The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 08:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Overturning an OOB call

Working with my regular and favorite partner last night. 2-person, BV, the kind of game I'd take every day of the week.

We had an out of bounds call on the endline that my partner just missed. It was in my primary and he missed a tip. I was 100% sure he missed it, so I immediately hit the whistle "tweet, tweet, tweet" and went in to tell him what happened.

Instead, once I got to him, he simply blew his whistle and pointed the other way. I never said a word.

Frankly, it was just perfect. Why else would I come in? If I bothered coming in (and I've only done it twice this season) he knows why.

Night off. I think I may spend it going to a college basketball game.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a great partnership. I appreciate it, if I get it wrong, that one of my partners comes in and we get it right, and vice versa.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

My partner and I have gotten in the habit of pointing on an OOB and making eye contact for this reason. We've seen many officials that will whistle, be very quick in verbalizing a color and pointing.

Then, when you have a situation as described in the OP there is always more consternation if you change the call. If you just point and make eye contact with partner and make a change in direction without the immediate verbalization - you have far fewer problems.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Working 2-person, there's always a ball or two that shoots out on a sideline (or something) when the L is looking in at post play, etc.

My partner and I use body language all the time. If it goes out and I start up the floor, my partner (if he needs help) only needs to look at me and see me "going the other way" and knows to "go the other way." Likewise, if the ball is staying at the same end, I'll take a step or two towards that endline.

Subtle communication, but it gets used at least once or twice a game. I'd rather keep my eyes in the post, etc. and need help on these occasionally.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The way we like to handle this situation is for the offiicial who is going to come and provide additional information to the calling official DOES NOT blow his whistle while coming to the calling official. If he blows his whistle he is drawing the attention of everyone in the gym to him, which makes it more difficult for the calling official to keep his own call IF HE MADE THE CALL FOR A REASON.

The calling official may have passed on a foul or some other action and awarded the ball to a team on purpose. We like to have the noncalling official come toward the calling official. If the calling official did what he did for a specific reason he will give the other official the stop sign, which turns that official around and returns him to his position. If the calling official allows the noncalling official to come to him, the call will almost always be changed BY THE CALLING OFFICIAL after receiving information he did not have or did not see.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle View Post
The way we like to handle this situation is for the offiicial who is going to come and provide additional information to the calling official DOES NOT blow his whistle while coming to the calling official. If he blows his whistle he is drawing the attention of everyone in the gym to him, which makes it more difficult for the calling official to keep his own call IF HE MADE THE CALL FOR A REASON.

The calling official may have passed on a foul or some other action and awarded the ball to a team on purpose. We like to have the noncalling official come toward the calling official. If the calling official did what he did for a specific reason he will give the other official the stop sign, which turns that official around and returns him to his position. If the calling official allows the noncalling official to come to him, the call will almost always be changed BY THE CALLING OFFICIAL after receiving information he did not have or did not see.
Eh, I'm not fond of this. To each his own, I guess.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Working 2-person, there's always a ball or two that shoots out on a sideline (or something) when the L is looking in at post play, etc.
This has happened to me several times this year, so I've included this specific tidbit in my pregame and it's helped out a lot (with the partners who actually listen during pre-game ).
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Pregame ...

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If you don't know, give me
a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you
saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

About two years ago, I had a partner come over to change my OOB call because he thought the ball "touched a player's shoelace" before going out.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He Moonlights As A Middle School Cafeteria Monitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
About two years ago, I had a partner come over to change my OOB call because he thought the ball "touched a player's shoelace" before going out.
I think I know him, Old Eagle Eye.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I had one last night. I was L with the ball going out on the end line. Tweet "white" when I heard another whistle and my partner at T was slapping his hand. Then I blew and pointing the other direction "Blue!"

I watched the video and he was right, but that wasn't something we pre-gamed and although I prefer to get it right above all else, I also would prefer he/she come to me just in case I passed on a foul (in this case there wasn't anything to pass on).
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

On the subject of overturning OOB calls....

I was watching a D1 game in person a couple of weeks ago and John Higgins was one of the officials in the game. He was the C at the time and the ball went out right under the basket on the endline. The L pointed the other direction, which was the direction of the Visitors. Everyone in the arena knew the Visitors were the last to touch, except the L. Higgins came in strong with a whistle and just changed it himself. Didn't give info and let the L decide, just changed it. I'm assuming they pre-gamed it that way. Just interesting to see the difference in mechanics between those guys and the rest of us.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I usually just go to my partner and say something like, "Did you see the ball Hit blues foot/arm/head/crotch" Its up to him/her to decide if he wants to change the call.

Several times my partners have had such good looks all the way down the endline (2 person) and not changed their calls. All I tell coaches if they try and get on me, "Coach, you should have this discussion with my partner. I will make sure and tell him you want a word with him at my earliest convienience."

I wont ever sell a partner up a river without a paddle, but I sure as hell will get out of the way and let him shovel his own poop when he insists on squatting down and laying one in front of me .
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Passing on a foul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle View Post
The calling official may have passed on a foul or some other action and awarded the ball to a team on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I also would prefer he/she come to me just in case I passed on a foul (in this case there wasn't anything to pass on).
Newbie here. Actually prebie. I am considering an attempt to become an official in a couple of years, and thought I would use free time until that point to become as familiar with the rules as possible. This forum is helping a great deal in that regard.

Based on the above quotes, I am curious to get a rules reference for a situation I observed this past Saturday. Junior College game, NCAA rules. A1 controls a defensive rebound near the corner of endline and sideline in front of B's bench. B1 immediately picks up A1 in a full court man-to-man defense. B1 swipes at ball (looked like maybe a foul but maybe not) and causes A1 to lose possession, after which the ball clearly (from where I was sitting) goes off A1's knee and out of bounds on the sideline. T blows whistle and signals Team A's ball and spot throw-in on sideline. B's bench goes crazy. B's coach stands up and yells to T that the ball went off A1's knee. T says something to B's coach in an attempt at an explanation. B's coach then immediately yells, "then call a foul, you just can't give them the ball if it went off her leg." T ignores B's coach, administers the throw-in and the game proceeds without further incident.

Does anyone have a rules reference or explanation for the practice of "passing on a foul" and awarding the ball to the team that touched it last before going out of bounds? If this has been discussed before, I apologize, I couldn't find anything using the search function. Thanks for the help.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Pass on a Foul???

I am not sure why you would ever pass on a foul. Can anyone explain? I am also a newbie and this does not make sense to me.