The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:18pm
SAK SAK is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 284
Situation posed

This did not happen in my game however the question was posed and I didn't know what the correct response was.

Team B is in the double bonus. A1 fouls B1. While B1 is on the foul line with the ball the table informs the table side official that A1 has committed his 5th foul. Officials do nothing. Officials don't inform the player or coach before the 2nd free throw. B1 makes/misses free throw, does not really matter. A few trips up and down the floor, points are scored and time runs off the clock. A1 committed another foul, his 6th. Officials are informed that A1 has committed 6 fouls and has already fouled out when he committed his 5th. (no special rules allowing players 6 fouls, players are only aloud the standard 5.)

What do you do besides informing coach and player that he fouled out? The official book keeper did his job by informing the officials after the 5th foul.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Get player out of game and make a mental note he only gets four for next outing. Not correctable.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:22pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
You wait for a sub and keep playing. After the game, you report the official that didn't do anything even though he or she was notified and hope you don't have to work with them anymore.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
This did not happen in my game however the question was posed and I didn't know what the correct response was.

Team B is in the double bonus. A1 fouls B1. While B1 is on the foul line with the ball the table informs the table side official that A1 has committed his 5th foul. Officials do nothing. Officials don't inform the player or coach before the 2nd free throw. B1 makes/misses free throw, does not really matter. A few trips up and down the floor, points are scored and time runs off the clock. A1 committed another foul, his 6th. Officials are informed that A1 has committed 6 fouls and has already fouled out when he committed his 5th. (no special rules allowing players 6 fouls, players are only aloud the standard 5.)

What do you do besides informing coach and player that he fouled out? The official book keeper did his job by informing the officials after the 5th foul.
All play stands. The player is not DQ'd until the coach is notified.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:38pm
SAK SAK is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 284
That was what I thought however the same partner who overturned my call on my "shame one me/partner" post told me that I got that one wrong as well. Again this situation was not on my game but his response to me was that "you better hit the rule book again." Some people just think that they know it all, and in reality don't. I guess he better get in the rule book again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
All play stands. The player is not DQ'd until the coach is notified.
Bob, by rule, would you stop play if suddenly light bulb went off that player has six or wait for dead ball? I'm thinking specifically if opposing team had an advantage on breakaway or similar situation.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Bob, by rule, would you stop play if suddenly light bulb went off that player has six or wait for dead ball? I'm thinking specifically if opposing team had an advantage on breakaway or similar situation.
I'm waiting until the fouler's team has the ball or there's a break in action (similar to an injury situation). I think the casebook has a situation where the table realized they should have informed the officials of the 5th foul, and they are to wait until the ball is possessed by the (should-be) disqualified player's team before immediately hitting the horn.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I'm waiting until the fouler's team has the ball or there's a break in action (similar to an injury situation). I think the casebook has a situation where the table realized they should have informed the officials of the 5th foul, and they are to wait until the ball is possessed by the (should-be) disqualified player's team before immediately hitting the horn.
And I said that without even moving my lips.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I'm waiting until the fouler's team has the ball or there's a break in action (similar to an injury situation). I think the casebook has a situation where the table realized they should have informed the officials of the 5th foul, and they are to wait until the ball is possessed by the (should-be) disqualified player's team before immediately hitting the horn.
That's what I thought, but wanted 'official' word. Makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:54pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
That was what I thought however the same partner who overturned my call on my "shame one me/partner" post told me that I got that one wrong as well. Again this situation was not on my game but his response to me was that "you better hit the rule book again." Some people just think that they know it all, and in reality don't. I guess he better get in the rule book again.
Next time, pull out a rule book and ask him to show you so you can be enlightened. I'm assuming you don't have the option of not working with this clown.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:11pm
SAK SAK is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Next time, pull out a rule book and ask him to show you so you can be enlightened. I'm assuming you don't have the option of not working with this clown.
I feel like I am a good official but I lack confidence sometimes. I also feel like I am low man on the totem pole with this assignor as I was just picked up this year and the guy I was working with has been working with the assignor from the start, only about 2 yrs. I need to gain more confidence as I have a good idea of what I am doing (by good idea I mean that I basically know but from time to time could use a few pointers. Likely just the way everyone else is and that is why we frequent this page.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:13pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
I understand. I'd feel out the association a bit longer before you start blocking partners. Now you know this guy is just a GIGDGO partner.

Did he bother to tell you the right procedure?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:15pm
SAK SAK is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I understand. I'd feel out the association a bit longer before you start blocking partners. Now you know this guy is just a GIGDGO partner.

Did he bother to tell you the right procedure?
He did not bother to tell me the right procedure. I would only guess that is because he didn't know it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:30pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
He did not bother to tell me the right procedure. I would only guess that is because he didn't know it.
So this guy is just an a$$. My guess is your new assigner is seeing how you deal with him (professional is good).
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
I feel like I am a good official but I lack confidence sometimes. I also feel like I am low man on the totem pole with this assignor as I was just picked up this year and the guy I was working with has been working with the assignor from the start, only about 2 yrs. I need to gain more confidence as I have a good idea of what I am doing (by good idea I mean that I basically know but from time to time could use a few pointers. Likely just the way everyone else is and that is why we frequent this page.)
I'd tell him what a pompous *** he is, read him the correct ruling and tell everybody within the association that he blew it.

Of course the above is what you'd like to do. I'd respectfully tell him that the situation got you thinking and you looked it up trying to learn from it and you thought you'd share it with him how you understand it. If he blows you off, drop it. He knows he's wrong, but not big enough to admit it.

I made a bet with a state final guy in my early years over a situation which we differed on and I was correct. Next time I saw him he paid up, which I didn't care about, but he insisted. Said alot about him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad situation. Jerry Blum Basketball 14 Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:46am
Sub situation cowbyfan1 Basketball 5 Wed Dec 14, 2005 02:18am
Question posed by NCAA official RookieDude Basketball 8 Tue Dec 13, 2005 07:17am
FT Situation williebfree Basketball 4 Wed Jan 29, 2003 07:54am
Another HBP situation Buckeye12 Baseball 2 Wed Apr 17, 2002 01:41pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1