The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Did you check to see if the ambulance people were on their cell phones the whole way to the hospital?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The scorer wouldn't be able move that easily considering her age. She don't go chasing balls. At the time she was out in the foyer.

Chasing parked cars?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the OP question,

strangest injury I've seen, short girl is gathering to go up for the shot having beaten the defense. Tall defender curls in behind and reaches over shooter to try to block the ball. Shooter went up, defender was swinging down, shooter's head hit defender's arm, neck bent back, girl went down. She had to be taken out on a backboard with the head and neck immobilized. Later learned that it wasn't too serious, but she was out for the season.

Yes, I called a foul, intentional (excessive contact, with no real chance to play the ball). Coach wanted flagrant, of course, but no way could I justtify that. It was bad, but just stupid, no attitude at all.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I was playing, player trying to steal 2nd on our catcher. He slides in at just the wrong angle and gets tagged in the marbles by the throw.

Sorry, no freakish injuries while reffing. I did have a couple girls knock themselves silly when they cracked heads going for a loose ball. No foul, both had equal advantage and opportunity.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had one the other night that was interesting.

A1 coming up the court and crosses the division line. B1 is covering very closely.....too closely.

A1 performs a nice cross over dribble (from his right to left) above the top of the key. B1 reaches across his body with his left arm and A1 keeps on going strong down toward the free throw line and BAM. TWEET!

As I report the foul, B1 is heading toward the bench in pain. He apparently reached so far across his body and was hit so hard he hurt his left arm.

Maybe that will teach him not to do that.......ok, probably not!
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:06pm
In Time Out

cool story but off-topic speaking of random injuries. check out the former Mayor of Vancouver, BC who helped get the Olympics there. Nytimes sports front story today. He is a quadriplegic because he tried to ski between his friend's legs when he was 19. long recovery but became a mayor.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

wasn't reffing, but watched a player durring warm-ups compound fracture his leg between the knee and ankle. Thank goodness he had on high socks or we all would have seen his bones. was not pretty anyway.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Did you check to see if the ambulance people were on their cell phones the whole way to the hospital?
The only ones I know of that was on cell phone was in back with me, but they were on phone for ambulance business. If I remember right, the driver doesn't have a cell phone.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

The Eagle has landed...

Might I suggest to the school that they should supply a bubble wrap suit for the remainder of the season.

I would recommend that the CHS adminstration begin an immediate search for your replacement. There should be various hand-eye coordination testing, gum chewing-walking testing, and a battery of test that include staying off the court and out of the way of the proper administration of all basketball contests.

If I were you, I would consider this injury a sign that basketball is not your calling. I would also suggest you find a sport with less chances for injury to a shot clock operator....tiddley winks (sharp sticks - NO!), how about chess clock operator?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

I had teammates hi/low a member of thier own team causing her to land on her head/neck and needed to be taken away on a backboard. Don't ask me how 3 defenders would all go for a long court length pass and not see each other, but it did. One took out her legs and the other hit her in the head/shoulders. Landed with such a thud. Not a nice thing to witness, but she only missed a week or two with a concussion and then played.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Might I suggest to the school that they should supply a bubble wrap suit for the remainder of the season.

I would recommend that the CHS adminstration begin an immediate search for your replacement. There should be various hand-eye coordination testing, gum chewing-walking testing, and a battery of test that include staying off the court and out of the way of the proper administration of all basketball contests.

If I were you, I would consider this injury a sign that basketball is not your calling. I would also suggest you find a sport with less chances for injury to a shot clock operator....tiddley winks (sharp sticks - NO!), how about chess clock operator?
there's only one more regular season game, that's on February 11. Like I mentioned in an ealier posting, the odds of this happening to anyone is like 1:1000.

They have been training another person to do shot clock operations.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Chasing the ball is the scorer's job.
That was funny. Good one, Bob...
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:06pm
Official & Member

Not really odd, but kinda scary. Girls middle school three years ago. Two players dive for loose ball and bonk heads. Both get up. One seems a little more dazed than the other and comes out of the game, rubbing her head and giggling from embarassment. Five minutes later, she collapses on the sideline. Game stopped. Ambulance called. EMT's arrive and immobilize her head/neck as a precaution because it is a head injury and she is AIRLIFTED out of the parking lot by a medical chopper to the closest hospital with level 1 trauma unit. Game continued after a half hour delay.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 12:09pm.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Does taking out a cheerleader count?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Partner went to retrieve a ball that went OB at the corner of the end line and sideline and bounced near the end of the bleachers (small gym). He went to administer throw-in, and his arm was bleeding like a stuck pig. When he had grabbed the ball near the bleachers, his arm caught a piece of the metal bleachers. Plius, he now has blood on his shirt. Trainer patched up the arm, he did not have a spare shirt, my spare was too small. We finished game with him wearing a white T shirt.