The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   players are properly equipped "physically"? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56764-players-properly-equipped-physically.html)

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:00pm

players are properly equipped "physically"?

Boy's JH/Fresh tonight. 3 games, all went pretty well.

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". :confused: As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656125)
That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist. He did pretty well tonight.

A broken bone is a fracture. :rolleyes:

Ignats75 Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:22pm

Did chseage get his referee card?

just another ref Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:30pm

Quote:

That player who "broke his wrist" actually played in the freshmen game, so I doubt he actually broke his wrist. At worst, he may have fractured something since his arm and wrist was taped up in two different locations, but no way he'd be playing with a broken wrist.

What do you think fractured means?

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 656147)
What do you think fractured means?

more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.

zm1283 Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656153)
more of a crack in the bone rather than fully broken.

A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.

representing Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 656157)
A crack in the bone means it is fractured/broken.

Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:00am

"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.

Smitty Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 656158)
Medically spoken, though, from what I know (and I could be wrong), doctors only say broken when it is nearly broken all the way through the bone.

When someone told me the player broke his wrist I was imagining the x-ray showing a split or near-split in a bone or two. The way he played with that hand tonight, it was probably just a hair-line fractured or something like that. No cast or brace on his wrist, just taped below the wrist and close to the elbow (two different taped locations).

(I watch too much of the Discovery Health channel evidently)

The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 656268)
The chip on your shoulder is showing again. You think you know everything about everything and when people correct you, rather than humbly listen and learn you get argumentative. I am really glad I don't have to work with you as a partner.

Ah yes, I was wrong. My mom, a nurse, called me to ask about that player and I told her what happened. She corrected me.

P.S. I will listen and learn when we talk rules and plays on an officiating site. I don't know who on here might be a doctor, nurse, or somehow related to the medical field.;)

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656205)
"Fractured" equals "broken" and it's that way every time I hear it. Now, sometimes they specify "hairline fracture," which is different than a "standard" fracture.

I wouldn't expect a middle school player to be playing with even a hairline fracture, though. If he was playing, I doubt it was fractured. Most likely, it was a sprain.

How did you hear it was "broken?" It seems they were trying to make you feel worse about it.

That's what my mom said (the nurse in previously post), that it couldn't have been a fracture, but most likely a sprain if everything.

fullor30 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42am

Quote:

7th and 8th grade game went pretty smoothly with home team killing the visitors pretty badly scorewise.

Here's the funny for tonight. Freshmen game, I asked both coaches if their players were properly equipped, and the visiting coach said "physically yes". :confused: As oppose to what, mentally? Spiritually?

Not much was said by either coach, fans were pretty quiet which was surprising for neighboring school districts.

I wish all games were like tonight. Now I got to get mentally prepared for my first official varsity game tomorrow.

What would be an unofficial varsity game?

representing Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 656350)
What would be an unofficial varsity game?

Anything that doesn't go in the record books. Like summer league games, summer tournaments, etc.

fiasco Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 656268)

And with the way you constantly harp on people, I'm glad I don't have to work with you as a partner, either. Sheesh.