The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question players are properly equipped "physically"?

Boy's JH/Fresh tonight. 3 games, all went pretty well.

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.
A broken bone is a fracture.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Did chseage get his referee card?

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist.
What do you think fractured means?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What do you think fractured means?
more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.
A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.
Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.
Ah yes, I was wrong. My mom, a nurse, called me to ask about that player and I told her what happened. She corrected me.

P.S. I will listen and learn when we talk rules and plays on an officiating site. I don't know who on here might be a doctor, nurse, or somehow related to the medical field.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.
That's what my mom said (the nurse in previously post), that it couldn't have been a fracture, but most likely a sprain if everything.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.
What would be an unofficial varsity game?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
What would be an unofficial varsity game?
Anything that doesn't go in the record books. Like summer league games, summer tournaments, etc.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
And with the way you constantly harp on people, I'm glad I don't have to work with you as a partner, either. Sheesh.