And if you don't normally work in the "big gym" for varsity contests, I wouldn't expect to be able to force them to make accomodations to promote you.

And, FWIW, I'd quickly find a way to replace a shot clock operator/scorer/timer who thought he was indispensible.

This was the 1st (& hopefully only) time where I've shown up sitting in a wheelchair. I've been at games before where I've been using a cane.

Generally, my wife & I have been rotating this year doing shot clock for the varsity contests. Since I could not access the scorers' table in the secondary gym (due to actually being up in the bleachers & climbing stairs), my wife was doing scorebaord/timer in the secondary gym. Generally she's only in the main gym doing scoreboard/timer for the JV game. Then she'd move over one seat to do shot clock for Girls' Varsity.

The situation comes in where all the AD saw was the wheelchair, but never asked me if I could be mobile out of the wheelchair.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog89 (Post 661304)
After 2-3 futile attempts to "rip his lip off" (it was very slimy and hard to get hold off...plus I wasn't actually trying, just humoring him)...

I'm thinking I just might skip dinner tonight. Thanks alot.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 661308)
I'm thinking I just might skip dinner tonight. Thanks alot.

I drive by the Academy often; never the same after that story.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:18pm

A person really has to be tough when flying a B-2 Stealth Bomber with Nuclear Payload.

I'm surprised the officials allowed him to continue playing after getting ripped open like he did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog89 (Post 661304)
My favorite sports injury..In the 1980's I was coaching rugby at the Air Force Academy. One of the players, a kid named Roger, comes off the field with the lower half of his face covered in blood. The following conversation took place:

Me: What happened, Roger.

Roger: I bit my lip, Coach.

Me: Where's your mouthguard?

Roger: Didn't have it in.

Me (after throwing water in his face and seeing the extent of the damage): You need to go to the hospital and get your lip sewn back on.

Roger: I'll go after the game. Just rip my lip of coach so I can go back in.

Me: What?

Roger: Rip my lip off, Coach.

Me: Okay.

Me: It won't come off, Roger. You need to go to the hospital.

Roger: After the game, Coach. Somebody give me a mouthguard.

4-5 players on the sideline toss mouthguards at him and he picks one up and heads back into the game. We had to physically remove him and forcibly take him to the hospital. The kicker... he retired as a Lt Colonel, B-2 pilot. Rugby players...there you go.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661310)

And everyone picks on the Marines.... :eek:

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661312)
A person really has to be tough when flying a B-2 Stealth Bomber with Nuclear Payload.

Yep, more so than if they're just carrying a conventional payload.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661313)

Yep. Always will; with respect.

I've known too many pilots to be overly surprised by this story.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661310)

Noticed that guy ended up a B-2 pilot. Wonder how many times the line from Airplane has been actually used: "...roger, Roger."

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661313)

Well technically, there used to be only 2 Armed Forces: Army & Navy.

Air Force used to be the Army Air Corps. The Marines used to be an extension of the Navy.

Now there's 5 Armed Forces: Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines, & Coast Guard.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661315)
Yep. Always will; with respect.

Of course, and as a puke civilian, my respect goes out to all that have served. My grandfather was a career Marine so I have a special place in my heart for them. :)

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661317)

Really? Go on. Tell me more about Tun Tavern.

Quote:

The Marines used to be an extension of the Navy.
Used to be? I bet there are a lot of Sailors and Marines that will be happy to hear that.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661317)

Air Force used to be the Army Air Corps. The Marines used to be an extension of the Navy.

Now there's 5 Armed Forces: Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines, & Coast Guard.

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661322)
Really? Go on. Tell me more about Tun Tavern.

Used to be? I bet there are a lot of Sailors and Marines that will be happy to hear that.

All right, Eagleboy, brief history.
The USAF came out of the Army Air Corps, you're correct.

The Marines, however, are still considered, at the very top, part of the US Navy. Ask any Navy Corpsman, or marine stationed on security detail at a Naval base. Just don't ask them to share a meal together. ;)

Good grief, man, don't you watch NCIS? (I know J.A.G. is before your time).

The Coast Guard is not considered military; they're currently under DHS. Don't let their .mil address or rank structure fool you. They can be militarized if necessary, however.

So, truthfully, we currently have three branches, not five. Just don't tell a marine he's a sailor.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:44pm

Quote:

The Coast Guard is not considered military; they're currently under DHS. Don't let their .mil address or rank structure fool you. They can be militarized if necessary, however.
Just asking from my limited understanding, isn't the Coast Guard considered military (either independent or absorbed into the Navy) while in a warzone?

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661325)
Just asking from my limited understanding, isn't the Coast Guard considered military (either independent or absorbed into the Navy) while in a warzone?

It can be absorbed by the Navy in times of war, but I don't think it's automatic. I'm pretty sure congress or the President have to actively make it happen.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661306)
my wife & I have been rotating this year

I think you're on the wrong discussion board. :eek:

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:56pm

Actually before 9/11 the Coast Guard was a joint operation between the Department of Transportation & the Navy.

After 9/11, it's a joint operation between the Navy & Homeland Security.

My father has a Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal from when he was in the Navy when working on Drug Ops with the Coast Guard.

True USMC still has ties to the Navy, security details at bases & onbaord ships. However they are considered a separate entity now.

What about Judge Advocate General?? It's not before my time. How can the show J.A.G. be before my time when I'm turning 29 in April?

The Coast Guard only operates within US Waters, however it is considered a separate entity from the Navy, although it falls under the Navy's umbrella. It still has a separate command.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661324)
LOL

The Marines, however, are still considered, at the very top, part of the US Navy. Ask any Navy Corpsman, or marine stationed on security detail at a Naval base. Just don't ask them to share a meal together. ;)

So, truthfully, we currently have three branches, not five. Just don't tell a marine he's a sailor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661325)

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661329)
The Coast Guard only operates within US Waters

You may want to ask the Coast Guard what they were doing in Iraq then.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/coastguard/a/uscgwar.htm

Snaqs, gotcha, thanks.

just another ref Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661324)
LOL

But all the branches drive ambulances and talk about farming on their cell phones.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 661327)
I think you're on the wrong discussion board. :eek:

Mark, what I mean is that normally I'm in the secondary gym doing the JV & C-Squad game as scorebaord/timer. My wife does either scoreboard/timer or shot clock for JV, then does shot clock for Grils' Varsity in the main gym. However normally, she takes a break for Boys' Varsity & I do the shot clock for Boys' Varsity.

However since I was unable to access the secondary gym scorers' table due to it's location, my wife was doing scoreboard/timer there.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 661329)
Actually before 9/11 the Coast Guard was a joint operation between the Department of Transportation & the Navy.

After 9/11, it's a joint operation between the Navy & Homeland Security.

My father has a Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal from when he was in the Navy when working on Drug Ops with the Coast Guard.

True USMC still has ties to the Navy, security details at bases & onbaord ships. However they are considered a separate entity now.

What about Judge Advocate General?? It's not before my time. How can the show J.A.G. be before my time when I'm turning 29 in April?

The Coast Guard only operates within US Waters, however it is considered a separate entity from the Navy, although it falls under the Navy's umbrella. It still has a separate command.

I should clarify, I'm defining military as under the direction of the Department of Defense. It only goes under the DOD (Dept of the Navy) when congress or the president so directs.

Could you tell me when the Marine Corps became it's own entity separate from the Department of the Navy? Has the Naval Academy stopped providing Marine officers?

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661330)

I missed that little tidbit, they have jurisdiction in both US and international waters.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661334)
I missed that little tidbit, they have jurisdiction in both US and international waters.

Understood. I was responding to FlyLikeanEagle's assertation that they only operated in US waters.

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661336)
Understood. I was responding to FlyLikeanEagle's assertation that they only operated in US waters.

Yeah, so was I; I neglected to quote him rather than just your response.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661338)
Yeah, so was I; I neglected to quote him rather than just your response.

Got it. I know see that you were referring to the original quotation of which I was referring to and not solely to my sentence, asserting that the Coast Guard was in Iraq.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661330)

Coast Guard is Active Player in Iraq War

Snaqs, gotcha, thanks.

Joint Operations, just like really what is the Coast Guard doing down in Colombia?

Running joint operations with the Navy.

The US Waters is by themselves or in joint operations.

The Coast Guard has the smaller vessels designed to be closer into shore.

Being that deployed to Iraq, possibly assisting with deterring gun-runners or other shallow water operations.

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:24pm

Didn't read the article I see. You didn't say anything about joint operations or otherwise. You simply said they only operate in US waters, which is not true. That's all I was responding to but please carry on carrying on.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:37pm

United States Marine Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, according to all sources, the Marines are part of the Navy, however the Marine Corps has a slightly different Command Structure than the Navy.

United States Coast Guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the Wikipedia article, the Coast Guard has Law Enforcement duties that neither the Army or Navy can act upon.

United States armed forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link above gives a bit more detailed break down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661333)
I should clarify, I'm defining military as under the direction of the Department of Defense. It only goes under the DOD (Dept of the Navy) when congress or the president so directs.

Could you tell me when the Marine Corps became it's own entity separate from the Department of the Navy? Has the Naval Academy stopped providing Marine officers?

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:38pm

Can you dig up something on the Air Force for Snaqs? I hear the planes really fascinate him.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661349)
Can you dig up something on the Air Force for Snaqs? I hear the planes really fascinate him.

Which plane?

The JTF project?

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 06:56pm

Big ones, like the Spruce Goose.

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661352)

You mean like a C-130 or C-17?

C-130 Hercules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-130J Super Hercules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-17 Globemaster III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welpe Fri Feb 12, 2010 07:04pm

Maybe more along this size:

Star Destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adam Fri Feb 12, 2010 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661352)

Dude, you're killing me here. I was about to come in and ask TheEagle who the Secretary of the Marine Corps is, but I see he's seen the light.

Lastly, the CG operations along the US coast are not restricted to US waters.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 12, 2010 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661333)

So, for those that think the US spends too much money on the military, we should just move a couple of the branches under the Social Security Administration or the Department of Education? :p

Would that make them non-military?

chseagle Fri Feb 12, 2010 09:27pm

Back to Original Topic:

In any sport, there's always a chance of an injury happening. Even in bowling or pool/billards.

I received an e-mail response back from the princiapl. The response was that the decisions rest on who works the table with the AD. However, the principal was pleased with the fact that I caught some mistakes that the shot clock operator had.