The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I umpire at a park in Lafayette, LA. It wants to form a committee to overturn umpire's ejections if they think it is not warranted. Do you know of other parks that do this? Do you see any problems with this??
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I personally think that it's a horrible idea. The ejection is the one weapon the umpire has to keep coaches and players in line. You step out of line, you be gone. A committee of this sorts takes that threat away because the coach knows he can appeal it and will sometimes win. Besides, all it's going to turn into is a "he said/did" battle because half the time, only the umpire and the coach will know why they were ejected. As has been said before, sometimes the most effective ejections/restrictions are the ones the fans don't even know happen. If I had a vote on this issue, it would be nay all the way. They're opening a can of worms they'll never be able to shut again if this goes through.

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

There has got to be some back story for such an idea. Care to fill us in?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

This shouldn't matter to you at all.

When is this committee going to meet? Not during the game that is for sure. So by the time they "overturn" the ejection you long gone.

Maybe they have a auto suspension for a game or two if you get ejected, so when they overturn an ejection, they might just be canceling the suspension.

But it is a stupid idea.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

story

The story to this is that the coaches feel that they have been ejectioned for no reason. Even through we proved the ruling 6.02 in the book,(batter causing balk) they still got loud and in your face. One coach was cussing over the strike zone even though we proved that the City rules said "highest point of the shoulders" all that didn't matter. They feel that out of 78 games 7 ejections shows that the umpires are "trigger happy" two of them was on 7& 8 boys again for cussing and in your face. The umpires are high school, 16 + years olds and in their 20's. The coaches are 30 something or older. Coaches are also boardmembers
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: story

Quote:
Originally posted by cyrayne
The story to this is that the coaches feel that they have been ejectioned for no reason. Even through we proved the ruling 6.02 in the book,(batter causing balk) they still got loud and in your face. One coach was cussing over the strike zone even though we proved that the City rules said "highest point of the shoulders" all that didn't matter. They feel that out of 78 games 7 ejections shows that the umpires are "trigger happy" two of them was on 7& 8 boys again for cussing and in your face. The umpires are high school, 16 + years olds and in their 20's. The coaches are 30 something or older. Coaches are also boardmembers
And people wonder why they're called rats.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

LOL. I would dearly *love* to be the first (or the next, I'll take a number!) umpire to tell the 'board' to take that league and stick it you-know-where

By doing this, you institutionalize/condone the emasculation of your young umpires and they will know they have NO backup. Good luck finding quality umpires now.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7 out of 78? Last fall, I ejected 2 players and 8 coaches within the playoffs! Then 1 player and 2 coaches in the final. All were either arguing balls & strikes or using the F-bomb nice and loud. And I wasn't on the plate for ANY of these games!

Can I come to this park in Lafayette, LA and umpire?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So basically what you have is a good ol' boy's club that want to run every aspect of the league.

Such a committee is a stupid idea at best, but if that's what the board/coaches want, you are probably going to have to deal with it. That is, if you want to keep on officiating within this league. The other option is to leave and find better places to work.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
It sounds more like they are going to appeal any mandatory suspension associated with the ejection, rather than the ejection itself. My thought is as long as they aren't finding some way to appeal the result of the game or replay the game keep ejecting people without regard to possibly having it "overturned". The primary purpose of the ejection is to get them out of the game at hand. If the associated suspension is oveturned then somebody else has to deal with them. Same person gets ejected enough, penalties will eventually be imposed.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Missing who is doing what...

Quote:
...the coaches feel that they have been ejected for no reason... Coaches are also boardmembers
So the 16-20 something year old umpire ejects the 30 something year-old coach...

Now the coaches meet as board members and say "Awww Charlie, you shouldn't bin ejectured fur that. You cain go back to coachin fur da nex game."

Yes there may have been the original penalty of not being around for the remainder of the original game but there is no real lasting consequence. So the coach got ejected from a game that he was probably loosing already. And now with the board's decision (read "his" decision), he can go back and work the same deal for the next game. PARTY - the coach is his own judge and jury. What better deal could the coach have and what worse deal could the umpire have?

This is flat wrong.

If your association wants to nurture young umpires and retain them into later years - I don't believe it will ever happen under this system. They may be young umpires but they're not stupid; they'll quit with the first gloating coach that returns for the next game.

Effin Rats.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Maybe we should have the committee just umpire the games? Then they wouldn't need to ever have a meeting.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the good old boys just need to remove the rule that says a coach ejected is suspended for the next game also, and they will not have to appeal. But they should be made aware that this will lead to more ejections.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

7 out of 78 games? WOW.

I've launched 3 coaches from one game before. At youth and rec ball levels, EJs are handed out like presents at Christmas time. The fact of the matter is that 90 percent of the coaches at these levels do not know how to behave. If this goes through, I would wash my hands at this organization and find another one to umpire for.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Angry Inmates runnin' the asylum

So the board members (who also coach) want to basically be allowed to act as badly as they want without impunity ?

I'd say find another league to work in and leave them to screw up Lafayette, LA baseball.

Doug