The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

letting go of a "bad game"...

2nd year official, had what I thought was a bad game last night (not level or quality of game, but I felt like I stunk it up). Blowout game from the start, felt a step behind all night, jumped a few calls, felt way late on some, some I know I missed, and I didn't feel I was as focused in 2nd half.

R had lots of encouragement afterward. Told me what to work on, but gave lots of encouragement afterwards, even thought I felt like I did a horrible job.

I know you're never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are, how do you "let go" of a game where you felt like you officiated terribly?

And what do you do to try and maintain focus in blowouts?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post

1) I know you're never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are, how do you "let go" of a game where you felt like you officiated terribly?

2) And what do you do to try and maintain focus in blowouts?
1) Review the game in your mind to see if anything happened that you might learn from. Sometimes "bad" can be "good". And if that doesn't do it, 2 brownpops should....

2) Remind yourself that there might be an evaluator in the crowd taking a look at you(and there might).
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) 2) Remind yourself that there might be an evaluator in the crowd taking a look at you(and there might).
Great lesson someone told me. You're never going to know who is in the stands watching you!

Not just an evaluator, but coaches from other schools, other referees who has a son or daughter playing, etc.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

List 4-5 things you think you did poorly and concentrate on working on those things in your next game.

Other than that, a couple drinks and a good night sleep should help.

Or you could shovel everybody's driveway this weekend.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
List 4-5 things you think you did poorly and concentrate on working on those things in your next game.

Other than that, a couple drinks and a good night sleep should help.

Or you could shovel everybody's driveway this weekend.
Thanks for the info! But I think I'll pass on shoveling

Never seen so much snow in Va Beach, and I've been here since '98!
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info! But I think I'll pass on shoveling

Never seen so much snow in Va Beach, and I've been here since '98!
Send me a pm and I'll share what works for me.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2nd year official, had what I thought was a bad game last night (not level or quality of game, but I felt like I stunk it up). Blowout game from the start, felt a step behind all night, jumped a few calls, felt way late on some, some I know I missed, and I didn't feel I was as focused in 2nd half.

R had lots of encouragement afterward. Told me what to work on, but gave lots of encouragement afterwards, even thought I felt like I did a horrible job.

I know you're never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are, how do you "let go" of a game where you felt like you officiated terribly?

And what do you do to try and maintain focus in blowouts?
I try and break games like this into small segments. For the next 5 minutes, I'm going really try and not ballwatch, or get into better position, improve angles, crisper mechanics, stuff like that. You may want to try a new variation of a foul call that you saw someone do. I admit it's tough sometimes with blowouts or if you do 4-5 game sets of kids games to stay focused.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

It always takes me working another game to get a previously bad one out of my head.

As far as when its a blow out I agree with above poster, I focus on my mechanics. Go nice and slow make them perfect!~~
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:44am
Do not give a damn!!

I try to let go of the last call, not just the last game. The bottom line is you cannot pat yourself on the back too long when you do well and you cannot destroy yourself when make a mistake. We are all human and we will not do everything perfect all the time.

I think it is all about your attitude and all about your approach to the game. The more you study the rules; mechanics and try to apply them will give you confidence. Then at some point most of what you will do will be second nature and when you make a mistake you will not be derailed.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, i appreicate it! Feb. schedule is out, and i'm looking forward to the first game on Wed!!
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

A bit off topic

Quote:
... felt way late on some, some I know I missed, and I didn't feel I was as focused in 2nd half...
So many things factor into your energy and concentration levels.

I drink an UpShot or 5-Hour Energy drink about 2 hours before each tip and it seems to help. At least I think it does