The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Question players are properly equipped "physically"?

Boy's JH/Fresh tonight. 3 games, all went pretty well.

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.
A broken bone is a fracture.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 710
Did chseage get his referee card?
__________________
"I'll talk to the organ grinder, but NOT the monkey."

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:30pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Boy's JH/Fresh tonight. 3 games, all went pretty well.

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist.
What do you think fractured means?
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What do you think fractured means?
more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.
A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.
Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:00am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.
Ah yes, I was wrong. My mom, a nurse, called me to ask about that player and I told her what happened. She corrected me.

P.S. I will listen and learn when we talk rules and plays on an officiating site. I don't know who on here might be a doctor, nurse, or somehow related to the medical field.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.
That's what my mom said (the nurse in previously post), that it couldn't have been a fracture, but most likely a sprain if everything.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Boy's JH/Fresh tonight. 3 games, all went pretty well.

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.
What would be an unofficial varsity game?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
What would be an unofficial varsity game?
Anything that doesn't go in the record books. Like summer league games, summer tournaments, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.
And with the way you constantly harp on people, I'm glad I don't have to work with you as a partner, either. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Properly Equipped harmbu Baseball 37 Fri Aug 05, 2011 07:23am
Properly noting a "benched" defensive player wadeintothem Softball 28 Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:05pm
ABC's "Nightline" examines "worst calls ever" tonight pizanno Basketball 27 Fri Jul 04, 2008 06:08am
Way Too Many "Players" Warming Up BillyMac Basketball 140 Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:35pm
Coachs displaying players "injuries" NathanRT Basketball 12 Wed Jan 17, 2007 05:35pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1