The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I hear ya!

Locdog - I was in a similar situation a few weeks back and did have someone become injured, although probably a minor ankle twist.

Another Small Gym Story

I also asked for opinions on the Forum.

BOTTOM LINE: Gym was there before your game and it will be there when you're gone. Hundreds of officials and players have been there before and will be there again.

Does that make it any better? No.

I reported it to my Association, have a clear conscience, and am done with it. Let the school, administrators, parents, etc. worry about it. If it's safe enough for them every day, who am I to say otherwise?

But, I still don't like it.

GIGDGO and if I never go back there, it'll be fine too.

Off soapbox.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
I just transfered into the area in October, so I had to spend the first half of the season doing JV ball and getting my evaluations in. This half he's got me between big school girls V and small school boys V. He has been out to see me the second half, so I'm hoping to get the big school boys next year.
The walls are that close in each of the 4 corners, for about a foot-foot and a half. The "bleachers" consist of rows of folding chairs, all on the same level as the playing court. Must be why so many people stood along the back wall, you could get a better view.
I wouldn't mind going to Vernonia, cause I sure could use some free hams......
Wow - maybe I'm totally off and not thinking of the same gym you're describing. I apologize if I am confused.

Howard is the most fair man on the planet, in my opinion. Him seeing you is the best thing that can happen. If you are Varsity worthy, he will give you the games. I am anxious to hear from my old buddies there how things change when he retires. It's going to be interesting for sure.

Are you working westside, eastside, or both? You'll only get to Vernonia if you're on the westside. I could have rented an apartment in Gaston I went there so much. Hated Gaston. Anyway, best of luck. I'm sure no one else gives a crap about Portland basketball except the few people on this site who work there. Howard will take care of you - he is the best.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

LocDog - check your PM
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Wow - maybe I'm totally off and not thinking of the same gym you're describing. I apologize if I am confused.

Howard is the most fair man on the planet, in my opinion. Him seeing you is the best thing that can happen. If you are Varsity worthy, he will give you the games. I am anxious to hear from my old buddies there how things change when he retires. It's going to be interesting for sure.

Are you working westside, eastside, or both? You'll only get to Vernonia if you're on the westside. I could have rented an apartment in Gaston I went there so much. Hated Gaston. Anyway, best of luck. I'm sure no one else gives a crap about Portland basketball except the few people on this site who work there. Howard will take care of you - he is the best.
Yeah, I've got nothing but good things to say about Howard so far. If he gets re-elected (which I see happening in a landslide) he says he will retire after this next term is up. Right now I'm working both sides, but since I live almost in Gresham, I doubt he'll send me to Vernonia. I'll more than likely end up in Corbett.....
NP getting the gyms mixed up, if you ask me what the gym Friday before last was like, I would have no idea. I can't remember gyms at all, but I'm sure this one will stick with me for a while.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Locdog - I was in a similar situation a few weeks back and did have someone become injured, although probably a minor ankle twist.

Another Small Gym Story

I also asked for opinions on the Forum.

BOTTOM LINE: Gym was there before your game and it will be there when you're gone. Hundreds of officials and players have been there before and will be there again.

Does that make it any better? No.

I reported it to my Association, have a clear conscience, and am done with it. Let the school, administrators, parents, etc. worry about it. If it's safe enough for them every day, who am I to say otherwise?

But, I still don't like it.

GIGDGO and if I never go back there, it'll be fine too.

Off soapbox.
I just read through your thread, and that sounds like quite the gym too. I did like the piece on the clock.
Reading about the kid that got hurt reminded me of when I was sure a kid was going to get hurt..... He was chasing a guy on a fastbreak, blocked the shot and crashed into what I thought was a padded wall. Turns out the padding was hanging over a doorway too, and he ended up in the doorway behind the padding.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well, one night in Vernonia, the raffle prize was a half a hog.
Front or back half?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Front or back half?

I can only imagine. I was wondering what one does with a half a hog, but apparently it was a big hit there. I did not buy a raffle ticket as we are told we can't - how great would it be if one of the refs won the raffle and the home team won on a controversial call?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can only imagine. I was wondering what one does with a half a hog, but apparently it was a big hit there. I did not buy a raffle ticket as we are told we can't - how great would it be if one of the refs won the raffle and the home team won on a controversial call?
I'd like to meet the ref who has room for half a hog in their gym bag...... er, maybe I wouldn't.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

My Uncle lives in Vernonia. stayed with him when I reff the end of trail tournament this summer. Didn't see the inside of the gym but saw the out side. Quiet little town. Had a good time reffing in the Porland area. Hope to do it again.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Vernonia gym is one of my favorites. I loved going there because it was just a cool little town that hasn't seemed to progress from the 50's. Nothing to do there so everyone watches the games on Friday nights. But the gym is tiny and the endlines give you no room at all.

Side note - my favorite non-basketball moment happened in Vernonia. Lots of schools have a raffle where you win some cash prize or something at halftime for having the winning ticket. Well, one night in Vernonia, the raffle prize was a half a hog. I knew I wasn't in the big city anymore...
Vernonia is better since the building had to be gutted after the flood - protruding arch on the stage is gone, so now there is at least room on that end - other end is still tight, but workable. I agree, it's a great atmosphere!.

Westside does take a little getting used to. The main thing is be safe and don't hesitate to be proactive. When I've work there, I let the coaches know that if the action gets too close in the corners and looks in any way unsafe, we'll stop play and resume with a POI throw-in.

There's another small private HS gym in Milwaukie that's very tight. One end line is only 18" from the wall, there's virtually no clearance between the table and team benches on one sideline, aluminum bleachers on opposite side line come right up to the line.......only the one end line has at least 3 foot clearance.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another side note - I believe I worked a game at Westside Christian with our own Camron Rust. It was fairly uneventful, but I do recall not being a big fan of the changing room.
Quote:
I don't recall the walls being that close - there are "bleachers" on the side opposite the "table", aren't there? Maybe I'm mixing up 2 different gyms.

I think you're mixing up two gyms. We worked at Horizon Christian a couple years ago.

What you're describing sounds like Horizon Christian. Westside has a "floating floor" that is laid on top of the carpet/concrete or whatever is under it...not a standard floor. The seating opposite the table at Westside is chairs....the area is basically the sanctuary for the church. They either take up the floor or lay something over it for Sunday.

Quote:
Anyway, there are more joys that will await you. The Vernonia gym is one of my favorites. I loved going there because it was just a cool little town that hasn't seemed to progress from the 50's. Nothing to do there so everyone watches the games on Friday nights. But the gym is tiny and the endlines give you no room at all.
Not any more. Vernonia flooded a couple years ago (maybe it was last year)...3' of mud in the gym, floor looked like a roller coaster when it was cleared. They tore down most of the school and rebuilt it on higher ground after 2nd "100-year" flood in must 10 years. The did keep the gym after replacing the floors. In doing so, they reset the baskets to be further from the ends. You're no longer sitting on the edge of the stage when you're lead or against the wall with your toes inboucds on the other end. The court is just shorter now....not much running no matter the style of play.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Heard Of Going Half Hog ???

Quote:
The raffle prize was a half a hog.
I thought the idiom was, "Go whole hog"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you working westside, eastside, or both? You'll only get to Vernonia if you're on the westside. I could have rented an apartment in Gaston I went there so much. Hated Gaston.
I work softball in Portland. I got sent to Gaston once two years ago for a doubleheader. It rained and the original home team's field (on the east side) was unplayable, so they wanted to play at Gaston instead. Nice field, good team, but not really a direct way there from anywhere.

As in basketball, we have games in Vernonia. The commissioner tries not to send the same people out there game after game.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think you're mixing up two gyms. We worked at Horizon Christian a couple years ago.

What you're describing sounds like Horizon Christian. Westside has a "floating floor" that is laid on top of the carpet/concrete or whatever is under it...not a standard floor. The seating opposite the table at Westside is chairs....the area is basically the sanctuary for the church. They either take up the floor or lay something over it for Sunday.

Not any more. Vernonia flooded a couple years ago (maybe it was last year)...3' of mud in the gym, floor looked like a roller coaster when it was cleared. They tore down most of the school and rebuilt it on higher ground after 2nd "100-year" flood in must 10 years. The did keep the gym after replacing the floors. In doing so, they reset the baskets to be further from the ends. You're no longer sitting on the edge of the stage when you're lead or against the wall with your toes inboucds on the other end. The court is just shorter now....not much running no matter the style of play.
Well I got about zero percent of everything right.

Oh well, I miss a lot of the quirks of the Portland area towns. I haven't seen any of that around here yet. But the basketball is a whole lot better here, so I'll take that. And 3-man - hallelujah for 3-man.